Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is the NFL doing the Bengals/Marvin Lewis a favor?

Featured Replies

Networks select games, I thought. NBC has dibs and picked an NFC and AFC game. Fox and CBS get what's left over and their time slot is predetermined. Am I wrong on this?

 

I was under the impression that networks "drafted" which games they wanted when the appropriate time came. That's the lure of bidding more to host the primetime game on your network and makes the NFL the most $ in the end.

 

Cincinnati and San Diego are two teams in relatively small markets and there's not a really compelling storyline in this one.

 

I could see some crazy owner like Jerry Jones having an injury and offering a huge stipend to some network to pick his game as the late one on Sunday so his star would have more time to heal an injury than the NFL getting involved for the sake of Marvin Lewis.

  • Replies 65
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

 

Please post the specific passages that support your argument? Onswipe doesn't work well for me but the other two are speculative other than the Crowe's Nest says:

 

The NFL does have the right though to change things up a bit.

 

Also, I have found on numerous places on the web this:

 

Commissioner ROGER GOODELL announced today the schedule of sites, dates and times for the National Football League Wild Card Playoffs on January 4-5 and Divisional Playoffs on January 11-12 (all times Eastern):

Not Saying I believe the NFL is doing this, but I have seen large companies put employees in very high positions (that may or may not be qualified for them) to promote diversity. Anyway it is an interesting point of view that can't be proven or disproven. I wouldn't be shocked if it was going on.

Not Saying I believe the NFL is doing this, but I have seen large companies put employees in very high positions (that may or may not be qualified for them) to promote diversity. Anyway it is an interesting point of view that can't be proven or disproven. I wouldn't be shocked if it was going on.

 

Then shame on them because there are many diverse groups of people whi are qualified. That's just stupid. If you want the diversity then find the right people and not put an unqualified person in there.

  • Author

 

Interesting for sure (and it is from the past). Either way, I would like to see either the NFL or the Networks tell us exactly how it is done. All the cloak and dagger stuff makes me lean harder the NFL is up to something.

 

Think about the NFL as a whole and about their track record on concussions, medical benefits for retired players, the Rooney Rule, etc. and then tell me this isn't possible!?

"For the Wild Card round of the playoffs NBC picks their games first. They have the two games on Saturday. They will pick one AFC and one NFC game and determine the time slot the two games will be played. CBS and Fox are left with the two remaining games on Sunday. CBS gets the AFC game and Fox gets the NFC."

Onswipe

 

I think the NFL only steps in if you have two West Coast teams left on a Sunday because the league doesn't want a 1 EST Sunday game that would start at 10 AM locally based on the Crowe's Nest.

 

I do believe the league makes the scheduling announcements, regardless of playoffs or regular season, so that phraseology you have seen is not unusual.

Interesting for sure (and it is from the past). Either way, I would like to see either the NFL or the Networks tell us exactly how it is done. All the cloak and dagger stuff makes me lean harder the NFL is up to something.

 

Think about the NFL as a whole and about their track record on concussions, medical benefits for retired players, the Rooney Rule, etc. and then tell me this isn't possible!?

 

This, I believe, applies to the contract through this year. The TV deal changes next season with NBC getting a Divisional round playoff game.

  • Author
"For the Wild Card round of the playoffs NBC picks their games first. They have the two games on Saturday. They will pick one AFC and one NFC game and determine the time slot the two games will be played. CBS and Fox are left with the two remaining games on Sunday. CBS gets the AFC game and Fox gets the NFC."

Onswipe

 

I think the NFL only steps in if you have two West Coast teams left on a Sunday because the league doesn't want a 1 EST Sunday game that would start at 10 AM locally based on the Crowe's Nest.

 

I do believe the league makes the scheduling announcements, regardless of playoffs or regular season, so that phraseology you have seen is not unusual.

 

Same as Joker's link.

 

Still, I would like to hear it from the NFL/Networks. This doesn't pass the smell test.

Same as Joker's link.

 

Still, I would like to hear it from the NFL/Networks. This doesn't pass the smell test.

 

But the NFL changing the start time for a game to give an African American coach an advantage to win a game in order to elevate all minority coaches does pass the smell test...um, ok. :idunno:

 

Incidentally, do you have any information stating that the league selects the tv programming schedule? I would like to see that- all I have seen you post is Roger Goddell announcing the schedule.

 

No need to follow up- we can just agree to disagree. :thumb:

  • Author
But the NFL changing the start time for a game to give an African American coach an advantage to win a game in order to elevate all minority coaches does pass the smell test...um, ok. :idunno:

 

Incidentally, do you have any information stating that the league selects the tv programming schedule? I would like to see that- all I have seen you post is Roger Goddell announcing the schedule.

 

No need to follow up- we can just agree to disagree. :thumb:

 

I am not set in my opinions on this. I find it interesting. And no I don't have anything to support my speculation or who actually decides the game. At the same time, there is nothing to the contrary either.

 

So we don't have to agree to disagree. All we "have" agree on is none of us know for sure because no one official is on the record.

Same as Joker's link.

 

Still, I would like to hear it from the NFL/Networks. This doesn't pass the smell test.

 

Guru you come up with good topics. But sometimes your conspiracy theories makes me wonder if you and mountain ref are the same person. Can anyone confirm they've seen them in the same room?

They wouldn't. The timing of the games is all about ratings and marketing. They're playing the early game because the NFL knows the NFC games will be a better ratings draw in the primetime slots.

 

I'm thinking this as well since it has pretty much been the case for years.

 

Someone might need to get on netflix and watch a couple of the Bourne flics to get it out of their system. Everyone handles the post holidays a little differently folks. It was a super moon this week :loll: .

  • Author
I'm thinking this as well since it has pretty much been the case for years.

 

Someone might need to get on netflix and watch a couple of the Bourne flics to get it out of their system. Everyone handles the post holidays a little differently folks. It was a super moon this week :loll: .

 

So you and UK are in the NFC/marketing group, others say the Networks determine it, and I say ultimately the NFL decides it and the NFL considers numerous factors to generate as much money as possible in the short term and the long term. If that makes me kookoo for coca puffs then I proudly embrace it!

 

pmjzBNpFmT-2.png

I think if the NFL wanted to do something to help Cincy's team, they'd push to legalize weed in Ohio and wouldn't select their players for "random" drug tests in the same way that most of Seattle's secondary has been busted.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.