33 members have voted

1. 1. Mayfield at Caldwell County

• Mayfield (9-0)
    • Caldwell County (9-0)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be, but Guhy will be running for his life and Sindelar will be throwing strikes to his receivers a;; night, at least until my Tigers get up enough to put the JV Tigers into the game.

Dream, you have no idea how often we hear this talk. Every year there is a new kid on the block who thinks this is the first time there has ever been a team come along like theirs. We are use to all this and all the banter. Now you do have a fine team, no denying it but to us its business as usual :laugh:

Mayfield is good. No doubt about it. Maybe the best Caldwell has seen all year. No, not maybe IS. Yes, Mayfield has been a powerhouse for the last several years, and comfortable with the big games. This is Mayfield's biggest advantage. Caldwell's advantage is they are hungry. They want this like no other. Yes, it is about getting respect. QB advantage goes to Caldwell. No doubt. Yes Mayfield has played some better opponents, but Sindelar has mad decent teams look like the bad news bears. Guyh has not. The RB situation is a push imo. Mayfield has a strong backfield, but so does Caldwell. WR advantage Caldwell. Just too many weapons there. Offensive line push. Both teams seem to be able to control the line very well. Both give good space for RB and time for their respective QBs. Kicking game slight advantage to Caldwell. Two reasons: one punting - Sindelar's ability to get off good kicks and ability to turn a 4th down into a first down are obvious advantages. I have not seen Mayfileds kicker do much, but he seems pretty solid. Seymore is very good with a super leg. He gets a slight advantage. Defensively is a push. Both seem pretty good against the run and soft in the secondary. Home field advantage will work to the Tigers side. Huge crowd expected Friday. Penalties will be an issue to watch for. Caldwell can not afford to let the refs take them out of this game. It should play to be one heck of a game. Caldwell 56 - Mafield 52.

I will be rooting for the Cardinals to bring home the 1A title too. Y'all should come up early and go to Pagliai's with me around 4 pm and then get to the field early to get a seat!.

That is all fine and dandy but they don't get rings for that. Beechwood has beaten two of the last 3 2A champs and it means nothing. I know you aren't looking at it that way and bragging rights are fun but it is all worthless talk.

If Caldwell wants to win a title, don't pull starters. Put it all on the line in this one and find out who you are. That is why you schedule this game - to get tested by fire against a great program, find out your weaknesses before you have the tough game in the playoffs.

I want to hear more about the running backs. I am told Caldwell Co. has a junior RB that is very explosive. Who is getting the carries for Mayfield? Stats on these two?

Edited by Voice of Reason

I may be, but Guhy will be running for his life and Sindelar will be throwing strikes to his receivers a;; night, at least until my Tigers get up enough to put the JV Tigers into the game.

Bold - very difficult to get pressure on Mayfield QB's. In their offense, the pass plays are quick routes and not much sit in the pocket downfield stuff. Guhy makes good reads and gets rid of the ball. Plus, the offensive line is good. To get pressure, your DB's better be good, fast and coached up on their reads to know where the ball is going and try to take the first couple options away to give your rushers time to get there.

Mayfield is good. No doubt about it. Maybe the best Caldwell has seen all year. No, not maybe IS. Yes, Mayfield has been a powerhouse for the last several years, and comfortable with the big games. This is Mayfield's biggest advantage. Caldwell's advantage is they are hungry. They want this like no other. Yes, it is about getting respect. QB advantage goes to Caldwell. No doubt. Yes Mayfield has played some better opponents, but Sindelar has mad decent teams look like the bad news bears. Guyh has not. The RB situation is a push imo. Mayfield has a strong backfield, but so does Caldwell. WR advantage Caldwell. Just too many weapons there. Offensive line push. Both teams seem to be able to control the line very well. Both give good space for RB and time for their respective QBs. Kicking game slight advantage to Caldwell. Two reasons: one punting - Sindelar's ability to get off good kicks and ability to turn a 4th down into a first down are obvious advantages. I have not seen Mayfileds kicker do much, but he seems pretty solid. Seymore is very good with a super leg. He gets a slight advantage. Defensively is a push. Both seem pretty good against the run and soft in the secondary. Home field advantage will work to the Tigers side. Huge crowd expected Friday. Penalties will be an issue to watch for. Caldwell can not afford to let the refs take them out of this game. It should play to be one heck of a game. Caldwell 56 - Mafield 52.

Nice

I doubt you are equal to us on the line. This is one of Mayfield's best ever. Running back we are adequate. We have a way better than average kicker. We have faced Sindelar twice so Mayfield has an idea what to expect. I look at like this, if we can play and beat McCracken County (with 4 turnovers) we can beat Caldwell County.

I don't believe Caldwell would go undefeated against Mayfield's schedule. While I'm not quite as sure of victory as I was against Russelville , I believe that if Mayfield can have some success shutting down CC passing game , Mayfield can win this game. I don't see 2 teams in the 50's, more low 40's to high 30's.

Mayfield's kicker is above average I agree. But, I think Seymore is better than that. I too was sure of a Mayfield win against Russellville. Just not enough talent to get over on Mayfield. But, I don't know about being Caldwell not being undefeated with Mayfield's schedule. Other than Tilghman and McCracken County, the schedules are pretty similar. Both teams took care of Ft. Campbell. The Murray game seems to be the one in question. I believe Murray gave Mayfield all they wanted with Mayfield having a slow start. Murray was beaten pretty handily by Caldwell (42-13) and never really posted a threat other than being close really early. As far as Mayfield goes, I think everyone would agree they are glad to have played McCracken in only their second game ever. Don't think either Caldwell or Mayfield would want much of them this time of year. Tilghman and Calwell would have also been a good game, and i think that Caldwell would come out with a slight victory there. Comparitively these two teams are very close. Be a good one to see. I just think Caldwell has the edge. We shall soon find out. Good luck.

The schedules are not even close to similar. 2 common opponents then Graves, Tilghman, McCracken and Russellvile are a much better body of work than Caldwell's. I'm not saying that is even a factor in this matchup but we have faced good passers from Tilghman, Graves and McCracken. The heighth advantage in the receivers from CC should be a concern for Mayfield.

Mayfield did start slow against Murray, also started poorly against Russellville falling behind but not hitting any panic buttons. Murray had 18 points and 2 first down at the half. After an 80 yard TD run, an interception, and a blocked punt, the Cardinals found themselves down 18-0. that Murray Caldwell game even with the lopsided final, for Murray it was a night of missed opportunities. Murray had five trips inside Caldwell 30 that ended empty-handed including key trips in both the second and third quarters that could have put Murray up on top. Murray had over 400 yards of offense, in fact they had only 29 fewer yards than Caldwell. Mayfield held Murray to a 114 yards of total offense. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think the defense we have is like the defense we have had the last couple of years that just shut offenses down and Singular (SP I know) is going to make some plays to that outstanding reciever corp but we still have a defense that is way above average and they will get their stops and with our offense i HOPE that is all we need.

Mayfield's schedule is actually alot tougher. The Caldwell game Friday will make the 6th Cardinal opponet this season that will have a Lit House ranking of over 100 and for Caldwell it will be the second opponet over 100. For Caldwell they faced Christian Co #88.9, Union County #87.1, Ohio County #65, Trigg County #81.1, Ft. Campbell #93.1, Ballard Memorial #78.1, Green County #76.3, Murray #102.6, Crittenden County #52.7 and next us Mayfield at #116. Mayfield has faced Ft. Campbell #93.1, McCracken County #122, Paducah Tilghman #111.1, Murray #102.6, Graves County #102.7, Marshall County #72, Fulton City #41.9, Fulton County #53.4, Russellville #100.8 and will next face Caldwell #113.2.

Another factor in is the Mayfield coaching staff who gets the nod here by a wide margin, one of the best anywhere

Finally, Caldwell has had trouble with Mayfield forever, it's like they don't think they can beat Mayfield because they don't very often, just like most of the other teams that have played Mayfield through the years. I think last year that Caldwell was a better team than what they played like at Mayfield, a lot better, as evidenced by the way the Tigers went on to play in the playoff's but that Mayfield mystique takes over and most of the time the Tigers fall apart, espically if the Cards jump out to a early lead. Will that happen again or will Mayfield bring out a super human effort in Caldwell

What's the chance that Caldwell will play a better schedule next season, maybe adding PT and McCracken?

I would expect Caldwell's schedule next season will be about the same as this season.

I don't see Caldwell playing Tilghman or McCracken anytime soon, unless Tilghman and Caldwell end up in the same district with the next realignment.