Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is the NFL doing the Bengals/Marvin Lewis a favor?

Featured Replies

I think the NFL is more concerned with additional games in London/expansion.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you and UK are in the NFC/marketing group, others say the Networks determine it, and I say ultimately the NFL decides it and the NFL considers numerous factors to generate as much money as possible in the short term and the long term. If that makes me kookoo for coca puffs then I proudly embrace it!

 

pmjzBNpFmT-2.png

 

NFL scheduling vs a Guru angle on black coaching leg ups as a result of scheduling? Would you like 2% or Vitamin D milk? :jump:

I like others have said would be extremely surprised the NFL gave anyone an advantage knowingly. I think it's all tv generated and I had heard that NBC gets the pick. The thing I wonder is why did NBC not pick GB/SF?

I like others have said would be extremely surprised the NFL gave anyone an advantage knowingly. I think it's all tv generated and I had heard that NBC gets the pick. The thing I wonder is why did NBC not pick GB/SF?

 

Philly market. Prime slots always go to NFC East teams. 30 million people watched last nights game according to Neilsen.

 

"Saints’ 26-24 Victory on Final Play at Eagles in NFC Wild Card Earns 20.5/33 Overnight – up 12% From ’13 and No. 2 Primetime Wild Card Game of All-Time"

 

 

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/01/05/nbcs-wild-card-saturday-is-up-9-from-last-year/226732/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

  • Author
Sunday night TV audience is always more than Saturdays.

 

Sunday afternoon in this case, correct?

 

I think NBC did the best they could given the NFL's parameters that we may never know about.

Sunday afternoon in this case, correct?

 

I think NBC did the best they could given the NFL's parameters that we may never know about.

 

From Philly.com

 

The same logic applies to the scheduling of playoff games. Every matchup will draw lots of attention, but the NFL does what it can to ensure the highest ratings possible.

 

"It's a balancing act for the NFL," Gaudelli said. "There are more people in front of their television sets on Sunday than there are on Saturday, and that goes for Saturday night as well. You're going to have a bigger audience on Sunday. But we've always been given an attractive matchup in the prime time game."

From Philly.com

 

The same logic applies to the scheduling of playoff games. Every matchup will draw lots of attention, but the NFL does what it can to ensure the highest ratings possible.

 

"It's a balancing act for the NFL," Gaudelli said. "There are more people in front of their television sets on Sunday than there are on Saturday, and that goes for Saturday night as well. You're going to have a bigger audience on Sunday. But we've always been given an attractive matchup in the prime time game."

 

That makes it seem like NBC has no say which would make Guru's theory more plausible.

  • Author
That makes it seem like NBC has no say which would make Guru's theory more plausible.

 

Looks like exactly what I said, the NFL manipulates the games for maximum advancement of the league.

My translation (or maybe just reading between the lines):

 

NO PLAYOFF GAME IN PRIMETIME IF ONE OF THE TEAMS IS THE CINCINNATI BENGALS

So you and UK are in the NFC/marketing group, others say the Networks determine it, and I say ultimately the NFL decides it and the NFL considers numerous factors to generate as much money as possible in the short term and the long term. If that makes me kookoo for coca puffs then I proudly embrace it!

 

 

Maybe I'm wrong, as I can't speak for Content1 and UKMustangFan, but I think that we and born2reign would probably agree that the 'network' and 'marketing' people that you categorize differently are essentially classified the same in our books.

 

The NFL Playoffs would be all about marketing for a network. You know you'll have a national audience and it will be full of the 25-35 year old male demographic that some advertisers really love. It's also a really high risk, unpredictable game given that the "draft" order is essentially auctioned off. The catch is that no one really knows what they're bidding on until the dust has settled in the final week of the regular season. The fact that the NFL now uses a "flex" schedule where the most meaningful Week 17 games get later slots essentially assures that.

 

Sure, someone might know that, say, Cincinnati (not a very desirable market... no offense, it's just small and the Bengals don't have any kind of cult national following like other teams...) was probably going to be the #3 seed and host. However, whether they'd end up playing Pittsburgh (a divisional rivalry), Baltimore (see Pittsburgh, but probably doesn't have quite as much luster), San Diego (not really much history and another small market), Miami (not a bad market, but not really a "football town" with the Heat doing their thing), or New York (a town whose market could sell a game itself).

 

The unpredictability and the bidding process works to make marketing a huge part of the game. Networks have a quick turn around to map out commercial slots (which pay their bills), things like story lines and analysis for their pre-game and post-game show, and their own "hype" for the game through advertising it on their own network at wholesale costs.

 

Because of all of this, I would argue that the networks are essentially marketers in the whole scheme of things when it comes to their selection.

That makes it seem like NBC has no say which would make Guru's theory more plausible.

 

Maybe I am reading this incorrectly- but doesn't the NFL exec say "we've always been given an attractive matchup in the prime time game"? Isn't he referring to the networks giving the game? Wouldn't that show that the networks select the game? :idunno:

Looks like exactly what I said, the NFL manipulates the games for maximum advancement of the league.

 

Actually the article said it pretty much is the NFL and the networks together ( I assume on a conference call) and that each network can plead and make demands and get concessions but the NFL is going to put the game that they think will have the best ratings in the spot they think will draw the most advertising dollars.

Actually the article said it pretty much is the NFL and the networks together ( I assume on a conference call) and that each network can plead and make demands and get concessions but the NFL is going to put the game that they think will have the best ratings in the spot they think will draw the most advertising dollars.

 

This is the quote that answers my question:

 

""You can lobby and politick all you want, but at the end of the day, the NFL makes the decision on what games you get," he said.

 

Read more at Eagles set for unprecedented third straight prime time NFL telecast"

 

The "He" in the article is Fred Gaudelli, NBC's lead NFL producer. I was wrong about who picks the games.

 

Guru is still loony toons with his theory, though. If the NFL wanted to give Marvin an advantage, they would have coerced Peyton Manning to sign there, or force Mike Brown out or something that would very likely lead to the Bengals having success under Marvin's tenure- JMO.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.