Dayton 55 Syracuse 53

16thBBall Fan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Riot police had too be called to the scene. Multiple fires. Not sure how bad it got.

[ATTACH]43550[/ATTACH]

Reading the Dayton Daily News a little this morning. They said Dayton PD brought out the riot squads to contain the party to several blocks in the neighborhood. Made less than a half dozen arrests for disorderly conduct. Honestly, that number isn't too different than a raucous Saturday night that gets out of hand just because it's warm out.

It helped that the team rolled back into town at about 2 am, right when the police were starting to break things up. Lots apparently went over to greet them and things sort of dissipated by about 2:30.

UD has certainly experienced much worse and I'm pleased that the students handled themselves pretty well on the whole.

Don May and Henry Finkel, wherever they may be, have to be happy.

A friend of mine sat next to one of the sons of former UD All-American Bill Uhl at the game last night. That 1956 team his senior year was probably the best squad Dayton's ever had (although I'm sure Don May and the 1967 national runners-up would beg to differ) Finished No. 2 in the polls behind only Bill Russell's national champion San Francisco Dons.

I went to a place where there are tons of OSU and UC fans on a daily basis. I couldn't find one fan of those two schools. People every where with UD basketball attire .Obviously, the UD attire looked BRAND NEW, one guy even forgot to take the tags off his new UD shirt. UD is going to need a bigger band wagon to hold the OSU and UC fans.

My daughter graduated from UD. She sent this to me a couple of years ago from her Dayton to Daytona end of year school pilgrimage. (The students seem to be a close knit group.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]43551[/ATTACH]

My wife took that same trip in 84. Cool tradition.

Dayton to Daytona was awesome. Took mine right after graduation in 2006.

You're right, Flotsam, it's a pretty close-knit place. Large enough that there's always a lot going on and has a ton of academic offerings but the Ghetto and Dark Side student neighborhoods as well as the way the Marianist Brothers organized the school can often make it feel much smaller, which is a good thing.

Love all the press for the school. Always proud to be an alumnus; really proud to be able to share it this weekend.

Moving back into the basketball aspect, I couldn't be more thrilled with the way the coaches had a plan and the team executed it. The book on how to beat Boeheim has been out there for a long time: high post in the middle of the zone; wait for your moments. Through much of the last several years, Dayton simply wouldn't have had the personnel or the smarts to actually follow through on the plan. That's credit to Archie Miller.