Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region

Featured Replies

Schreiver is a junior.

 

Callery (Ohio U), Tibieri (UL), and a kid from St Henry whose name escapes me (Longwood) plus Schreiver are the 4 D1 players I'm aware of in the 9th.

Mitch Kuebbing

  • Replies 173
  • Views 30k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right. I just think he misunderstood me. I never once said they weren't great ballplayers. Shoot I never seen them play before. I hope they all get drafted out of HS.

 

I just get a little bothered with all the "If you don't play for Midland you aint %$" type of talk. We are talking HS Baseball not rec team ball.

 

I think you've misunderstood what's being said also:-). I don't think Raiderbird (or anyone else) said Midland was the end all organization and that if you didn't play for them, you weren't any good. I think the point that was being made, was that these kids HAVE competed against the VERY best not just in this area, but in the entire country. They haven't played "rec" ball in years. And that thus far, they have not only held their own, but have shined. Again, Stringer is ranked in the top 50 at his age in the country. Him and Combs have faced the best pitching in the country. Again, they are on a track to be special. Doesn't mean they'll be all anything this year, and it can all change in a minute. But they will hold their own this year, and likely have a few great moments. And if you haven't seen them play, you really need to.

Longwood is D1?

 

It's still early for the class of 2014, you have have a few more I'm sure in the 9th

I think you've misunderstood what's being said also:-). I don't think Raiderbird (or anyone else) said Midland was the end all organization and that if you didn't play for them, you weren't any good. I think the point that was being made, was that these kids HAVE competed against the VERY best not just in this area, but in the entire country. They haven't played "rec" ball in years. And that thus far, they have not only held their own, but have shined. Again, Stringer is ranked in the top 50 at his age in the country. Him and Combs have faced the best pitching in the country. Again, they are on a track to be special. Doesn't mean they'll be all anything this year, and it can all change in a minute. But they will hold their own this year, and likely have a few great moments. And if you haven't seen them play, you really need to.

I understand that, I really do and I can't wait to see them play for my old school.

 

My original point was simple, coming from someone that hasn't seen any of them play and curious about the hype (which I hope is for real btw) the original point was wwith a team that has that much talent on it, how could they not be listed in the top 10 coaches poll?

 

that was the initial point....not bashing the kids at all, quite the opposite actually. Just wondering how a team with that many of the top players in the area on it isn't in the top 10? I thought it was a reasonable question.

I understand that, I really do and I can't wait to see them play for my old school.

 

My original point was simple, coming from someone that hasn't seen any of them play and curious about the hype (which I hope is for real btw) the original point was wwith a team that has that much talent on it, how could they not be listed in the top 10 coaches poll?

 

that was the initial point....not bashing the kids at all, quite the opposite actually. Just wondering how a team with that many of the top players in the area on it isn't in the top 10? I thought it was a reasonable question.

 

Reasonable question, but one with an easy answer.....they are really young. They could be one of the best teams in the region if these kids hit the ground running. But, they are freshman, and there will be a learning curve no matter how talented they are.

Reasonable question, but one with an easy answer.....they are really young. They could be one of the best teams in the region if these kids hit the ground running. But, they are freshman, and there will be a learning curve no matter how talented they are.
Should be a fun year. This has to be the most competitive 9th region ever. All these teams so close, can't wait for the games to start!

Question, how far do 14/15u pitch from? Would that be 54 or 60?

double post

Question, how far do 14/15u pitch from? Would that be 54 or 60?

 

 

They throw from 60. Does it matter though?? You don't throw any less hard from 60 feet than you do from 54;). It's like the old riddle, what's heavier a pound of feathers or a pound of steel??

They throw from 60. Does it matter though?? You don't throw any less hard from 60 feet than you do from 54;). It's like the old riddle, what's heavier a pound of feathers or a pound of steel??

 

Well........you could look at the math equation and a fastball at 75 from 54 feet gets to the hitter quicker than a 75 mph fastball from 60' 6". Also, IF a kid was pitching from 54 it is a decent adjustment to move back 60 feet 6 inches.

They throw from 60. Does it matter though?? You don't throw any less hard from 60 feet than you do from 54;). It's like the old riddle, what's heavier a pound of feathers or a pound of steel??

It kind of makes a difference though. As a hitter would you rather be facing an 84mph pitch from 54 feet away or at 60 feet?

Saw a kid from Miami couple years ago in cooperstown, looked like he was throwing 125. I felt guilty sending my kids up there to hit against him. That was from what, 48? Definately makes a huge difference.

It kind of makes a difference though. As a hitter would you rather be facing an 84mph pitch from 54 feet away or at 60 feet?

 

It really doesn't make a huge difference to hitters either. Here's a link to a chart that gives you reaction times needed at various speeds from various distances. Average Reaction Time for Different Baseball Pitches by Age Group and Mound Distance. Your talking about a .05 second difference with the extra 6 feet. Really, that's splitting hairs. It doesn't affect the velocity of pitchers either, which was my point. The extra 6 feet isn't enough for the velocity to suddenly drop off. Yes there will be an adjustment in regards to location, especially with off speed and breaking stuff. Really, though, 6 feet isn't a big deal.

Extra time makes all the difference in the world. Why do you think that guys slide all the way to the back of the batters box? They want more time. The more time you have to recognize a pitch the more time you have to determine if you are going to swing or not. Think about the pitch that a hitter fouls straight back when they say he "just missed." Or the line drive opposite field that lands on the foul side of the foul line. That extra .05 seconds (while may seem miniscule) could make a difference in a swing or result. Baseball is a cat and mouse game for timing between the pitcher and the hitter. You always want extra of it, no matter how little it may be.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.