Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Revisiting the "running clock" rule

Featured Replies

After a season of watching, thinking (yes, I'm aware that's dangerous with me), listening to other opinions on this 36 pt. lead / running clock rule I have decided that I am against it.

I have thought it over and believe that just bc a team is far superior to an opponent that their kids playing time should not be cut. That teams players have worked busted their butt to get that good and deserve playing time. Most high school players football days are over when they have played their last game of their Senior year of high school. Only a few, when looking at the big picture get to continue playing the game they love post high school, most don't play college ball.

I absolutely do not want to see any team run up the score or a team getting embarrassed. I was wanting to know what everyone thought about this idea to imo cover both the game going the full 4 qtrs. and scores held down as much as possible.......How about when a lead gets to whatever is decided on, this past season was 36 pts. - That team in the lead will be required to substitute all that is possible, pull All Starters (a list of starters, O and D to be turned in before the start of the game) and substitute their younger kids/JV/Frosh, etc.. This imo would get the younger kids and/or non starters far more playing time, much deserved and needed game experience along with keeping an idiot, ego maniac coach from pounding a team, which benefits no one. Most coaches imo already substitute liberally when the game is in hand.

I personally believe that this would benefit all involved. What are others opinions on this and/or are there any other ideas ?

I have not given it much thought to this point Been to busy with the season :ylsuper:) IDK, seemed like it moved games on too fast for me. I have not yet figured out my position on this

 

Of course I also only experience one side of this too or atleast so far

Edited by Toothpick

I like the rule myself. If there's that much of a mismatch, I say get it over with ASAP.

I'm not a fan of the running clock in football or basketball.

Keep the clock, get it over with.

After a season of watching, thinking (yes, I'm aware that's dangerous with me), listening to other opinions on this 36 pt. lead / running clock rule I have decided that I am against it.

I have thought it over and believe that just bc a team is far superior to an opponent that their kids playing time should not be cut. That teams players have worked busted their butt to get that good and deserve playing time. Most high school players football days are over when they have played their last game of their Senior year of high school. Only a few, when looking at the big picture get to continue playing the game they love post high school, most don't play college ball.

I absolutely do not want to see any team run up the score or a team getting embarrassed. I was wanting to know what everyone thought about this idea to imo cover both the game going the full 4 qtrs. and scores held down as much as possible.......How about when a lead gets to whatever is decided on, this past season was 36 pts. - That team in the lead will be required to substitute all that is possible, pull All Starters (a list of starters, O and D to be turned in before the start of the game) and substitute their younger kids/JV/Frosh, etc.. This imo would get the younger kids and/or non starters far more playing time, much deserved and needed game experience along with keeping an idiot, ego maniac coach from pounding a team, which benefits no one. Most coaches imo already substitute liberally when the game is in hand.

I personally believe that this would benefit all involved. What are others opinions on this and/or are there any other ideas ?

 

I don't like the 36 point rule. Games can turn, just ask Highlands. Like Toothpick said the games go to fast and it seems that some of the underclassmen doesn't get enough playing time against someone other than their team mates.

I guess I'm for it unless the score gets back under 36. Turn it off then, until it gets back to 36 (or whatever the number is).

Make it 30 points in the 4th qtr. or if the trailing team wants to invoke it at the start of the 2nd half if his team is down by an insurmountable margin.

Busted by SNAKE!!

Keep the clock!

If you want to keep it at 36 then do not start it until after half time. Otherwise raise it to 40 or 42.

 

The purpose of the rule is to basically declare a winner at the time the clock goes running - so that both teams can let off the gas, substitute, etc. to keep the game safe. Because of that once it starts - it should stay going. But raise it or start it after half time.

Make it 30 points in the 4th qtr. or if the trailing team wants to invoke it at the start of the 2nd half if his team is down by an insurmountable margin.

 

I can go for this.

I like the rule myself. If there's that much of a mismatch, I say get it over with ASAP.

 

Likewise.

Make it 30 points in the 4th qtr. or if the trailing team wants to invoke it at the start of the 2nd half if his team is down by an insurmountable margin.

 

I like the 4th quarter rule...it will be hard to get many coaches to just give up and ask for it though. What ever it is if there is a running clock it will have to be automatic.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.