Everything posted by Grover
-
Ashland/George Washington (WV) updates
It's a final. 18-14, GW on top
-
Russell/Ironton, OH Predictions
For my two cents, the whole vibe of several of the posts (by Racelander's)was that Russell has been afraid to play Ironton over the years. I was not calling out any specific thread. And yes, sidelinedoc, you put a smiley face next to the Symmes Valley comment, but jokes like that are rooted in hidden truths. It's like the guy who always says, "you're fat and ugly, just kidding. What, you have no reason to be insulted, I was just kidding." And Sidelinedoc, I'll see you at church and give you a hard time (insert smiley here!!!!!) Also, was I there when Raceland tried to schedule? Of course not. However, no matter what "obstacles" Raceland has tried to overcome to schedule these tough schools, I was pointing out that in the past 10 years, they haven't either. Sure, LC might have been state semi-finalists that year, but one game in 10 years isn't much to brag about. I'm just pointing out the "pot calling the kettle black" that is apparent. What I do know about the Russell-Ironton situation is that when they did play halfway consistently in the past, something happened that really made Coach McGlone mad and he pretty much vowed to never play them again. Not playing them had nothing to do about fearing them or trying to play cupcakes to pad the win column. Coach McGlone has too much class for that crap. Also, I've been around the Russell camp for the past decade (but am no longer around much), and while we are talking about Raceland begging to play Russell and Russell refusing, the mindset was this: It is a lose/lose situation for Russell to play Raceland. If Russell beats them, they really gain nothing. If Russell loses to Raceland, then they have gained nothing but grief from little brother down the river. Should that have been the mindset? I definitely think not. However, that can't be changed now. Except for last year, I would venture to say that about every other year Russell could have played Raceland, they would have beaten a smaller, lesser opponent, which would not help prepare them for the playoffs. It's obvious that some Raceland posters despise Russell, and maybe deservedly so in their eyes. They will dog Russell every chance they get and are doing so now with Ironton. So, enjoy doing so. At least, maybe it will make you feel better all day long. Now, for the original topic of the thread. I knew Raceland was down this year compared to the last two, but the Russell W and the margin surprised me. I do know that Russell is down a bit this year with the QB situation still a big ??? and a good but not great running game. I think Russell's D will keep them somewhat in the game, but probably cannot overcome the talent and athleticism of the Lawrence County Ohio All Stars. My prediction: 40-7 Ironton.
-
Ashland 48 Raceland 14 (JV)
Tis true. Usually happens ever so often, if the larger school plays a large number of lower classmen, or the smaller school has some exceptional talent like Raceland had last year. Raceland had an UNUSUALLY large number of seniors last year getting the majority of playing time on the varsity level, if I remember correctly.
-
Ashland 48 Raceland 14 (JV)
Seniors can't play JV, unless that's changed. Also, this game is probably a misnomer since Raceland usually has a smaller number of players and they have more lower classmen playing varsity and thus, not playing JV. I think the divide between smaller and larger schools really shows at the JV level.
-
Russell/Ironton, OH Predictions
So how many times has Raceland played Ironton over the years? And while we're at it, let's look at Raceland's non-conference teams played over the years: Boyd Greenup Ashland Fleming Co. East Carter West Carter Paintsville Rowan County Lewis County South Floyd Coal Grove Lawrence County (got a spankin' 52-0) Bath County Johnson Central (back in 1998 before they were much count) Murder's Row? Hardly. Now, I don't have a dog in the hunt, but it does chap my butt to see the high and mighty Racelander's dogging Russell for "refusing to play Ironton", when they've not exactly called them up or played many tough teams either. Yes, you've played Ashland for many years, but other than that, cupcake city. Appears a little hypocritical. But, what do I know, I'm a muppet.
-
Russell/Ironton, OH Predictions
They actually usually run a straight T, but it can appear to be similar to a wishbone.
-
The Future of Greenup County Football
Not trying to cause trouble, but it appears to be your point. Your post sounded like you were using the possibility of female athletes using the turfed field to play lacrosse or field hockey. If it's not your point, then your analogy is bad.
-
The Future of Greenup County Football
I see your point, but lacrosse??? Field Hockey??? Do any Kentucky schools offer these sports?
-
Is Carter suiting up for Ashland this year?
I know some teachers at Ashalnd and they said he is at Ironton.
-
State: Greenup Co. vs Lawrence Co.
I went with Lawrence, but I wouldn't be surprised if it ended 0-0 after 40 innings and both squads run out of pitching. :laugh:
-
Greenup County 4 Boyd County 0
Maybe true, or not. However, what is the point of this statement? If it's to diminish Greenup, then bad move.
-
Russell Girls Opening!
Golfer Dad, I understand and support you stating your opinion. It's the purpose of this board. I'm just letting you know that (at least to me), your tone comes across as arrogant and condescending. If you're cool with it, then I'm cool with it. It just turns people off of your opinion. As far as Cassity being the best choice, he may be. However, I think the fact that he is an assistant principal is his MAJOR weakness. He will have countless duties after school and in the summer, ad I know that he has desires of pursuing the head principalship should it come up. I don't blame the guy there at all, but if you know going in that the guy may be a short term candidate, it makes for a tough choice. I think if he were just a full time teacher, it would be a different story.
-
Johnny Pabst Signs with Thomas More
Sorry. I couldn't control myself. I LOVE that name.
-
Russell Girls Opening!
I couldn't care less who gets the job, but you keep spouting your OPINION like it's gospel. It makes you come across arrogant. Gets people riled up. "Best hire" is simply who YOU think is the best hire. If DevilMom thinks someone else (hypothetically) is the "Best hire", who is right? Even if you were, your tone drives people away from your opinion. Just my two cents worth, I'm not sure why someone who's job will most definitely require more after school time/extended summer work schedule than a regular teacher and who also has NO real varsity experience and definitely NO head coaching experience is the "best choice". They might very well be and be successful, but there are a LOT of issues to push around. Also, I know for a FACT that this individual told the site base council that if the head honcho job at the Primary came open, they would try and get that job. If that happened next year, would Russell be back to hiring a head coach again? It is a stress on the SBDM in considering a candidate and makes it hard to see why they are the clear cut "best" candidate. If you want my opinion, I think Ron Reed would be the "best hire". He has head coaching experience, he is retired thus not requiring a teaching position for the candidate, and also has all the free time in the world to dedicate to the job. He may not do the best candidate, but on paper, he appears to be the "best hire".
-
Johnny Pabst Signs with Thomas More
No offense, I don't even know Johnny, but he has the PERFECT name for a rockabilly singer! Johnny Pabst and the Blue Ribbon Band!
-
Lawrence Co. 25 Sheldon Clark 0
Wow...nail biter. Seventh inning rally?
-
Desmond Johnson- Cumberland High School
Is LMU Lincoln Memorial or Loyola Marymount? I'm guessing the first, but am not sure.
-
Date for hiring of new Russell coach?
I am glad to see that I am wrong. Congrats to Coach Kidwell.
-
Date for hiring of new Russell coach?
From what I hear, there were quite a few applicants. It was narrowed down to two candidates to interview. Why just two I have no idea.
-
Date for hiring of new Russell coach?
True. And I want to emphasize (because I think my earlier post was a little vague), but the school principal officially hires the coach. He can interview them all by himself if he wants to. However, they usually (and are doing so in this case) have the site based council involved in the interview and weigh their opinions to come to a consensus on the hire. That being said, the site based council could say they want to hire coach X, and then the principal still hire someone else. However, this does not happen too often because it destroys the site base's climate and causes a lot of hard feelings. Also, it is based on the backbone of the principal. Some couldn't care less what the site base decides and will make a decision that they think is best, and some will always go by the site base decision, even if they don't agree with it.
-
Date for hiring of new Russell coach?
How true! That is why I said it is not always a bad hire, it just wasn't someone from within the district.
-
Date for hiring of new Russell coach?
I know the coach is hired by the site based council, and I've heard that there is not a consensus there yet on who the new coach should be. You have to remember that parents (sometimes with agendas, sometimes not) are included on this council. This is keeping it from being cut and dried. Also, if you look at the hiring history of the sports coaches (head coaches), Russell has a HORRIBLE track record of hiring its own. They have constantly overlooked those Russell employees who have either put in their time being assistant coaches and head coaches of minor sports for people from "somewhere else". Not that this is always bad, but it is the case. There is a mentality at Russell and a lot of other places that when looking for a head coach, high quality coaches come from other places, never from within. I guess it's the whole "comfortable" scenario. They all know Merle Kidwell at Russell, his good, bad, and ugly. Joe Blow from Ironton or some college comes in for an interview and they know NOTHING about him. He spins all the bells and whistles for the interviewing committee, shows them the shiny black boxes and all of a sudden, he looks GREAT! They don't know his bad and ugly, so they naively think they are more qualified than the inside people. Look back at the following (and if I forget a few, please forgive me or correct me): Basketball 1. Hired Steve Dodd (from outside), passed over Merle Kidwell and Jim Conway, both Russell people and assistants. Kidwell ended up with the girls job and Conway left to become head coach in Laurel County. 2. Larry Stamper (from outside the district) 3. Sam Sparks (from outside the district) Football 1. Hired Ivan McGlone (from outside the district) 2. Before him, I have no idea Anyway, I may be totally off base, but because of the reasons I stated above, I am now believing that Merle Kidwell will not be the next head coach at Russell. I hope I am wrong.
-
Russell Coaching Vacancies
The General may be on the right track. I don't think Russell will have a decision until next week.
-
Russell Coaching Vacancies
My sources say that Russell is only interviewing two candidates. One of the names has Ironton ties (and no, it is not Zornes).
-
Rick Bolus' new Kentucky rankings
It could be. I just think it would be sad if Evan Faulkner never got a college scholarship because coaches were looking for Even Ferguson!