Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Little League Baseball - Wow!

Featured Replies

  • Author

I would like to get back to the incident. Those of you with experience as umps what was the right course of actions for everything that happened?

  • Replies 91
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would like to get back to the incident. Those of you with experience as umps what was the right course of actions for everything that happened?

 

I do not ump, but I do coach and to me the parent yelling at the coach should have been addressed after the game as adults and not during the game. Was this parent drinking by chance? See no need for alcohol at a little league game no matter if it is allowed or not. As for the player and coach dealings with the umpire, it is hard to say what should have been done without being there. I will say that there are some umpires/referees with which you can discuss things with and there are others that are quick to threaten and/or throw you out. You can presume from this which ones are in it for the love of the game and those that are in it for the money. Just my opinions of course.

I would like to get back to the incident. Those of you with experience as umps what was the right course of actions for everything that happened?

 

 

You mentioned kids hanging on the behind the backstop. If they were on the team the ump has to get in the dugout. No question.

 

The ump was right in addressing the kid running his mouth. He doesn't need to go through a coach. The only issue MIGHT be what he said to the kid.

 

The ump should have brought the head coaches (not the assistants) together and explained that it is their responsibility to control the crowd and then had them talk to their fans. If the poor behavior continued the game should have been cancelled.

 

Officials HAVE to take control.

I think where we umpired is a little different than most places though.

 

Hahaha. True enough. :lol:

 

I would like to get back to the incident. Those of you with experience as umps what was the right course of actions for everything that happened?

 

My apologies for getting us off track.

 

I don't think the umpire did anything at all wrong in addressing the kid that ran his mouth. If he's old enough to run his mouth, he's old enough to receive a reprimand or warning.

The lower the age of the kids, the worse the parents are in my opinion. I have not done any youth sports in about 7-8 years and it would take a good amount of cash to get me to do it again.

Sounds like a typical game for the American Legion teams.

 

Back to the current issue, the coaches are right about the umpire addressing them instead of the players. Unless the coaches aren't controlling their own players, which in this case it sounds like they weren't.

My apologies for jumping in with Randy. Just working on a shared dream. :D. My bad.

 

There is definitely less respect for coaches and umpires from youth league to high school in this day and age. I don't remember situations from my youth similar to situations I encounter as a parent of kids that have played organized sports since they were of age. Everybody is smarter than their kid's coach and everybody knows the rules better than the umpires/referees. Drives me nuts.

The lower the age of the kids, the worse the parents are in my opinion. I have not done any youth sports in about 7-8 years and it would take a good amount of cash to get me to do it again.

 

You're not the first person I've heard say this.

 

For the most part, I umpired in my teenage years. It was a small park, small league & was run by a man who did the league for the good of the kids. He wasn't encouraged by the local school to do it; he just did it on his own & didn't really make any money. Having grown up in this small community & played in the league as a youngster, I was known by the overwhelming majority of players, coaches, parents & fans, so that made the job a little easier. And while I got along well with most everyone, there was a time or two where I had to really get on coaches, players, & every once in a while, fans. I've always had a bossy and/or controlling nature, so that actually came in handy during some of those sticky situations.

 

This league, however, sounds a lot less Mayberryish. I definitely don't envy those that call the balls & strikes in those types of leagues.

Booze + Little League Parents = MMA

I took in a little league game last night (12 year olds) and all I can say is wow what entertainment, and I am not talking about the game.

 

Is it always like this at these little league baseball games!?

 

BTW, when you say "Little League", do you mean the actual league or just referring to younger age kids that may have been playing knothole? Not that there's a huge difference - there's idiot parents in both leagues. Just curious how you were using the term "Little League."

  • Author

It was a select baseball game among teams that play 75 to 100 games over the summer.

It was a select baseball game among teams that play 75 to 100 games over the summer.

 

Sounds like AABC. Did you notice if they were allowed to lead off?

  • Author

Yes on leading off.

Yes on leading off.

 

Not Little League then. AABC which is irrelevant to the story but apparently important to my man Coop.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.