Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

UCLA Fires Ben Howland

Featured Replies

And can't coach...I watched Memphis this season in person. With the talent on their roster, there's no way that team shouldn't be in the Sweet 16 right now.
Under Pastner Memphis is 100-0 against teams they should easily beat. Problem is they are 6-34 against teams that are decent or not favored to beat :lol2:
  • Replies 63
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author
Under Pastner Memphis is 100-0 against teams they should easily beat. Problem is they are 6-34 against teams that are decent or not favored to beat :lol2:

 

Let's face it...he has 3 McDonald's All-Americans and a JUCO All-American in his starting 5. I watched them at Southern Miss and they were simply just bigger, faster and more talented at almost every position. No excuse for not winning more, IMO.

Let's face it...he has 3 McDonald's All-Americans and a JUCO All-American in his starting 5. I watched them at Southern Miss and they were simply just bigger, faster and more talented at almost every position. No excuse for not winning more, IMO.

 

 

Almost as bad as 3 first round NBA picks losing to Robert Morris. :sssh::lol2::lol2::lol2:

  • Author
Almost as bad as 3 first round NBA picks losing to Robert Morris. :sssh::lol2::lol2::lol2:

 

Calipari had a very bad season too, but he also is approaching 600 career wins and didn't have everything along the way handed to him.

^And Pastner's been coaching all of 4 years and already has over 100 career victories. He wasn't really handed anything either. Cal took all his Memphis recruits with him. :lol:

  • Author
^And Pastner's been coaching all of 4 years and already has over 100 career victories. He wasn't really handed anything either. Cal took all his Memphis recruits with him. :lol:

 

Please...Josh Pastner hasn't ever been handed anything?

Please...Josh Pastner hasn't ever been handed anything?

 

 

 

I really don't know the guy, so tell me. What has he been handed? Did he not work hard to get where he is today?

  • Author
I really don't know the guy, so tell me. What has he been handed? Did he not work hard to get where he is today?

 

His path to a division I head coaching position (and player) has been a little different than most coaches.

 

He has certainly been well-blessed. I have nothing against him but back to my point...I wouldn't hire him if I was making the hire at UCLA.

1. Will UCLA pay a salary that the other elite schools pay? From what I read money could be a problem. That is why I agree with the other thread the Minnesota job may be filled faster.

 

2. Pastner can recruit and recruiting is a big part of winning in college. But I don't know if UCLA can outpay Memphis anyway.

He has certainly been well-blessed. I have nothing against him but back to my point...I wouldn't hire him if I was making the hire at UCLA.

 

Is it possible to argue that the Memphis job is actually better than the UCLA job at this moment in time?

His path to a division I head coaching position (and player) has been a little different than most coaches.

 

He has certainly been well-blessed. I have nothing against him but back to my point...I wouldn't hire him if I was making the hire at UCLA.

 

So a former walk-on at a major division I school and assistant coach for 8+ years was handed the Memphis job?

I'm confused as to why Mick Cronin's name continues to pop up in coaching searches.

2. Pastner can recruit and recruiting is a big part of winning in college. But I don't know if UCLA can outpay Memphis anyway.

 

Memphis was willing to give Cal whatever he wanted in terms of money. What they could not give--and maybe still cannot give--is a national spotlight.

So a former walk-on at a major division I school and assistant coach for 8+ years was handed the Memphis job?

 

Wasn't his father a big-time AAU coach? And his walk-on days at Arizona were almost a coach-in-training from some of the stories I read. And finally, I honestly believe Memphis hired him to replace Calipari in hopes of retaining the class Cal/Pastner had brought in. That didn't work, and while Pastner has shown himself to be a good recruiter and good C-USA coach, he hasn't been able to translate that into NCAA tournament success.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.