11/27 DuPont Manual @ Waggener Preview

This is one of three games tonight featuring two of the top 10 teams in the Seventh Region (St. Xavier at Central, Atherton at Eastern). It's a game where hopefully we'll learn a little more about two teams fighting for what exactly their place is within the Seventh Region.

Manual is coming off a season in which they won the 25th District title, but they will receive a strong challenge to that title defense from a talented Central team. Waggener is in a congested pack of teams all chasing down Trinity in the 27th District (Atherton and Seneca). Exactly where these teams fit into their respective districts this year remains to be seen.

Waggener's team is very young but led by returning leading scorer and senior point guard Joe Head and junior wing Semaj Ingram. Apart from that, the Wildcats boast a hugely talented freshman class. If they can learn quickly, Waggener could conceivably be the second-best team in the 27th.

I know precious little about these two teams but I'll be in attendance at this game tonight in St. Matthews and I'm looking forward to seeing what each has to offer this season.

For those who don't know or might be interested, my twitter handle is @johnnygetslow. I'll be tweeting this game tonight and several games in the Lousiville area this season.

If I can, I'll do some updates on this game in this thread.

40-39 Manual at the half.

It's been a really fun back and forth game but too many fouls called. Pretty sure I counted 27.

Waggener is seriously undersized but they fight for everything. Their guards are 5-8 and 5-9 but they've got skills. Really fun to watch.

Worst result in basketball: game decided at the line.

Foul call with 0.8 seconds left allows Manual to win it with a free throw, 75-74.

Yeah, but Getslow, if it is a foul, it is a foul, isn't it?

BTW, thank you for all your work you've put in on the high school basketball.

Yeah, but Getslow, if it is a foul, it is a foul, isn't it?

I can't argue with that and, in fact, there were SO MANY fouls called in this game that it almost felt appropriate. And the foul was definitely legitimate.

I still hate it. Winning with free throws feels like winning a soccer game on a late penalty kick: it doesn't happen in the run of play and even though its part of the game, I just don't like it.