Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Is calling someone an Atheist a slur?

Featured Replies

Well, I guess it's as much of a slur as being told "You're one of THEM", when a co-worker once realized that I was Catholic. :lol: I agree with the poster above that it's a valid reason for someone of deep religious conviction to use it as a deal-breaker when deciding whether or not to pursue a relationship. Although I am "religious" (in the sense that I believe in my faith and choose to worship in a church), I don't decide my relationships with people based upon religious conviction. Now, you want to hate on Trinity, that's another story. :p :lol:

  • Replies 84
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure if it's not a slur it will be. It's getting to the point where everyone's gonna be afraid to talk. People are way way way too sensitive.

I've used the term, but have never intended it to be a slur. I've always felt that if you break the word down--"a" (meaning "no") & "theist" (meaning "belief in God")--that is was just descriptive of the person's viewpoint.

Big picture: In this day & age, everything is a slur. We have become way, way too sensitive as a society.

 

Your question: In this case, it seems like she's using it as a slur.

I've used the term, but have never intended it to be a slur. I've always felt that if you break the word down--"a" (meaning "no") & "theist" (meaning "belief in God")--that is was just descriptive of the person's viewpoint.
I agree, but do you feel the word is often used with negative intent?
I agree, but do you feel the word is often used with negative intent?

 

Most definitely.

It depends on how you're using it. You can use it as an insult if you want. I liked the post above that talked about the word "liberal." When speaking to a group of conservatives, calling someone a liberal is a way to generate an instant sense of revulsion. But I've heard friends of mine talk about people being "true liberals" and using it with admiration, to discuss someone whose progressivism they really admire.

 

So, you can say "He's an atheist." and use it in a way of describing someone as different or having some sort of deficiency or you can just use it to describe people. I know that any of my friends of that persuasion would certainly use it about themselves and each other without thinking it was any sort of insult.

A slur? Really?

 

With some people, I think it's intended that way. Just like I feel some use "Christian" as a slur. It's not the majority of folks, but there are some who I think use it with derogatory intent.

I don't consider it a slur but it does often have a negative feeling about it when it's used certain ways. Kind of like Evangelical.

Was the chick hot? Really all that matters.

Was the chick hot? Really all that matters.
:laugh: :laugh:

 

If she's hot enough maybe he can "find" Jesus!

  • Author
Was the chick hot? Really all that matters.

 

No, which figured into his response.

No, which figured into his response.
I think we need a separate thread for the response. I'm ready to see it. :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.