Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coach K's replacement

Featured Replies

  • Replies 124
  • Views 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand the whole "keep it in the family" mentality. K has created the college basketball superpower at Duke. I would pursue the best, realistic option available & not make it a prerequisite that the candidate have ties to Duke.

 

Of course, since they don't care what I think, I'm guessing Dawkins.

 

Michigan football has been caught up in this for a long time, with negligible results other than poisoning the well for any non-Michigan Men who might be stupid enough to sign on.

 

You'd think schools would learn their lesson after the Matt Doherty debacle at UNC.

Michigan football has been caught up in this for a long time, with negligible results other than poisoning the well for any non-Michigan Men who might be stupid enough to sign on.

 

You'd think schools would learn their lesson after the Matt Doherty debacle at UNC.

 

Not exactly their finest hour.

There isn't a bigger Massengill in the contiguous 48 than that cat.

 

MTGL, You just made my night with that quote! That is hilarious and agreed upon.

Well to keep this post under 100 pages I will give my opinion real quick. I'm not sure other Dukies would agree with me but they probably will. I have almost no doubt that Coach K will pick his replacement. That is a given, and I have full faith that he will choose the right person for the job. I have no doubt he already has some names in mind and its all the options already stated in this thread. Dawkins and Collins are both out right now "auditioning" for the job. Of course they're not having the greatest success, at least not yet. Those problems would more than likely vanish if they have the ability to recruit with the Duke name, instead of the likes of Stanford or Northwestern. I fully expect that Dawkins, Collins, or Wojo will have their name called upon to get the job done.

I don't understand the whole "keep it in the family" mentality. K has created the college basketball superpower at Duke. I would pursue the best, realistic option available & not make it a prerequisite that the candidate have ties to Duke.

 

Of course, since they don't care what I think, I'm guessing Dawkins.

 

Agreed. Duke could get just about anyone they want. Why settle for someone in house or only someone that has been in house? Call the best guy available.

Coach Cal

 

Funny thing is I thought to myself would I want Coach Cal to be the head at Duke and I know UK fans will flame me but I wouldnt like it. He just doesnt fit the mold of what I would want at Duke all. It could be that he is just the head coach at UK right now and it blurs my vision but no thanks.

I don't understand the whole "keep it in the family" mentality. K has created the college basketball superpower at Duke. I would pursue the best, realistic option available & not make it a prerequisite that the candidate have ties to Duke.

 

Of course, since they don't care what I think, I'm guessing Dawkins.

 

Agreed. Duke could get just about anyone they want. Why settle for someone in house or only someone that has been in house? Call the best guy available.

 

I'd like to keep this a fun conversation. So if they didnt keep it in the family who do you guys think they would go after? Keep in mind this will be 5 years down the road.

  • Author
Funny thing is I thought to myself would I want Coach Cal to be the head at Duke and I know UK fans will flame me but I wouldnt like it. He just doesnt fit the mold of what I would want at Duke all. It could be that he is just the head coach at UK right now and it blurs my vision but no thanks.

 

So if your choice was Wojo or Cal you take Wojo ? Interesting.

 

For the record I've always felt Brad Stevens was destined for Duke. Have no reason or info to back it up. Just seems like the good luck Duke has.

Pat Summit

 

I remember a while ago Geno Auriemma said something along the lines of the only way he would coach mens basketball would be to coach at Duke.

So if they didnt keep it in the family who do you guys think they would go after? Keep in mind this will be 5 years down the road.

 

For the record I've always felt Brad Stevens was destined for Duke.

 

If Stevens doesn't succeed in Boston, he's the type of guy that would be perfect for Duke IMO.

 

Billy Donovan would be another one I'd make tell me no.

So if your choice was Wojo or Cal you take Wojo ? Interesting.

 

For the record I've always felt Brad Stevens was destined for Duke. Have no reason or info to back it up. Just seems like the good luck Duke has.

 

Personally, again this is my opinion. AT DUKE I would not want Coach Cal. Now feel free to spin it as you wish, if you asked 99% of other programs in college basketball given the option of Wojo vs Cal who would you want I would say 100% would say Cal. But, seeing as how this is Duke we're talking about I wouldn't want Cal there. He just doesn't seem the fit. I want an X's and O's guy to take over.

 

As for Brad Stevens, I think consensus a year ago was that he was an ideal candidate to be the guy. Who knows what he could do. Heck, he still could. Stay in NBA til K retires and maybe make the jump back down.

If Stevens doesn't succeed in Boston, he's the type of guy that would be perfect for Duke IMO.

 

Billy Donovan would be another one I'd make tell me no.

 

If they decided to go non Duke blood my wish would be Shaka Smart. Billy D would be up there as well, along with Stevens.

  • Author
Personally, again this is my opinion. AT DUKE I would not want Coach Cal. Now feel free to spin it as you wish, if you asked 99% of other programs in college basketball given the option of Wojo vs Cal who would you want I would say 100% would say Cal. But, seeing as how this is Duke we're talking about I wouldn't want Cal there. He just doesn't seem the fit. I want an X's and O's guy to take over.

 

As for Brad Stevens, I think consensus a year ago was that he was an ideal candidate to be the guy. Who knows what he could do. Heck, he still could. Stay in NBA til K retires and maybe make the jump back down.

 

Stevens future in the NBA will depend on the next couple lotteries ala Pitino. I think he is amazing coach but you don't win NBA without elite talent unless your name is George Karl.

Stevens future in the NBA will depend on the next couple lotteries ala Pitino. I think he is amazing coach but you don't win NBA without elite talent unless your name is George Karl.

 

Exactly the reason I think 3-5 years down the road his name will come up quite a bit when its time.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.