August 13, 201313 yr You've already staked out a defensive ground, so I don't know what -- if anything -- I or anyone else could say in response that won't come across as mocking to you, even though that's not the intent. So all I can ask is this, since you put it out there: Do you still have to go to the hospital? And just because someone might question you on this doesn't mean they have a lack of faith that you can knock. It just means they may not have faith in the laying of hands. My faith is quite strong; but only Jesus can lay hands and heal. I didn't look as it as laying hands on me to heal me but to pray for my health and for God to lay his hands on me and heal me. The reason they asked to do this is that I have been struggling with heart failure and I'm scheduled to get a defibrillator implanted this week.
August 13, 201313 yr I didn't look as it as laying hands on me to heal me but to pray for my health and for God to lay his hands on me and heal me. The reason they asked to do this is that I have been struggling with heart failure and I'm scheduled to get a defibrillator implanted this week. Gotcha. I have no issues with the concept of spiritual healing, which is what you're talking about. That's not the same as a slap on the forehead from the Rev. to heal your hemorrhoids, and it definitely ain't like Jesus bring Lazarus back to life.
August 13, 201313 yr You've already staked out a defensive ground, so I don't know what -- if anything -- I or anyone else could say in response that won't come across as mocking to you, even though that's not the intent. So all I can ask is this, since you put it out there: Do you still have to go to the hospital? And just because someone might question you on this doesn't mean they have a lack of faith that you can knock. It just means they may not have faith in the laying of hands. My faith is quite strong; but only Jesus can lay hands and heal. Not true my friend. The apostles were also given this power and used it. That power may have been given to them by Jesus/God, true, but they did have it meaning others than just Jesus laid hands and healed. As for laying of hands, I have done it in a large group, and had it done to me one-on-one while being prayed for. It can be very powerful and moving and very comforting.
August 13, 201313 yr Not true my friend. The apostles were also given this power and used it. That power may have been given to them by Jesus/God, true, but they did have it meaning others than just Jesus laid hands and healed. As for laying of hands, I have done it in a large group, and had it done to me one-on-one while being prayed for. It can be very powerful and moving and very comforting. But did it heal your physical wounds/illnesses? And fair enough on the apostles part. Regardless, ain't no mortal been doing that kind of thing for almost 2,000 years.
August 13, 201313 yr But did it heal your physical wounds/illnesses? And fair enough on the apostles part. Regardless, ain't no mortal been doing that kind of thing for almost 2,000 years. Didn't expect it to, but it sure made me feel good that someone, who I didn't even know and had just met through my former little league football coach who I had not seen in over 20 years, cared enough to put his hands on me and pray with me and pray for my dad who was having very serious health problems. My dad recovered and is still with us. Don't know that his prayer had anything to do with it, but it sure didn't hurt I know that.
August 13, 201313 yr Gotcha. I have no issues with the concept of spiritual healing, which is what you're talking about. That's not the same as a slap on the forehead from the Rev. to heal your hemorrhoids, and it definitely ain't like Jesus bring Lazarus back to life. Yeah the Benny Hinns are kinda hard to fathom. I had a lady that worked for me that would spend a week at the Hooiser Dome every time he came to Indy, she was convinced he had the power.
August 14, 201313 yr In another thread, I mentioned in the Catholic Church there is a respected movement called the Charistmatic Renewal. In the context of a prayer meeting or a Healing Mass, laying on hands is a common thing in order to pray for someone. It can be for spiritual, emotional, or, yes, physical healing. It is mainly a faith event for the person receiving the prayers. They know that they are not alone and that a community of people really do care and join them in prayer. Many times, the person receiving the prayers is so distraught that they cannot pray for themselves. It is possibile that they are hurt for some reason that they can not approach God. The people doing the praying and laying of hands "stand in the gap" for that person. It is quite a beautiful thing and not meant to be a public show or entertainment. Yes, the person may still have to go to the hospital to have the surgery, but at least there is a sense of peace for them. Prayer is also an opportunity to pray that the doctors and nurses are guided by God in their care for the individual.
August 14, 201313 yr In another thread, I mentioned in the Catholic Church there is a respected movement called the Charistmatic Renewal. In the context of a prayer meeting or a Healing Mass, laying on hands is a common thing in order to pray for someone. It can be for spiritual, emotional, or, yes, physical healing. It is mainly a faith event for the person receiving the prayers. They know that they are not alone and that a community of people really do care and join them in prayer. Many times, the person receiving the prayers is so distraught that they cannot pray for themselves. It is possibile that they are hurt for some reason that they can not approach God. The people doing the praying and laying of hands "stand in the gap" for that person. It is quite a beautiful thing and not meant to be a public show or entertainment. Yes, the person may still have to go to the hospital to have the surgery, but at least there is a sense of peace for them. Prayer is also an opportunity to pray that the doctors and nurses are guided by God in their care for the individual. Sorry, not buying it. As I've noted, I'll buy the emotional uplift people can get from someone praying for you in this manner. But unless people are walking away from it cured from their medical maladies — nope, sorry, not fetching it. You can want something to be true so much that you believe it, but that doesn't make it true.
August 15, 201313 yr Sorry, not buying it. As I've noted, I'll buy the emotional uplift people can get from someone praying for you in this manner. But unless people are walking away from it cured from their medical maladies — nope, sorry, not fetching it. You can want something to be true so much that you believe it, but that doesn't make it true. Miracles happen around us daily and they don't make CNN, MSNBC, or FOX. I have seen some pretty amazing things. I have heard some fantastic witnesses about other healings. But skeptics will always exist.
August 15, 201313 yr Miracles happen around us daily and they don't make CNN, MSNBC, or FOX. I have seen some pretty amazing things. I have heard some fantastic witnesses about other healings. But skeptics will always exist. Call me a skeptic. I see miracles in the beauty of a sunset or a sunrise. I've seen a lot of other crazy things in my day, too, things that don't make a lot of sense. That doesn't mean they're miracles. Dumb luck comes into play a lot. So does science. There were times I'm pretty sure I had help guiding the steering wheel, and I chalked it up to my guardian angel (who needs a raise). But until I get some real proof that the Very Good Rev. Johnny Joe Chicken Wing slapped somebody on the forehead and cured their cancer, I'll continue with my skepticism. It just makes more sense that way.
August 15, 201313 yr Call me a skeptic. I see miracles in the beauty of a sunset or a sunrise. I've seen a lot of other crazy things in my day, too, things that don't make a lot of sense. That doesn't mean they're miracles. Dumb luck comes into play a lot. So does science. There were times I'm pretty sure I had help guiding the steering wheel, and I chalked it up to my guardian angel (who needs a raise). But until I get some real proof that the Very Good Rev. Johnny Joe Chicken Wing slapped somebody on the forehead and cured their cancer, I'll continue with my skepticism. It just makes more sense that way. I'll give that one, Jim. Yes, there are "pretenders" and "entertainers" out there. Honestly, I could care less who is doing the actual ministry. God works through the individual to minister to the person receiving the prayers. I serve a God big enough to do very extraordinary unbelieveable things (including physical healing). As with anything, judge by the fruit on the tree. I never ever give credit to the minister for the healing (that credit goes to God alone). However, I will admire those people who are humble enough and willing enough to believe that God is asking them to pray for people for healing. They do this knowing that they might be ridiculed. Here is an interesting final thought - everybody receives their healing...just some of them don't get it until they are in heaven. God's thinking is so far above mine (Isaiah 55:8-9) that I have no idea why some get healings on earth and others don't. But it is neat to see when one gets the opportunity to see God work up close.
August 15, 201313 yr Call me a skeptic. I see miracles in the beauty of a sunset or a sunrise. I've seen a lot of other crazy things in my day, too, things that don't make a lot of sense. That doesn't mean they're miracles. Dumb luck comes into play a lot. So does science. There were times I'm pretty sure I had help guiding the steering wheel, and I chalked it up to my guardian angel (who needs a raise). But until I get some real proof that the Very Good Rev. Johnny Joe Chicken Wing slapped somebody on the forehead and cured their cancer, I'll continue with my skepticism. It just makes more sense that way. I agree. And what people have to be watchful of are ministers who convince their flock that they are God on earth doing his work, that whatever they say or do is actually God working through them. If they can accomplish that then they become God. Jim Jones did this very well but with tragic results. So did the ancient Pharaohs. Benny Hinn has made an art of it.
August 16, 201313 yr One of the most common quotes I remember from the late, great Alabama Larry was, "You can heal with faith? OK, let's go down to Kosair Children's Hospital".
August 19, 201313 yr Really stretching now Jim. Anyone who's Christian has seen this done numerous times. When you're praying for someone who's present you lay hands on them. You guys sure are trying with the Tebow hate though, I'll give you that much. Never seen this in my 59 years in numerous religious and faith settings. Not even my devoutest friends and family has ever mentioned this. They would think it was a "show'. Not criticizing it but not how we roll. o each their own.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.