Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should McCreary Central Drop Football ?

Featured Replies

I saw another thread about Greenup County asking this same question. As things stand now maybe we should drop Football and boys basketball at least till we can get some better interest or something. The admin and powers that be are gonna have to start looking at this hard or do some kind of turnaround to get things going. Our football team looks doomed to win maybe 2/3 games at most and with dismal numbers things don't look to get any better. Basketball will look almost the same with the loss of Tyson to Somerset. I think this is a legitimate question that needs to be asked.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some teams don't win 1 game, didn't you all win one this year?

 

Can't give up, kids need to play football.

Hell has frozen over. I agree with ref.

 

As long as there are enough numbers to field a team that is reasonably competitive in some of its games I see no reason to drop the sport; whether it be football or basketball. There are great life lessons to be gained in team sports.

 

I suppose one option is to go the way that Pendleton County plans to go next season. Evidently they are in a similar football situation. They have evidently decided that they will not be competitive in district play; so they will forego a district (and by extension) schedule. But they will still play football.

Hell has frozen over. I agree with ref.

 

As long as there are enough numbers to field a team that is reasonably competitive in some of its games I see no reason to drop the sport; whether it be football or basketball. There are great life lessons to be gained in team sports.

 

I suppose one option is to go the way that Pendleton County plans to go next season. Evidently they are in a similar football situation. They have evidently decided that they will not be competitive in district play; so they will forego a district (and by extension) schedule. But they will still play football.

 

I agree with you McCreary should not drop Football, Great lessons to be learned from the game. McCreary has tryed to play out of the District before. That has pros and cons as does most decisions. I think we need a Change from the top down, Just my openion. McCreary has had the numbers out before and has had some nice seasons where the kids were successful. Do not even consider dropping Football. Get an Administration that will support it and move on.

I suppose one option is to go the way that Pendleton County plans to go next season. Evidently they are in a similar football situation. They have evidently decided that they will not be competitive in district play; so they will forego a district (and by extension) schedule. But they will still play football.

 

That used to be a fairly common route for schools to take. I remember times during the late 90s that there were 10 or 15 "independent" teams. I think it is a good way to develop a schedule that suits your school better. And while you aren't eligibile to compete in the playoffs, you can win some games and potentially drive interest up.

Hell has frozen over. I agree with ref.

 

As long as there are enough numbers to field a team that is reasonably competitive in some of its games I see no reason to drop the sport; whether it be football or basketball. There are great life lessons to be gained in team sports.

 

I suppose one option is to go the way that Pendleton County plans to go next season. Evidently they are in a similar football situation. They have evidently decided that they will not be competitive in district play; so they will forego a district (and by extension) schedule. But they will still play football.

 

 

This (PC) isnt a bad strategy. I remember several years ago there was talk of maybe Scott needing to drop football, and now they are on the upswing. Same with Bracken County, Dayton, I've heard it all. Down times dont mean you need to disband.

Do not drop Football.

If you drop football and boys basketball, wouldn't you have to drop everything else? Those sports are usually the only revenue generators for athletics programs.

 

I would also think Title IX would dictate that you also have to drop girls bball and volleyball, regardless of the money.

Title IX does not care if girls have more sports than boys. It is only about girls opportunities.

Applicable Info on Title IX:

 

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance..."

 

This, along with the OCR's three pronged "test" for discrimination could also be applied to boys.

I've been watching McCrreary Central for years now because their situation mirrored Knox Central so closely. Knox Central had never had much success in football, rarely making the playoffs, never having won more than 7 games in a season, and usually finishing somewhere between 2 to 4 wins. In 2003 KC finished 0-10, scored 44 points all season while giving up more 440. After the season ending 55-6 loss to Rockcastle, I recall seeing the mother of one of the senior players confront one of the board members as they were walking out. With tears in her eyes she told him "Don't you ever let a group of kids go through something like this again." He looked stunned for a few seconds but then he told her simply "I won't".

 

We already had a good booster club in place and with pressure on the rest of the board, a committee was formed to find the best coach they could. It was agreed not to wait for applicants, but to actively persue high profile head coaches. We got a lot of interest from top coaches, most of which would rather I not name them. The closest we came, (I know he won't mind me saying his name) was Tom Larkey who at that time was at Rockcastle. He actually agreed to come but backed out at the last minute for reasons I understand. The committee finally decided on Wayne Mills and the rest is history.

 

My point is this. If enough people demand it, any administration will cave in. As I used to say, there is no genetic superiority in the kids from surrounding counties. It just comes down to development and McCreary, Greenup, Knott or any other can field a competive team.

By the way, aside from Knox Central I recall another school that was being blasted some on BGP in 2003. Johnson Central was in the process of going 1-9.

I've been watching McCrreary Central for years now because their situation mirrored Knox Central so closely. Knox Central had never had much success in football, rarely making the playoffs, never having won more than 7 games in a season, and usually finishing somewhere between 2 to 4 wins. In 2003 KC finished 0-10, scored 44 points all season while giving up more 440. After the season ending 55-6 loss to Rockcastle, I recall seeing the mother of one of the senior players confront one of the board members as they were walking out. With tears in her eyes she told him "Don't you ever let a group of kids go through something like this again." He looked stunned for a few seconds but then he told her simply "I won't".

 

We already had a good booster club in place and with pressure on the rest of the board, a committee was formed to find the best coach they could. It was agreed not to wait for applicants, but to actively persue high profile head coaches. We got a lot of interest from top coaches, most of which would rather I not name them. The closest we came, (I know he won't mind me saying his name) was Tom Larkey who at that time was at Rockcastle. He actually agreed to come but backed out at the last minute for reasons I understand. The committee finally decided on Wayne Mills and the rest is history.

 

My point is this. If enough people demand it, any administration will cave in. As I used to say, there is no genetic superiority in the kids from surrounding counties. It just comes down to development and McCreary, Greenup, Knott or any other can field a competive team.

By the way, aside from Knox Central I recall another school that was being blasted some on BGP in 2003. Johnson Central was in the process of going 1-9.

 

I agree the parents need to step up and say this has gone too far. If the Administration don't want to do anything about it. Then start at the Top and replace people until you get those in power that will do something to help Football. The 1st Dist. win McCreary Central ever has was aganist Knox. We are still in same position and Knox has moved On. My hat's off to Knox Co. and their parents.

I've been watching McCrreary Central for years now because their situation mirrored Knox Central so closely. Knox Central had never had much success in football, rarely making the playoffs, never having won more than 7 games in a season, and usually finishing somewhere between 2 to 4 wins. In 2003 KC finished 0-10, scored 44 points all season while giving up more 440. After the season ending 55-6 loss to Rockcastle, I recall seeing the mother of one of the senior players confront one of the board members as they were walking out. With tears in her eyes she told him "Don't you ever let a group of kids go through something like this again." He looked stunned for a few seconds but then he told her simply "I won't".

 

We already had a good booster club in place and with pressure on the rest of the board, a committee was formed to find the best coach they could. It was agreed not to wait for applicants, but to actively persue high profile head coaches. We got a lot of interest from top coaches, most of which would rather I not name them. The closest we came, (I know he won't mind me saying his name) was Tom Larkey who at that time was at Rockcastle. He actually agreed to come but backed out at the last minute for reasons I understand. The committee finally decided on Wayne Mills and the rest is history.

 

My point is this. If enough people demand it, any administration will cave in. As I used to say, there is no genetic superiority in the kids from surrounding counties. It just comes down to development and McCreary, Greenup, Knott or any other can field a competive team.

By the way, aside from Knox Central I recall another school that was being blasted some on BGP in 2003. Johnson Central was in the process of going 1-9.

The word I like best in there is preparation. You have to build more than just 1 team or hope you win the genetic lottery with a few studs in 1 class. You have to build a program that prepares kids to succeed. A kid who comes up in a program learns to block and tackle, learns some mental toughness, picks up some football IQ, realizes it takes work to succeed, and has confidence that good habits in these areas will lead to wins. The parents and admin need to demand it and realize it is a multi-year building process that takes some time, money and commitment from more than the head coach and players.

The word I like best in there is preparation. You have to build more than just 1 team or hope you win the genetic lottery with a few studs in 1 class. You have to build a program that prepares kids to succeed. A kid who comes up in a program learns to block and tackle, learns some mental toughness, picks up some football IQ, realizes it takes work to succeed, and has confidence that good habits in these areas will lead to wins. The parents and admin need to demand it and realize it is a multi-year building process that takes some time, money and commitment from more than the head coach and players.

 

Very well said. "Prepreation"

NO WAY. McCreary Central needs new administration and that's what needs changed. McCreary Central just a few years ago was a very solid team. Yes I know that McCreary Central does not have kids like the Watts kid very often and a few others that were on that team, but that is no reason to get rid of a program. One of my best friends teaches at MC and has told me that its the adminstration that really does not support sports in general at MC. Another thing that has hurt this program is the power struggle of a couple of coaches in the school who try and dominate the entire school and do not support other programs. This could be handled very easily if the "powers that be" simply allocated coaches to worrying about their own team. Kids need sports in general. In some cases its the only reason some kids show up to school and even try. Like many of you have said earlier sports and certainly football help teach kids life lessons and teamwork, and Lord knows we need more of that. If McCreary drops football it would be a huge mistake.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.