Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Little League Baseball - Wow!

Featured Replies

My old man, outside of 3rd and 4th grade basketball, never coached me in a single sport. He coached baseball, basketball and softball. I asked him one time why he didn't coach my teams (this was around 7th grade) he told me, "Because I want you to earn it, without question." That answer was good enough for me. He would attend nearly every sporting event and he'd always sit by himself normally up in the corner of the stands. He wouldn't say a thing, wouldn't shout a word. It was always on the walk out to the car after the game that he would "coach me."

 

I too do not like the loud parents. Let your kids play, let the coach coach. After the game is when you can have the learning moment with your child. Its part of parenting IMO.

  • Replies 91
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To my boys who want to come and heckle:

 

First, you'd never get a look from me while heckling. NONE.

 

Second, knowing you guys a bit I can't imagine you guys saying the magic words that would get you tossed. You can tell me I suck. You can make fun of my shoes. You can tell me I need glasses. None of that would even phase me.

 

Lastly, if you DID indeed say something that warranted your removal you would not see my smiling face. Game management would handle that. If you're in Boone County those guys would be wearing a hat and a gun. Otherwise, some school administrator would escort you out.

 

With that said, the posts did make me chuckle.

I've umpired and coached a bit, and don't regret one day giving it up. Especially when I read stories like this. It really is getting atrocious.

Starting to chase a rabbit here a bit, but I've always wished I could "re-coach" my son. I most certainly didn't fall into the category of giving my son any special treatment or showing any favoritism. He got "coached" harder, which by and large, meant criticized harder and more frequently. My assistant coaches were constantly on me about being too hard on him. I had a very hard time separating my coaching role and father role and he got "coached" at practices, games, on the car rides home, at home, etc.... I think a lot of guys fall into this trap (at least I'm hoping I'm not on an island here). I wish so badly I could re-do it. I think I killed a little bit of his baseball spirit and he turned out to be a football-first kid by the end of high school. I will always regret this. Fell into the trap of yet another dad living out his unfulfilled baseball (or whatever sport) career through his son. Oh well, nothing to do with the topic at hand. A couple posts just got me to thinking and re-living some regrets.

Nothing wrong with packing a little cooler with a few pops in there to get you through the game IMO. As long as you are not acting like an idiot or drinking too many pops. The problem is you have people that have no class or self control getting liquored up and then when things dont go their way it can get ugly with the yelling and screaming. Many responsible parents sit way up on the hill at a certain ballpark and enjoy a cold beverage, nothing wrong with that. Sitting behind the plate guzzling a sixer of Old Milyucky is another story. JMO

Starting to chase a rabbit here a bit, but I've always wished I could "re-coach" my son. I most certainly didn't fall into the category of giving my son any special treatment or showing any favoritism. He got "coached" harder, which by and large, meant criticized harder and more frequently. My assistant coaches were constantly on me about being too hard on him. I had a very hard time separating my coaching role and father role and he got "coached" at practices, games, on the car rides home, at home, etc.... I think a lot of guys fall into this trap (at least I'm hoping I'm not on an island here). I wish so badly I could re-do it. I think I killed a little bit of his baseball spirit and he turned out to be a football-first kid by the end of high school. I will always regret this. Fell into the trap of yet another dad living out his unfulfilled baseball (or whatever sport) career through his son. Oh well, nothing to do with the topic at hand. A couple posts just got me to thinking and re-living some regrets.

 

As I always said when dad coaches : the other players get to get away from the coach as soon as practice is over. "Son" gets a critique on the drive home.

 

We've all got them, homie.

Starting to chase a rabbit here a bit, but I've always wished I could "re-coach" my son. I most certainly didn't fall into the category of giving my son any special treatment or showing any favoritism. He got "coached" harder, which by and large, meant criticized harder and more frequently. My assistant coaches were constantly on me about being too hard on him. I had a very hard time separating my coaching role and father role and he got "coached" at practices, games, on the car rides home, at home, etc.... I think a lot of guys fall into this trap (at least I'm hoping I'm not on an island here). I wish so badly I could re-do it. I think I killed a little bit of his baseball spirit and he turned out to be a football-first kid by the end of high school. I will always regret this. Fell into the trap of yet another dad living out his unfulfilled baseball (or whatever sport) career through his son. Oh well, nothing to do with the topic at hand. A couple posts just got me to thinking and re-living some regrets.

 

Coop don't beat up on yourself, that Kid just loved Football more and my is guess, it had nothing to do with you. I am betting that one day that Kid of yours winds up coaching his son in Football and his son, your Grandson, will love soccer!

 

Heck you know how much I love Baseball and my daughter, well I tried but it wasn't something she liked, now soccer, she loved it and so I learned to like it too!

As I always said when dad coaches : the other players get to get away from the coach as soon as practice is over. "Son" gets a critique on the drive home.

 

We've all got them, homie.

 

Yep, main reason I stopped coaching my son in 5th grade.

 

I do get a little tired of watching Daddy Ball though. Its pretty obvious who is penciled in at each position every game and never comes out. You got good athletes sitting 2 innings because of a rotation but 4 kids never come out and 3 of them are Coach's sons.

Starting to chase a rabbit here a bit, but I've always wished I could "re-coach" my son. I most certainly didn't fall into the category of giving my son any special treatment or showing any favoritism. He got "coached" harder, which by and large, meant criticized harder and more frequently. My assistant coaches were constantly on me about being too hard on him. I had a very hard time separating my coaching role and father role and he got "coached" at practices, games, on the car rides home, at home, etc.... I think a lot of guys fall into this trap (at least I'm hoping I'm not on an island here). I wish so badly I could re-do it. I think I killed a little bit of his baseball spirit and he turned out to be a football-first kid by the end of high school. I will always regret this. Fell into the trap of yet another dad living out his unfulfilled baseball (or whatever sport) career through his son. Oh well, nothing to do with the topic at hand. A couple posts just got me to thinking and re-living some regrets.

 

I'm sorry you're having these regrets, but as a young father, your words here have helped me. My daughter has just started & I've coached her teams both in basketball & tee-ball. While I don't believe I'll coach anymore after this year, what you've said here has helped me to see that I've been guilty of the same. Thanks for that. :thumb:

I'm sorry you're having these regrets, but as a young father, your words here have helped me. My daughter has just started & I've coached her teams both in basketball & tee-ball. While I don't believe I'll coach anymore after this year, what you've said here has helped me to see that I've been guilty of the same. Thanks for that. :thumb:

 

My experience (and probably Coop's) says that at that age you're not coaching them like you will when they age a bit.

 

I think a good rule for a parent , regardless if coaching, is to not bring up any game/practice conversation in the car. Give the kid time to chill and wind down before you start your "coaching."

 

Not easy.

^

 

My dad never watched me practice when he wasn't the coach. My dad also never talked bad about any of my coaches in my presence.

 

That is exactly how my Dad was as well.

I can't picture any parents at our practices growing up. Heck, the coach drove around and picked everyone up. We all rode in the back of his truck.

My experience (and probably Coop's) says that at that age you're not coaching them like you will when they age a bit.

 

I think a good rule for a parent , regardless if coaching, is to not bring up any game/practice conversation in the car. Give the kid time to chill and wind down before you start your "coaching."

 

Not easy.

 

Not easy at all.

My dad never watched me practice when he wasn't the coach. My dad also never talked bad about any of my coaches in my presence.

 

PP92 Sr. sounds like a very wise man. :thumb:

I can't picture any parents at our practices growing up. Heck, the coach drove around and picked everyone up. We all rode in the back of his truck.

 

Maybe at the tail end of practice when they were picking us up, but that's pretty much my experience.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.