Covington Catholic 42 Johnson Central 14

Birdsfan

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think some are beating the weak schedule thing a bit too much. Give Cov Cath credit for the great game plan and execution last night. JC could have played a better schedule and been 7-3 or 6-4 and still got it handed to them last night the Cath played.

Agree with this....the bottom line is when you run 95 percent of the time and the teams you play run it 95 percent of the time then you are predictable. JC has the best running team in the mountains but teams like that cant play from behind against quality balanced teams like CCH and Highlands. These two teams have been there road blocks for the last 6 years. My advice for JC if you want to go further in the playoffs then start throwing the ball and work on defending the pass. JMO great season still for JC.

In the game? It was 42-14, I guess the refs will beat CCH next week.

I guess this is where I say that I wasn't talking to you? But then since you weren't there you have no idea what I'm talking about. Just relax and start your own HHS thread.

CovCath is peaking at the right time. This game (as usual) was won in the trenches. The Colonel o-line dominated the JC defense of front 7. The Colonels used a variety fronts and personnel groupings to stymie the JC offense. Luke Bir is finally healthy as is the o-line, and it really showed last night. Sam Burchell was on top of his game last night. He controlled the running lanes from tackle to tackle. Ben Dressman has gone from a shaky, fundamentally challenged QB to a confident play maker.

Not sure if they have improved enough to challenge the Birds next week, but they have improved as much as I have seen any HS team do in a 9 week stretch. (I'm talking about after the injuries from the Dixie game). It at least make next weeks game to look forward to.

Agree with this....the bottom line is when you run 95 percent of the time and the teams you play run it 95 percent of the time then you are predictable. JC has the best running team in the mountains but teams like that cant play from behind against quality balanced teams like CCH and Highlands. These two teams have been there road blocks for the last 6 years. My advice for JC if you want to go further in the playoffs then start throwing the ball and work on defending the pass. JMO great season still for JC.

Would agree. The rain and the O line of CCH didn't really make passing necessary, but I was really shocked at the lack of safety help up the middle in their defense line up......Once the CCH rb's got into the LB's they we running to daylight.............The first TD pass from Ben D was to a ridiculously open receiver over the middle........

On another note.....This is not the same Ben Dressman that we saw in the Dixie game. Tough, great decision making (minus the one toss across his body....but he did put it in a good spot and big bro Sam would usually be there and would have had the height to make the catch), fast (out ran the d last night), accurate.....but mostly...MATURE. He did the little things last night that you can build a program around.......the last drive, staying in bounds, protecting the ball, etc....:thumb:

First time down to JC, thanks for the hospitality........

Different players? I am confused?

Burchell was playing on one foot, Oberhausen was playing with a broken hand, Nelms was in and out injured, Schmahl was playing but was sick, Miller wasn't getting the reps he is now and 10th graders Stein, and Pitzer were still new and learning.

Nope, not even close to the same "D"!

BTW to the majority of the CovCath Faithful! Thank you, for believing in the Coaches and Players and sticking with them.

For the doubters, welcome back!

When many were saying after the Dixie game, when Wags and Bir went down in back to back plays and with Burchell out, CovCath would be lucky to go 5-5!

Well these kids showed everybody in NKy and around the Commonwealth,that they have that "Spirit that will not Die" attitude, when many teams and players would have just packed it up and quit, no these kids didn't and it was next man up and now with players coming back, it's going to be fun!

Get there early as Cecil Memorial will be packed and packed early!

Well these kids showed everybody in NKy and around the Commonwealth,that they have that "Spirit that will not Die" attitude, when many teams and players would have just packed it up and quit, no these kids didn't and it was next man up and now with players coming back, it's going to be fun! [/size][/font]

Get there early as Cecil Memorial will be packed and packed early!

This...

This is the CovCath team we all have come to love and respect...Welcome back and we look forward to a dandy in Ft Thomas Friday nite....I never doubted the Blueboys:thumb:

I might have doubted whether or not Highlands vs CovCath would ever play again because of the whole JV thingy...