Should Highlands drop football?

I realize the original intent of this thread was humor, but I must say that the thread's title quickly caught my attention. Sure, it's true that the residents of Fort Thomas actively follow and support the Highlands football program. However, the parents who reside in Fort Thomas very much desire for their children to be successful academically and gain admission into good colleges so that they can be set up nicely in the future. As more research is done looking into the effects and consequences (especially long term) from the brain trauma caused by football (and football at every level, including high school), I do wonder what parents in Fort Thomas will think about their sons signing up for the sport. Some pretty high-profile former NFL players, includng Kurt Warner, have said they would discourage their sons from playing football for this reason, and it's only a matter of time until this sentiment filters down to the grass roots level. Of course, this issue will likely impact many communities and high schools, but knowing the Fort Thomas community like I do, I think there could definitely be a dramatic shift it the parents' perception of the risks/benefits of playing football for Highlands in the future. Something to wonder about...

And with that being said.. Go 'Birds! Beat Mason County tonight!

Question for those "in the know" at HHS. If Johnny and Billy are equally talented at football and Johnny plays spring football while Billy plays baseball, who will get more playing time? All things being equal, will those that show dedication to football get first dibs on starting?

Interpretation: Although coaches may voice any child can play multiple sports' date=' the atmosphere dictates otherwise....:p[/quote']

But is that the result of the culture and success or is it the coach's fault. If their is a successful program that each kid has seen what it takes to stay at the top since birth and if that's what that kid wants, isn't it the choice of the kid? Anytime and in any sport that you have kids that play a sport year round vs. a kid that wants to play multiple sports, the kid has to make a decision. Do I play my one sport so I don't get behind in it or do I sacrifice a little in both sports because I'm not ready to commit to just one. It's that way in AAU bball, select baseball and softball, volleyball, soccer, etc. Other than local leagues, the sport of football doesn't set itself up to have travel teams like you do in the other sports or it would happen in football too. HHS has gotten to the point that you are in the same situation that I described above for their football program.

Every varsity coach would want you to focus on their sport year round. It's the kid's choice whether to do that or not. Or the parents influence. I can see a kid wanting to focus on one sport that he wants to be a part of, but I could also see dad's telling their kids "you need to make a decision and if it's not football, you're going to fall behind" because they want the share the success of the kid. It's sad, but I bet it happens.

Question for those "in the know" at HHS. If Johnny and Billy are equally talented at football and Johnny plays spring football while Billy plays baseball, who will get more playing time? All things being equal, will those that show dedication to football get first dibs on starting?

My feeling is that the best would play and each would have the opportunity to win a spot. However, they do work very hard in the off season. So there would be potential that player B loses ground to player A by not being in the workouts. But that's the chance Players B takes. That's what I'm saying, more and more player B is choosing not to play the other sport because of the prestige that goes along with playing football. They want their spotlight. For some of the elite athletes, it makes no difference because of their natural abilities.