Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is the NFL doing the Bengals/Marvin Lewis a favor?

Featured Replies

  • Author
You really think the NFL is going to compromise the integrity of the game to help a minority coach win a playoff game???

 

I've heard some good ones before, but my goodness this takes the cake. That's beyond ridiculous.

 

I think they NFL can say it is marketing/money/etc. just like you said and no one can disprove it and if a minority coach just happened to do well that is icing on the cake for the NFL.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not saying I agree with the guru on this one, however I believe the early game on Saturday is at 4. So it would have made more sense to have the Bengals/San Diego at that time slot, instead of playing at what is 10 in the morning for them. So not sure what went into the thinking for it, however I know as a Bengals fan I am happy with it.

I am not saying I agree with the guru on this one, however I believe the early game on Saturday is at 4. So it would have made more sense to have the Bengals/San Diego at that time slot, instead of playing at what is 10 in the morning for them. So not sure what went into the thinking for it, however I know as a Bengals fan I am happy with it.

 

And I'd bet the house that the Chargers would've considered that a bigger disadvantage than playing the early game on Sunday. They'd much rather have the extra days rest considering the cross-country travel.

And I'd bet the house that the Chargers would've considered that a bigger disadvantage than playing the early game on Sunday. They'd much rather have the extra days rest considering the cross-country travel.

 

Maybe, maybe not. As a Bengal I am happy with the time of the game.

If the Chargers really wanted the Saturday game then all they have to do is go to Cinn a day early. Then the early start time on Sunday isn't an issue.

I find it too big of a stretch that the NFL set the playoff schedule up so Marvin had a better chance to win a playoff game. Aside from an African-American coach getting a playoff win (which is positive), how would that influence getting more African Americans into a head coaching position?? As you mention, Mike Tomlin was the last to be hired as part of a search...he's won a Super Bowl, and apparently that didn't change anything. Marvin winning a first round playoff game won't likely change anything either. If the Bengals win, the bigger story will be the fact that the Bengals won a playoff game, not that their coach is African American.

  • Author
I find it too big of a stretch that the NFL set the playoff schedule up so Marvin had a better chance to win a playoff game. Aside from an African-American coach getting a playoff win (which is positive), how would that influence getting more African Americans into a head coaching position?? As you mention, Mike Tomlin was the last to be hired as part of a search...he's won a Super Bowl, and apparently that didn't change anything. Marvin winning a first round playoff game won't likely change anything either. If the Bengals win, the bigger story will be the fact that the Bengals won a playoff game, not that their coach is African American.

 

I would go back to what I believe Tony Dungy said prior to him winning the Super Bowl. I believe it was something about all the past pictures of head coaches holding the trophy were white. With that in mind, who would you hire if you were an owner. Tomlin REALLY helped the cause but there is a long way to go and every little bit (Marvin winning in the postseason) helps.

Networks select games, I thought. NBC has dibs and picked an NFC and AFC game. Fox and CBS get what's left over and their time slot is predetermined. Am I wrong on this?

  • Author
Networks select games, I thought. NBC has dibs and picked an NFC and AFC game. Fox and CBS get what's left over and their time slot is predetermined. Am I wrong on this?

 

I have no idea but I strongly assume the NFL decides which teams play in which time slots first.

No matter where you come from or go to,I think all coaches would rather have the extra day. They are routine driven and like to plan according to the same routine. This isn't the Chargers first trip east this year, all the west caost teams know how to handle it. If anything, the NFL wanted the Chargers and 49ers on Sunday because of the travel. I would find it very hard to believe the NFL is doing the Bengals a favor.

TV drives the time slots and who plays in them not the NFL. Guaranteed if it were Indy in the 2 slot and NE and CIN in 3 and 4 slots NE would get the Sunday game no matter who they were playing.

I have no idea but I strongly assume the NFL decides which teams play in which time slots first.

 

I really think you have that wrong based on a Google searches I have done.

  • Author
I really think you have that wrong based on a Google searches I have done.

 

I was asking a question, please show us what you have found.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.