Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

9th Region

Featured Replies

I think we are both on the same page.

 

When I am talking about Summer Ball teams I am talking more of the 16U, 17U and 18U teams. Certainly Midland for the middle schoolers play more competitive schedules than most middle school age teams around here. I was referring more to the High School aged teams.

 

 

I learned right away that it is a totally different animal once a boy hits high school and plays Summer Ball than before he got in high school. As I stated, my boys team the last 2 years have played soley in showcase tourneys etc the entire summer league season and the prupose is to get them ready and spotted by college recruiters and coaches etc. They play strictly in the tournaments that take place at colleges etc. as well as the National Tournaments. Things that were never done with his summer ball teams in grade school. The sole purpose of the teams in high schools are usually to get the kids noticed etc. and is why his team is only a traveling tournament team etc.

 

So I will agree with you that the midland teams for the kids in middle school etc. ahve seen better competition compared to boys of the same age around the area, but it isn't true once these kids get in High School because the majority of the competitive summer ball teams in the area play in those tournaments or ones like them all the time.

 

I made a thread about a month ago in this forum asking others if they knew what tournaments their kids teams will be playing in this summer. Listed the ones we will be going to and if you look at the thread you will see every week is traveling to different tournaments ending with the National 17u tournament. A lot different from what the middle school teams do. High School ball is a totally different animal when you talk about summer teams....Midland is the same the only difference is they start at a younger age doing what the high school boys do now.

 

Here's the link to that thread

http://bluegrasspreps.com/ky-baseball-high/what-tournaments-will-249065.html#.UTipeTf4J8E

 

3 of the tournaments chosen was not so much for the competition but because some of the college coaches that will be attending have already shown interest in some of the players and vice versa, some of the other kids have shown interest in certain colleges and those colleges will have representation at these tournaments such as the Bowling Green tournament, and Evansville Tournament etc.

 

The team is all about getting the kids an opportunity to play at the next level.

 

Good link. Thanks. I will try to find the THawks schedule, I know they are playing primarily 16 and 17U tourneys this summer, with the exception of the big ones @ East Cobb.

  • Replies 173
  • Views 30k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good link. Thanks. I will try to find the THawks schedule, I know they are playing primarily 16 and 17U tourneys this summer, with the exception of the big ones @ East Cobb.

 

Awesome, hope they are playing in a couple of the same, I'll let you bring the beer cooler

I scouted Stringer and Combs last year and they are both for real. There's no crystal ball to predict the future but barring any injuries they will both either play D1 or be drafted out of H.S. and go pro. These guys are two of the best 15 year olds that I've seen over the years and I have a few years under my belt.

 

So when you say scout-please clarify. Scout as in the sense of scouting them for another like program to see if they have any holes in their game that you could exploit, or scout as in the sense of a college or professional team scouting for future players. Which one is it? Big difference to me.

Awesome, hope they are playing in a couple of the same, I'll let you bring the beer cooler

 

I like beer. :banana:

I'm looking forward to seeing these fine prospects. I love watching baseball and it's always nice to have big time talent to watch. Good luck to these players.

Ok what about some of the other 9th region teams..............Anything about Newport, Bellevue, Dayton, Ludlow, Villa, Boone, etc

I hope you understand that just because a team is in the SWOL doesn't really mean that is the teams they play all season. For instance, my boys Summer Ball team is in the SWOL for name purposes only. They could care less how they do in the very few games they play in that league because what they are is a showcase travel team and that is what they do each and every week. They travel to showcase tournaments and finish the season playing in the national tournament. That is the sole reason they formed the team in the first place. Their sole reason of existence is to get the kids ready for the next level and to be seen by college coaches and recruiters which is why they play in the first place.

 

For someone to say the kids on Midland have seen better competition than 99% of the kids in the area is a joke. They haven't. There are plenty of teams that do the exact same thing Midland does in the summer, maybe it's the elitist attitude that some have when it comes to Midland drives me a little nuts at times due to 1 simple fact, they don't know what they are talking about.

 

 

So you are telling me that your kids team has played in the Elite 32 because you can't unless you win a Super NIT? Has your son been to Perfect Game when he was 14 or 15? Did your sons team win a AABC Qualifier to be able to go to Puerto Rico to play? Is your son ranked in the Top 200 in the country for his age group? These kids have played and won games at the highest level of baseball for their age. All I am saying is by the time these kids are seniors they most probably will have the opportunity to play D1 or possibly get drafted. I am not saying as frosh they will be the best in the region. I am saying they can play and do well against varsity kids and teams in Nky.

So you are telling me that your kids team has played in the Elite 32 because you can't unless you win a Super NIT? Has your son been to Perfect Game when he was 14 or 15? Did your sons team win a AABC Qualifier to be able to go to Puerto Rico to play? Is your son ranked in the Top 200 in the country for his age group? These kids have played and won games at the highest level of baseball for their age. All I am saying is by the time these kids are seniors they most probably will have the opportunity to play D1 or possibly get drafted. I am not saying as frosh they will be the best in the region. I am saying they can play and do well against varsity kids and teams in Nky.

I really have no idea where you are going with this but it sure sounds like to me either 1 of 2 things have happened.

1. you didn't comprehend my post when I said Summer Baseball is different for mostt kids once they hit High School than before High School ((unless you played for midland whhich has been a traveling tourney team) because the teams are more tournament type and not league play.

 

or

 

2. Your bias and blinders toward Midland is so strong that you really think most of us on here gives a crap about what Midland 14 year olds did because frankly the more pompous you make that team sound the more I could really care less what a team made up of 7th and 8th graders did.

 

 

Now please show me where I ever said the kids you are talking about will never make it to D1....I never once said it, I've never seen them play and is why I never commented on how good or in this case how great they are. What I did say was if BW (MY VERY OWN HS BTW) has so many talented players that are headed to D1 or straight to the majors out of HS then why aren't they the #1 ranked team in the region? Because I can't think of any other team in the region with 5 garunteed D1 players and a possible high draft pick also on ttheir roster.

Hellbird don't get so worked up....some people think they know D1 talent when kids are 2 years old. I have been around a while and sometimes it is just best to sit back and smile when people make foolish remarks. I know it is hard on a board like BGP, but the proof is always in the pudding and the pudding for this year says 2 d-1 Seniors-Tiberi at Holy Cross and Schreiver at CovCath. Many other very, very good seniors, but that is what we have so far in Northern Kentucky. Good luck to Cooper, Beechwood, NCC, Highlands, CovCath, Holy Cross, Boone County,SK, Ryle, Lloyd, Brossart, Scott, Campbell County, Conner, Bellevue, Newport, St. Henry and the other 80 teams that are going to win state in 2013.

Hellbird don't get so worked up....some people think they know D1 talent when kids are 2 years old. I have been around a while and sometimes it is just best to sit back and smile when people make foolish remarks. I know it is hard on a board like BGP, but the proof is always in the pudding and the pudding for this year says 2 d-1 Seniors-Tiberi at Holy Cross and Schreiver at CovCath. Many other very, very good seniors, but that is what we have so far in Northern Kentucky. Good luck to Cooper, Beechwood, NCC, Highlands, CovCath, Holy Cross, Boone County,SK, Ryle, Lloyd, Brossart, Scott, Campbell County, Conner, Bellevue, Newport, St. Henry and the other 80 teams that are going to win state in 2013.

You're right. I just think he misunderstood me. I never once said they weren't great ballplayers. Shoot I never seen them play before. I hope they all get drafted out of HS.

 

I just get a little bothered with all the "If you don't play for Midland you aint %$" type of talk. We are talking HS Baseball not rec team ball.

You're right. I just think he misunderstood me. I never once said they weren't great ballplayers. Shoot I never seen them play before. I hope they all get drafted out of HS.

 

I just get a little bothered with all the "If you don't play for Midland you aint %$" type of talk. We are talking HS Baseball not rec team ball.

 

I know he did and he means well. The Midland stuff gets old and we all agree it is a great program. It should be. They recruit the best of the best and have money and travel, etc, etc. Big difference between 16 guys from Alexandria playing together for their school team and 16 guys recruited from Detroit to Louisville to play for Midland. As one noted BGP er says Apples and Anchovies discussion. Looking forward to the HIGH SCHOOL GAMES beginning!

Hellbird don't get so worked up....some people think they know D1 talent when kids are 2 years old. I have been around a while and sometimes it is just best to sit back and smile when people make foolish remarks. I know it is hard on a board like BGP, but the proof is always in the pudding and the pudding for this year says 2 d-1 Seniors-Tiberi at Holy Cross and Schreiver at CovCath. .

 

Schreiver is a junior.

 

Callery (Ohio U), Tibieri (UL), and a kid from St Henry whose name escapes me (Longwood) plus Schreiver are the 4 D1 players I'm aware of in the 9th.

Schreiver is a junior.

 

Callery (Ohio U), Tibieri (UL), and a kid from St Henry whose name escapes me (Longwood) plus Schreiver are the 4 D1 players I'm aware of in the 9th.

 

Longwood is D1?

Longwood is D1?

 

Big South conference.

Schreiver is a junior.

 

Callery (Ohio U), Tibieri (UL), and a kid from St Henry whose name escapes me (Longwood) plus Schreiver are the 4 D1 players I'm aware of in the 9th.

 

Longwood is D1.. I just Googled it..

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.