UK looking at Owens from Boyd County

Tiny

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that he is better than what Tubby has coming off of the bench right now. Granted Tubby isn't a very good recruiter, but maybe he is seeing some error in ways of late by not recruiting instate talent(Lofton). Good luck Antonio and I wish only the best for you. It also wouldn't suprise me if they would want him to redshirt for a year in order to develop his game further for SEC play. He has the skills, they just need the experience and the refining.

Better than Ramel Bradley and Ravi Moss? Owens is a good player, but not better than what Tubby has coming off the bench. I know you're a true Boyd fan......but you can at least come back to reality for a few minutes. :thumb:

I think he could start right away at a school like pikeville, cumberland, Linsey Wilson or Georgetown ect. I think he would have a shot at contributing to a D-1 school like morehead or eastern in a year or two but saying he is an SEC callibor player is a huge exageration. The last thing the UK program needs is a Brandon stockton or Presten Lamaster with a bad attitude.

My gut feelings tell me this thread was started because the person heard the Owens got complimentary tickets to a UK game. "Token tickets" are often given to in-state players just to keep any pipelines open to potential recruits for the near-future and down the road it that players school or area. I follow state basketball closely and watch the recruiting trails. I can tell you about 20 to 25 in-state kids who have been invited to UK games just as Boyd was. But being invited to a game does not make a kid a "bona-fide recruit." It is though in its own a regard an accomplishment to even be considered for tickets to a game.

Oops, forgot about Bradley and Moss, but if you will remember, Moss was a walk on at UK and has made himself a very good player. So who is to say the same thing won't happen for Owens. He obviously has talent or he wouldn't have gotten a letter from Tubby or he wouldn't be averaging 30 per game in his 1st season playing varsity ball.

Nothing against Owens, because he is by far the best talent in the 16th Region. But, If Owens goes to Kentucky, it will definitely be another recruiting mistake by Tubby! Tubby is a good to great coach, but not a very good recruiter. That has been his major issue at KY for years.

Owens is not (IMO) talented enough to guide a SEC caliber team into national contention. He would be just another Stockton on the roster of nobodies.

Stockton couldn't carry Owens' strap on the court.

I really hope something good happens for Owens and he ends up being a big time college basketball player. But please tell me that Tubby Smith isn't dumb enough to waste another scholarship on a middle of the road guard. Unless Owens grows to about 6'7" by next year he is not the answer to UK's problems.

UK already has 3 guards signed for next year. I would be shocked if they took another guard.
Exactly and nothing against Owens, or any other player but keep this in mind....college coaches "watch and observe" hundreds of players across the land, but that doesn't mean they are recruiting them.

It simply means, a name has came up on their potential recruit board and they want to evaluate....which every team should do.

Don't knock Owens, he's a very good player and don't knock UK, for "observing" him or any other "potential college recruit".