Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Little League Baseball - Wow!

Featured Replies

  • Author

Coop is having a cow.

 

Little kids coop, I gave the age, does it really matter!?

  • Replies 91
  • Views 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not Little League then. AABC which is irrelevant to the story but apparently important to my man Coop.

 

You can't lead off in LL?

Coop is having a cow.

 

Little kids coop, I gave the age, does it really matter!?

 

Not at all. And not sure how I was having a "cow," but if you say so. But when you started the thread using the term "Little League", I was simply wondering if you were referring to the actual league itself. There is a specific league called Little League.

You can't lead off in LL?

 

No. Which is one of several reasons it is a stupid league for kids ages 11-12. 9-10 year olds, fine, but kids 11-12 (13 by time midseason rolls around) should be leading off, pitching from stretch, catching third strikes, playing distances longer than 46' pitching and 60' bases, etc.....

No. Which is one of several reasons it is a stupid league for kids ages 11-12. 9-10, fine, but kids 11-12 (13 by time midseason rolls around) should be leafing off, pitching from stretch, catching third strikes, playing distances longer than 46' pitching and 60' bases, etc.....

 

Is that new? I could have sworn we could do that when I was that age.

Is that new? I could have sworn we could do that when I was that age.

 

Nope. Always been that way. Watch the Little League WS this summer on TV and you'll see what I am talking about. Half the pitchers throw 70 mph+, which is equivalent to a 100 mph pitch at the major league level.

  • Author
Not at all. And not sure how I was having a "cow," but if you say so. But when you started the thread using the term "Little League", I was simply wondering if you were referring to the actual league itself. There is a specific league called Little League.

 

I like the term cow and I was simply making fun of you coop. :D

Nope. Always been that way. Watch the Little League WS this summer on TV and you'll see what I am talking about. Half the pitchers throw 70 mph+, which is equivalent to a 100 mph pitch at the major league level.

 

Huh. I guess we didn't then. Maybe I should drink less. :idunno:

Huh. I guess we didn't then. Maybe I should drink less. :idunno:

 

Drinking while you were in Little League probably didn't help your chances for a pro career. :p

Drinking while you were in Little League probably didn't help your chances for a pro career. :p

 

:lol: Couldn't have hurt it!

Parents and coaches can be real idiots. Everyone thinks their "little all star" is the next MLB star. I'm sure there wasn't any college or pro scouts at the game. Kids just love to play and the parents and coaches should let them. It's not a matter of life or death. It's just a kid's game. If I was the ump, I would have tossed the father, the kid, the coach(s), the ugly fat lady and anyone else who opened their mouth. If that didn't get the job done, I would have called the game and said, "see you idiots later". Grow up and act like adults and let kids be kids.

One of the things I loved most about the Cooperstown Field of Dreams complex and tournament is that they stick parents down the RF and LF lines. No parents behind the backstop or near the dugouts or the players during the game. Always a few exceptions, but mostly just kids playing baseball. Now after the game, I'm sure moms and dads can scold their future major league for making an error or striking out, but at least during the game, it's just the kids and coaches. Great experience. Done it twice and loved it both times.

None of this is particular to Little League per se. It's becoming more and more commonplace in all of youth sports. Mommies and daddies who know more than the coaches, believe their kid is the second coming of Ty Cobb/Jim Brown/Bob Cousy and deserve special treatment, accord umpires as much respect as they've taught their own kids to respect authority, and generally have all the courtesy and class of a bar room drunk.

 

As a lot of people know I oversee a group of people who clean some of the county parks as well as close them. You would be surprised just how much drinking is going on during those games and I am not just talking beer but hard liquor.

 

Funny but when I umpired back in the day it wasn't the kids or in most cases it wasn't even the coaches but the parents, who caused the trouble, I guess some things never change!

 

Heck when I started to coach I had a written set of rules that I had each parent sign, spelling out what we as a team excepted from the parents at the games. BTW I can't believe the number of parents who stay and watch practice today, I mean practice?

Back in the day, I was happy when practice was over, (we did have a set time) that the parents showed up to take home their kids.

^

 

My dad never watched me practice when he wasn't the coach. My dad also never talked bad about any of my coaches in my presence.

Every venue should have sign that says the following:

 

You are allowed to do ONE of the following:

 

- Play

- Coach

- Referee/Umpire

- Spectate

 

Pick one - stick with it. Otherwise please leave.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.