Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

MLK Day

Featured Replies

And we just went off the rails...

 

Do we still have that squad car parked outside the gym? It might get ugly in here. :lol2:

  • Replies 49
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
King was a communist who cheated on his wife with white women. Now we have a racist "black" president, he should be so proud.

 

Did you happen to be in Somerset or Pulaski Co earlier? :ohbrother:

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Today is set aside to honor the man's life. It is appropriate to discuss, quote, remember him today.

There may still be some folks wearing sheets (physically or mentally) who have no business posting anything hypocritical, but the vast majority of folks I know genuinely support and appreciate his teachings.

If they don't, they don't tell me. I have a framed poster of Dr. King in my office. It isn't just for show.

 

I guess I don't understand the sadness. Not everyone ignores his teachings tomorrow. Assuming so is almost insulting to those of us who don't.

So what is your take on everything he did, said and accomplished during his life?

 

He was a socialist and supported the Vietnamese and he sure sounded like he wanted a world government to cure everyones problems. Sorry I'm sick of this race card PC crap.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Today is set aside to honor the man's life. It is appropriate to discuss, quote, remember him today.

There may still be some folks wearing sheets (physically or mentally) who have no business posting anything hypocritical, but the vast majority of folks I know genuinely support and appreciate his teachings.

If they don't, they don't tell me. I have a framed poster of Dr. King in my office. It isn't just for show.

 

I guess I don't understand the sadness. Not everyone ignores his teachings tomorrow. Assuming so is almost insulting to those of us who don't.

 

I agree with you.

 

PP, I don't know how old you are, but I remember MLK. I also remember what the world was like when he made his famous speech.

 

He was instrumental in helping this country turn from hatred to acceptance of our differences. Is racism still around, and could things be better? Yes, for sure. Had he lived things probably would be better. Still, we have come a long way since the 60's.

 

It shouldn't be a sad day, because that implies he had no impact in the world. He had a significant impact, and should be remembered, which is why we have MLK day.

  • Author
Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Today is set aside to honor the man's life. It is appropriate to discuss, quote, remember him today.

There may still be some folks wearing sheets (physically or mentally) who have no business posting anything hypocritical, but the vast majority of folks I know genuinely support and appreciate his teachings.

If they don't, they don't tell me. I have a framed poster of Dr. King in my office. It isn't just for show.

 

I guess I don't understand the sadness. Not everyone ignores his teachings tomorrow. Assuming so is almost insulting to those of us who don't.

 

Then my post shouldn't affect you.

  • Author
I agree with you.

 

PP, I don't know how old you are, but I remember MLK. I also remember what the world was like when he made his famous speech.

 

He was instrumental in helping this country turn from hatred to acceptance of our differences. Is racism still around, and could things be better? Yes, for sure. Had he lived things probably would be better. Still, we have come a long way since the 60's.

 

It shouldn't be a sad day, because that implies he had no impact in the world. He had a significant impact, and should be remembered, which is why we have MLK day.

 

39 turning 40 this year.

 

I know he has had an impact on the world. I just don't feel like people as a whole truly practice his teachings. People spend too much time trying to tear others down instead of trying to fix the problem. Mention Obama and watch people lose their minds. What are people doing to fix it? Nothing. Nothing at all. Nobody is becoming active in the community or becoming closer to their legislators to see if they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. A large percentage of the same people posting the MLK quotes on Facebook will be the same people posting cute little pictures that support their political cause and belittle others who aren't in agreement with them. I am somewhat guilty except I didn't post any MLK quotes today but I'll be out fighting amongst the masses and posting cute little pictures from time to time also.

What do I take away from honoring a man such as MLK today? That ordinary people CAN effect extraordinary change. That peaceful means CAN be as effective as war. That a cause one believes is worth dying for. That the pen CAN be mightier than the sword. That we will always need people who fight for equality. That the derision lobbed toward those who seek to right injustice is largely lobbed by people who fear losing control.

 

I don't think these things only today. I believe these things everyday, about many people living and dead.

Can someone explain to me why all the schools are closed on MLK day? Perfect opportunity to teach our youth about many different issues on this day but instead we send them home to the xbox all day, never understand this.

  • Author
Can someone explain to me why all the schools are closed on MLK day? Perfect opportunity to teach our youth about many different issues on this day but instead we send them home to the xbox all day, never understand this.

 

Decades ago there was a push to give him a national holiday. I'd say some teachers discuss MLK this time of the year. Also, the issues used to be discussed in Black History Month in February. At least in the schools I attended it was.

39 turning 40 this year.

 

I know he has had an impact on the world. I just don't feel like people as a whole truly practice his teachings. People spend too much time trying to tear others down instead of trying to fix the problem. Mention Obama and watch people lose their minds. What are people doing to fix it? Nothing. Nothing at all. Nobody is becoming active in the community or becoming closer to their legislators to see if they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. A large percentage of the same people posting the MLK quotes on Facebook will be the same people posting cute little pictures that support their political cause and belittle others who aren't in agreement with them. I am somewhat guilty except I didn't post any MLK quotes today but I'll be out fighting amongst the masses and posting cute little pictures from time to time also.

 

Those who react negatively to Obama is because of his politics, not his skin color. I thought that Jimmy Carter was too liberal.

With that said, I will admit there is a small % who dislike him for his skin color.

  • Author
Those who react negatively to Obama is because of his politics, not his skin color. I thought that Jimmy Carter was too liberal.

With that said, I will admit there is a small % who dislike him for his skin color.

 

I'm not talking about skin color though. There are plenty of MLK quotes that are perfect quotes to live by that have nothing to do with skin color.

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy"

 

One of my a favorite quotes. I have it in my classroom and the locker room.

Can someone explain to me why all the schools are closed on MLK day? Perfect opportunity to teach our youth about many different issues on this day but instead we send them home to the xbox all day, never understand this.

 

I have wondered the same thing. President's Day is a National Holiday but schools use this day as a make-up day but not MLK day. I believe that President's Day should be as sacred or even more so than MLK Day. Really don't understand why MLK Day takes rank over Presidents Day.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.