Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is the NFL doing the Bengals/Marvin Lewis a favor?

Featured Replies

Actually the article said it pretty much is the NFL and the networks together ( I assume on a conference call) and that each network can plead and make demands and get concessions but the NFL is going to put the game that they think will have the best ratings in the spot they think will draw the most advertising dollars.

 

 

I'd think the networks themselves, not the NFL, knows which games will get said networks the greatest advertising $$$.

 

NFL picks the games and overrules a network on the game that the network themselves wants one time and it goes wrong, that's an unhappy customer, but it's not just any customer to the NFL. At the very, very least, I'm guessing they let the networks at least "think" they have a huge say in what game they get and if they were right, after the network has failed a few times, they could subtly say, "remember when I told you...".

  • Replies 65
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the quote that answers my question:

 

""You can lobby and politick all you want, but at the end of the day, the NFL makes the decision on what games you get," he said.

 

Read more at Eagles set for unprecedented third straight prime time NFL telecast"

 

The "He" in the article is Fred Gaudelli, NBC's lead NFL producer. I was wrong about who picks the games.

 

Guru is still loony toons with his theory, though. If the NFL wanted to give Marvin an advantage, they would have coerced Peyton Manning to sign there, or force Mike Brown out or something that would very likely lead to the Bengals having success under Marvin's tenure- JMO.

 

 

Here's one from Sports Illustrated, whose word I'll take over a Philly.com article the week after the Eagles were eliminated. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle though. This article definitely doesn't address the issue of who decides the games head on, but it give some insights into the demographics and talks about the importance of the NFC East market.

 

I think one thing people may underestimate is that viewers/ratings do not necessarily equal purchasing power, q-scores, etc. For instance, I'd rather have a lesser audience, with some watching a streaming broadcast on their high definition laptops, tablets, or smartphones, than a larger audience with some watching via television with all of their buddies while they talk during commercials. As a guy, I'd rather be the guy bro'ing out and watching with my buddies on a tv while we talk through the commercials, but I'm probably not as likely to buy something featured in an ad as someone whose watching on their retina display, HD tablet that's just a toy they are carrying around.

  • Author
This is the quote that answers my question:

 

""You can lobby and politick all you want, but at the end of the day, the NFL makes the decision on what games you get," he said.

 

Read more at Eagles set for unprecedented third straight prime time NFL telecast"

 

The "He" in the article is Fred Gaudelli, NBC's lead NFL producer. I was wrong about who picks the games.

 

Guru is still loony toons with his theory, though. If the NFL wanted to give Marvin an advantage, they would have coerced Peyton Manning to sign there, or force Mike Brown out or something that would very likely lead to the Bengals having success under Marvin's tenure- JMO.

 

It sounds like Coco Puffs got it right!

So, I guess you think the NFL is doing the Panthers a favor since they have a black QB (and a minority coach), so they put them as the 1:00 game on Sunday this week against San Fran?

  • Author
So, I guess you think the NFL is doing the Panthers a favor since they have a black QB (and a minority coach), so they put them as the 1:00 game on Sunday this week against San Fran?

 

Not necessarily, the NFL is in a bind this week with start times and too many west coast teams still alive.

I'd think the networks themselves, not the NFL, knows which games will get said networks the greatest advertising $$$.

 

NFL picks the games and overrules a network on the game that the network themselves wants one time and it goes wrong, that's an unhappy customer, but it's not just any customer to the NFL. At the very, very least, I'm guessing they let the networks at least "think" they have a huge say in what game they get and if they were right, after the network has failed a few times, they could subtly say, "remember when I told you...".

 

Well the networks are battling each other not the NFL. Of course they know which games and times will get the highest ratings but Fox is going to lobby for their best interest and NBC is going to lobby for their interest. Then after they make their case they (NFL and networks) come to an agreement about which days and times for which teams. Everybody wins in the end. It is just a process whereby the NFL tries to maximize the win.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.