Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Straight people asked a question that gays have been asked for years.

Featured Replies

Wine, you disagree?

 

No, just that there are so many people who claim to follow the Bible as "the inerrant Word of God" who go the grape juice route that I had to know. That's generally the starting point, but there are lots of other ones.

  • Replies 213
  • Views 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wine or grape juice? Simple question.

 

Wine, especially if it is before the offering.

No, just that there are so many people who claim to follow the Bible as "the inerrant Word of God" who go the grape juice route that I had to know. That's generally the starting point, but there are lots of other ones.
Well, they're ignorant. (wow, that was borderline judgemental) It's in black and white, and I'll assume you refer to Christ's first miracle, they even refer to drunkenness. Not sure what that's about. Didn't hear that one from me I can assure you.

 

Jim, you know I have a deep respect for you, so I'll say this and know you will get where I'm coming from. I hear stuff all the time from Christians who frankly don't know the word worth a hoot. They quote things that aren't even in there. They form opinions based off of other bad opinions from folks who also don't know what the poo they believe because they haven't read the book.

OK, that being said, is it really that hard to understand why so many of us don't take "the Bible says so" seriously? I mean, really? This whole state is full of stupid blue laws that are so outrageously illogical that it's not even amusing anymore. Are you ready to hit the stump with me for a barnstorming tour across Kentucky and tell all these people's preachers why they're wrong?

 

Now that would be a sight to behold...Jim & Randy campaigning against blue laws. :lol2:

 

I'm not going to pretend that there aren't Christians who misrepresent the Bible. That's obvious. But I think it's unfair to blame the Bible for that.

 

There are doctors who misrepresent their Hippocratic Oath, but I don't swear off all of medicine because of it. There are law enforcement personnel who misrepresent their pledge to serve & protect, but I don't swear off all of law enforcement because of that.

 

Fair argument?

The wine vs. grape juice argument. People get fired up on that one. :lol2:

Well, they're ignorant. (wow, that was borderline judgemental) It's in black and white, and I'll assume you refer to Christ's first miracle, they even refer to drunkenness. Not sure what that's about. Didn't hear that one from me I can assure you.

 

Jim, you know I have a deep respect for you, so I'll say this and know you will get where I'm coming from. I hear stuff all the time from Christians who frankly don't know the word worth a hoot. They quote things that aren't even in there. They form opinions based off of other bad opinions from folks who also don't know what the poo they believe because they haven't read the book.

 

Now that would be a sight to behold...Jim & Randy campaigning against blue laws. :lol2:

 

I'm not going to pretend that there aren't Christians who misrepresent the Bible. That's obvious. But I think it's unfair to blame the Bible for that.

 

There are doctors who misrepresent their Hippocratic Oath, but I don't swear off all of medicine because of it. There are law enforcement personnel who misrepresent their pledge to serve & protect, but I don't swear off all of law enforcement because of that.

 

Fair argument?

 

Since both posts are addressing the same thing, I will say simply that too many Christians opt for silence in the face of the stupidity that comes out of the mouths of their fellow travelers, rather than correcting wrongs spoken in their name. There may be doctors and police officers who engage in similar behavior, but it certainly doesn't seem like the majority the way it does with Christians. Plus, there are legal mechanisms in place to protect us from doctors and police officer who stray. Christians who stray just end up getting elected and shoving their brand of Christianity down the rest of our collective throats.

 

And, for the record, I'm speaking chiefly about the evangelical Protestant types, as they are the ones who are the most vocal, and who engage in this behavior the most willingly, and tend to use their Bibles as a blunt object the most.

Uh oh...I would be considered one of those "evangelical Protestant types." :lol2:

 

And the reason people sometimes use their Bibles as a blunt object is because Scripture refers to itself as a sword.

 

All kidding aside...I don't know the ratio of Christians who misrepresent the Bible. I'm just saying that isn't the Bible's fault. At the same time, just because a Christian speaks out in the political forum doesn't mean that they are automatically misrepresenting the Bible.

mustang - do you believe in any God ? not a loaded question , I dont have a follow up , just curious .

 

I'm Catholic, so yes, I believe in God.

I don't like long responses so I am going to quickly respond.

Christians believe that the OT is was fulfilled because Jesus fulfilled that Law and created a new which began at the Resurrection but explained thoroughly when he gave the "Sermon on the Mount" in the beginning of Matthew. He would say "You have heard it was said 'Do Not Murder' but I tell you....." This pattern is followed when he speak of adultery, divorce, oaths, tithing and so on. In Acts when Peter was being racist against some gentiles Jesus through a vision told him that now he should no longer call anything unclean that God has made clean. Jesus also said that circumcision is not longer a requirement.

The reason the OT laws were so strict was because God needed the Jews to be different from the rest of the world. So the rules had to be perfect and the punishment harsh.

The Bible does not contradict itself at all. The reason people claim that is does is because some verses appear to be contradictory. but if you study language, context, and circumstances you can see that it fits like a perfect puzzle. It is difficult to study and interpret the Bible because it takes a skill that must be learned. You cannot teach yourself. That is why it is important for the church to do a better job teaching these skills.

I have written more than I intended to.

To answer your question Spin, yes I've read the entire Bible, not straight cover to cover, but I've made my way through the various books at some point or another.

To answer your question Spin, yes I've read the entire Bible, not straight cover to cover, but I've made my way through the various books at some point or another.

 

I've told myself that I would try a couple of times, but got hung up at the "begats".

Try " The Message " translation. Easy to read . very poetic and pretty modern , good stuff .

Now that would be a sight to behold...Jim & Randy campaigning against blue laws. :lol2:

 

I'm not going to pretend that there aren't Christians who misrepresent the Bible. That's obvious. But I think it's unfair to blame the Bible for that.

 

There are doctors who misrepresent their Hippocratic Oath, but I don't swear off all of medicine because of it. There are law enforcement personnel who misrepresent their pledge to serve & protect, but I don't swear off all of law enforcement because of that.

 

Fair argument?

I think a fair response would be what ratio of corrupt cops or unlicensed quacks would turn you off of those professions? If 1 in 5 doctors were as likely to harm you through malice or negligence, would you risk it? What about 2 in 5 and so on?

 

'Cause I gotta say, I think the analogous ratio is higher than 1 in 5.

I think a fair response would be what ratio of corrupt cops or unlicensed quacks would turn you off of those professions?

 

I would have no other options, so I can't see myself turning the whole bunch of them off.

 

But again, it's not about "turning off" Christians as a whole because a number of them misrepresent the Bible. It's about turning the Bible off. There is truth & healing in medicine, regardless of who represents the application of medicine. Just the same, there is truth & consistency in Scripture even though some misrepresent it. False representatives of the Bible do not negate its validity.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.