August 13, 201214 yr Interesting insight. Would you say Cal isn't doing anything that other top coaches aren't, but he's disliked because of how well he works the system? I'm one of Cal's biggest supporters on BGP, but I don't think we can say he works that system that well if he's has half of his Final Fours stripped.
August 13, 201214 yr No problems with the poll from me. Cal is our coach, and I love what he has done at UK, but he's had 2 final 4's stripped and thats hard to argue against. I agree with the majority on here that all coaches cheat. Cal just happened to get caught a couple times.
August 13, 201214 yr K and Self had Piggie/Arthur which are baffling as to why the NCAA didn't do anything. I believe Kansas had sanctions under Roy (but he wasn't implicated directly, just like Cal). Drew and Lavin I don't care about, because "believed to be" doesn't do anything for me. Calhoun is the one that drives me nuts. He was 4th on the list with 7% and he was actually caught cheating and on top of it, UConn is banned from the tournament because they can't meet the APR. Cal and Drew got 36% and 34%. That's a HUGE gap to anyone else. And as for your list of Cal "issues".... Camby/Rose - sure, those are the obvious ones everybody points to. Again, Cal was never sanctioned by the NCAA. Bledsoe - maybe shady, but happened before he arrived at UK (and while other coaches were recruiting him) Kanter - are you kidding? What was shady here? He was paid because he grew up in the Euro system. There's no AAU in Turkey. UK took a chance and the NCAA didn't buy it. Let's not forget Kanter was committed to UW while Emmert was the president. Fast forward to Emmert being at the NCAA and he says "everyone knew" Kanter would never be eligible. If you're trying to classify this as Cal doing something shady, you're an idiot, or just a Cal hater throwing crap against a wall. Anthony Davis - Speaking of more crap thrown against a wall... did anything come of this accusation? No? Exactly. Noel - He was just ruled eligible because he just finished his summer school classes. Again... if you think this is proof of Cal cheating, you're biased, stupid, or both. In your case, I know you're not stupid, so if you REALLY think Noel points to Cal being a cheater, I'll just stop reading your posts. (sigh).....I really don't care if you read my posts or not. It's a free world. Do as you wish. No sweat off my back my little big blue homey. Now, FOR THE RECORD, I don't think ANY of those things I mentioned proves, says, points to or makes Cal a cheater. All I am doing is pointing out 'incidents' that happened under Cal's watch and said these 'incidents' are why Cal has the perception that he does cheat. I'll say it again, none of these incidents make Cal a cheater. These incidents do create a perception that he does. That's all I am saying. And yes, I'll it cut up and crack jokes about him being cheater. I don't think he is any worse than anyone else but I understand why his perception is the way it is.
August 13, 201214 yr (sigh).....I really don't care if you read my posts or not. It's a free world. Do as you wish. No sweat off my back my little big blue homey. Now, FOR THE RECORD, I don't think ANY of those things I mentioned proves, says, points to or makes Cal a cheater. All I am doing is pointing out 'incidents' that happened under Cal's watch and said these 'incidents' are why Cal has the perception that he does cheat. I'll say it again, none of these incidents make Cal a cheater. These incidents do create a perception that he does. That's all I am saying. And yes, I'll it cut up and crack jokes about him being cheater. I don't think he is any worse than anyone else but I understand why his perception is the way it is. 100% agree with the bolded. It's all about perception. After reading through this thread, it's easy to see that many believe all coaches cheat. Maybe the poll should have been who the worst at hiding it was.
August 13, 201214 yr I get why Cal is at the top of the list. I do agree with Mobaar that to see a conviceted cheat at number 4 is a head scratcher. Here's the thing, I like Calhoun, I like that fact that he has battled medical issues and beat them, I like the fact that he has built a national power at a place that most would have thought impossible, but you can look at the guy and see he is a slim ball. Add in the fact that his program is on probation for breaking rules and ineligible for the tournament due to APR issues and ....... As for Cal, as a UK fan you have to realize this is what you get. We see all the good things he does, such as going to Indy to visit the child with cancer, etc. But there is a reason he is preceived the way he is preceived, he has at best bent the rules and at worst broken a few. Now I would argue that most of that was in the past and now that he has it rolling at UK he no longer needs to go as deep in the grey areas but still that's his rep. It's just like the girl who was loose in high school, no matter what she does her classmates remember her as a ****.
August 13, 201214 yr Coaches who voted in survey about 'perceived' cheating should be ashamed - NCAA Basketball - Sporting News
August 13, 201214 yr I'm still fascinated with Drew always being mentioned. Why do we think he gets mentioned?Why the hell else would anyone want to go to Waco, TX?
August 13, 201214 yr Why the hell else would anyone want to go to Waco, TX? Unless your a Branch Davidian I can think of no reason.
August 14, 201214 yr What's all this nonsense about a fake major at UNC? Shouldn't Roy Williams be held accountable in some way? I say this without knowing very little details.
August 14, 201214 yr What's all this nonsense about a fake major at UNC? Shouldn't Roy Williams be held accountable in some way? I say this without knowing very little details. Apparently UNC's Afro-American Stuides department had some very shady courses that never actually met, and they were overflowing with athletes. The NCAA and UNC keep swearing that its not an NCAA issue, but a University issue. The excuse is that no one from the athletic department specifically told the professor to make his class easy for athletes, and that the class was open to all students. North Carolina Tar Heels' academic scandal exemplifies NCAA hypocrisy - ESPN
August 14, 201214 yr Apparently UNC's Afro-American Stuides department had some very shady courses that never actually met, and they were overflowing with athletes. The NCAA and UNC keep swearing that its not an NCAA issue, but a University issue. The excuse is that no one from the athletic department specifically told the professor to make his class easy for athletes, and that the class was open to all students. North Carolina Tar Heels' academic scandal exemplifies NCAA hypocrisy - ESPN So basically Roy Williams comes out squeeky clean? Heaven forbid that was Cal's program.
August 14, 201214 yr So basically Roy Williams comes out squeeky clean? Heaven forbid that was Cal's program. This situation hasn't implicated any basketball athletes. This has been a football issue so far. Nobody wants Roy to be caught more than I do. Believe that.
August 14, 201214 yr This situation hasn't implicated any basketball athletes. This has been a football issue so far. Nobody wants Roy to be caught more than I do. Believe that. Peppers played basketball.
August 14, 201214 yr This situation hasn't implicated any basketball athletes. This has been a football issue so far. Nobody wants Roy to be caught more than I do. Believe that. Oh I thought it did. My buddy who was telling me about it yesterday said that it involved multiple football and basketball players. Including basketball players on the Championship. He's not the most reliable source though haha!
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.