Director of Football Operations

I was chatting (email) with a head football coach here in our wonderful state recently and he told me he has a Director of Football Operations. Off the top of my head it sounds like a fantastic idea. How many schools have such a thing and good idea or bad idea?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a regular occurrence at the big schools in Texas. It is an administrative position in the schools and they can make good money. The head coach at Southlake Carroll is the Director of Football Operations and he has a 6 figure salary in a public school. There are not too many public school administrators that can say that.

Thanks for the info. What you added is very relevant but I was thinking about that position being held by someone other than the head football coach.

In that case it is probably someone who handles paperwork and logistics for the head coach so he can focus on the team.

I get that be, I am wondering what else they might do and if any other schools utilize one?

Well, I would guess field and facilities maintenance, equipment management and upkeep, game concessions, sponsoring, event staffing, and public relations would all fall under that job description. Maybe even physical training as well...

Thanks for the info. What you added is very relevant but I was thinking about that position being held by someone other than the head football coach.

In that case, I'll piggy back off of your question and ask what would a person in that position do if they are not the head coach (I would assume administrative responsibilities fall to the AD, head trainer and maintenance staff)?

Before I just jump to the conclusion that this is a bad idea or at least unncessary. I'll need a few things clarified.

Is it a paid position and if so how much? There's no reason why this should be a full time position, or even a position that's compensated more than a few bucks. School districts already have plenty of educators on the payroll who don't educate.

What exactly is the need/benefit for such a position? Between the head coach, assistants, trainer, AD, most schools have assistant AD's, and booster clubs, what's falling through the cracks?

Most Division I football and basketball programs have this position. But, we're talking about things like coordinating air travel, hotel arrangements, shoot-around time and sites on the road, setting up meeting rooms at above hotels, making sure scouting film is secured and equipment set up in coaches rooms on the road. To name a few, along with a lot of logistics of recuiting.

It's an important and legitimate position at the collegiate level (D-I) level. I'll be interested to see if it's at all needed at the HS level.

I would have a simple rule on whether this position is necessary - is there so much revenue generated by the football program you can afford to cover the cost of paying someone? Once the duties of running the non football side of a program become too much for boosters, then you might need this. I see this as a position that might be needed at bigger schools with high attendance at football games.

I can see how a program could warrant, afford and justify this position in Texas, but nowhere else. Other primary tasks that might fall into this description might include; rules compliance, recruiting facilitation (for their players to colleges), SID. I have seen middle school facilities in Texas that are be bigger and better than most h.s. facility in Greater Cincinnati. I can see this as trend that most big programs there will be forced to follow.

I suppose I could see a position such as this in the much larger type schools such as your Trinitys, St Xs and GCL type of schools but certainly not in your smaller schools. Would probably end up being another way for someone to collect a paycheck for a person that doesn't want to be in the classroom anyone. Just my opinion.

I guess I could see this as a move to take the place of a "Boosters Club President". I would see this position as a full time booster president in charge of generating revenue for the program, i.e. selling adds, selling sponsorships, paying bills, ect. I've ran our boosters club for several years and I can say that sometimes it could be a full time job to do it right when you are talking about selling program ads, field ads, game ball sponsors, season sponsors; and organizing fundraisers for an organization that is incorporated with a gaming licenses and employe id numbers and tax id numbers and financial reports; and organizing meetings and working as a go between with school administration, the coaching staff, the school board, and parents.

That's not mentioning some of the duties that are done by many coaches that could be included in a position such as this, like, ordering supplies and equipment, scheduling, logistics, statistics, trading films, making highlight films, and other needed things.

I could see it.

Before I became a head coach, I heard Sam Harp speak at the UK clinic and one of the things he had was a master list, broken down by month, of what a head football coach should do during the year. I have used that list the last 20 years and it has really helped me to be organized. The list has grown substantially since I first started using it. And, there are several things that need to be done that are not on the list. I can see how many of items on that type of list would be great for a director of football operations. But, when you look at prioritizing needs for most programs in KY, including Mason County, that position would be pretty far down the list. I agree with the posters that say maybe for a larger program it would be something to have. But, for most of us, assistant coach pay, helmets & shoulder pads, and facility needs would be more important.