Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

J Livengood

10 Post Members
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by J Livengood

  1. Would be a very very smart move and a logical one... I have known Preston for a while... very smart basketball IQ.... said all along that while Preston wasn't ready to be a head coach, it would be unwise to let him get away from the school....
  2. Congrats and good luck, look forward to getting to know him and covering him closely in the coming year... hopefully he is as nice to this young play by play dude and my color guy as Mike Flynn was... But if he doesn't last or goes somewhere else within than 5 years, terrible hire IMO... He has a team next year that I think can compete with Montgomery for a spot in the region tournament.... but long term the odds of getting to region decrease... At a place like Bourbon in a terribly difficult district, you need to build a constant program, and it starts with creating an identity and playing with toughness... you will not win and compete against GRC and Montgomery without playing defense... period... This hire actually came a couple weeks earlier than I expected... maybe I have just been spoiled by the length of the previous coaching searches... Good Luck Jay... look forward to knowing ya...
  3. I am as confused as everyone else... I made a few calls and haven't heard anything... Going with a young guy makes some sense, BUT the new coach has to be totally committed... if you keep losing coaches, the quality of your program suffers....
  4. Whitaker has won at just about everything he has coached... defintely a loss for the Fillies... enjoyed covering his teams....
  5. He is a very good guy and has done a pretty solid job as assistant...
  6. Because there are more qualified candidates that could be interested in the job to be honest with ya... Rushing into a hire is the absolute worst thing they could do... "rushing" means you likely will be settling... and Bourbon County is a good enough job where settling shouldn't be an option.... taking their time and getting the right person for the job is more important than a few summer activities IMO...
  7. Athletic but at times seems uncommitted and missed some games last year for some undisclosed reasons... if they get a total effort and commitment for him, it will help... but I am almost for sure he wasn't all region... Stevens (player they are losing) was a starter... decent contributor...
  8. It's a good job... there will be qualified takers... it's getting someone who will treat the job like a career move, and not just a stepping stone.... I believe they need someone with coaching experience in region... but someone who will provide fresh air to the program... they have went outside region the last two hires with "mixed" results.... The guys you mentioned with Bourbon ties are interesting, but they would be down my list a bit... Like I said before... this search will probably take a while...
  9. Congrats... he was a joy to cover....
  10. Davi Stanley is a real nice ballplayer (listed at 5'10)... will be a Sophomore next year... enjoyed covering him last year... has a tendency to force action sometimes but you can see the talent.... Alot of the problems Paris had last year was motivation to be quiet honest... some of the players didn't match the intesity that others on the team had... and it hurt them... if they can get everyone on the same page next year, they can contend to win 10 or so games.... D'Andre Jackson is a solid 6'3 kid who gave some decent minutes at times off the bench last year.... another to be Sophomore... If I remember right they are only losing one kid (Zach Stevens)... they will win more than a couple ballgames next year, but in the 40th district, they will likely not get out of the last place....
  11. Hundley is a "name brand" and brings some cred... having some coaching experience in the 40th doesn't hurt either.... would not be a bad hire.... I have thought about Hammonds... but again wouldn't know why he would leave unless he is dying to get back into 10th region basketball... I was a huge Bob Ward fan, and the job Hammonds did as his top assistant was solid... But a very lateral move for Hammonds if he took the job IMO... Someone threw out the name Tony Sosby to me, and while I love the guy, I'm not sure he would be the best fit... he has done a terrific job with the Bourbon girls program, but to be honest the girls team had better talent than their overall record the past 2 years.. lost alot of close games, and alot of games they had seemingly won in the 4th quarter... alot of that goes back to coaching in my opinion... plus I always recommend bringing in "new blood" to a program.... and I'm not sure he would want to get back into boys coaching.... Like someone else said, this job becomes 10 times more attractive and likely easier if district are realigned... the 40th is a monster and Bourbon is really the 3rd spoke in a 4 team wheel at the moment.... Bourbon will get a qualified candidate... no doubt about it... but it's about getting the "right" guy.... fans need to become excited about the team again... the atmosphere has steadily declined at home games for years now....
  12. I agree on all counts... but the Paris Girls lost a ton of girls to graduation last year, if they dont atleast ask, they are crazy... if he is ever going to leave, now would probably be the time.... The Greisser hire was a good one for Montgomery, I would not be in the least surprised to see them try to land and eventually hire a top level assistant at a state contending program.... as for names, I would be pulling them out of the sky right now because I haven't heard much... if I remember right it took them a good while to hire Daniel Brown after Salsman left to Lex Cath... so it could be well into June...
  13. I agree... they should be able to handle Paris the next couple of years and stay away from the top seed in the district tournament (likely GRC)... no one is going to beat GRC in the district the next few years, but I was willing to say Bourbon would be very competitive, if not a little better, than Montgomery next year with Flynn as coach (Indians lost a ton of guys), but I defintely am holding off that now even with some decent talent coming back next year... I have heard Lemaster's name thrown around, but I would think he would need a little more seasoning... the next coach would be very wise to keep him on staff.... I would take the approach of shoot for the moon first, and then come down to other options... A talented top assistant would make sense... Brandon Salsman was a great hire even though he wasn't a "great" regular season coach in terms of wins and losses... his teams were always ready for postseason play, won the 37th district every year he was there, and went to atleast the region semifinals in each year... Like I said in a previous post, Bourbon needs someone who will be willing to stay a long time and consider the job a future, not just a stepping stone... Call me crazy, but Terrence Brooks (girls coach at Paris) would make a near slam dunk hire in my opinion... but he has deep deep Paris roots... it's hard to see that happening... but I would make a phone call.... defintely one of the best defensive coaches I have covered at the boys or girls level....
  14. There will be alot of rumors and alot of names... but the key is getting someone who will be a staple... you want a good coach but you also want someone who isn't going to another job in a year or two... stability is a key Bourbon had for years in Russ Day... and I think it's important for them to get that back again... Look at the best teams in the 10th region year in and year out (and in any region really)... the best teams have been built up over time... they dont just come out of nowhere... it starts at a young level and the players really grow as a team (GRC and Mason are prime examples)... In these situations they have had pretty stable systems to work in... Bourbon has had several different styles the last couple years with several different coaches (Salsman liked to run, Brown did as well, but Flynn was more deliberate half-court)... Bourbon needs a consistent guy that will be the coach for a while.... I know his very beautiful wife and he may be worth a look.... my guess is he would be interested....
  15. Congrats to Maggie... it wsa a pleasure covering her several times the past couple seasons...
  16. I have heard similar rumblings as you HCHS... but nothing definite... if I hear anything more I'll share... I dont think this is good news (if true) based simply on the number of coaching changes Bourbon has had the last six years (Ward, Salsman, Brown, Flynn)... it's not healthy for the overall system, and to be honest it has shown on the floor the last several years... Mike has the team going in the right direction, played much better last year than in 06-07, and played GRC very well in the district tournament (up 5 at half)... he is a great guy and has always treated the media well in the area... will miss him if it is true... The big question for Bourbon if he does leave is who is the replacement? It's a decent job, but it was definitely more attractive when the Colonels were in the old 37th district.... the 40th is a beast....
  17. I say it all the time, but Humphrey is the best coach in the 10th region IMO.... It would be a major loss to GRC and the region if he has to leave... but I can guarantee it wont take long for him to get back on his feet... Here is hoping to a quick resolution that involves Humphrey staying at GRC... I have enjoyed covering some of his games the past several seasons....
  18. Montgomery once again the team to beat in the 40th and the 10th.... GRC will be good, but interested to see how they replace Montgomery inside.... Bourbon losses just about everyone.... rebuilding year... Elizabeth Stamper needs to step into a key role.... Paris losses a ton as well.. Emily Hinkson will be the glue....
  19. She was hurt in the Semi, didn't come out after halftime from my understanding.... Sounded like a pretty exciting game, Franklin pretty much lead throughout the ballgame.... but like other said, shaky foul shooting seem to always bite ya....
  20. It has been a pleasure to cover the Montgomery Girls while doing Bourbon games the past two seasons... I was rooting for them but it sounded like they just couldn't get their shot to fall at times.... 4 Staright Quarterfinal appearances... some people call that the Buffalo Bills, I call that a heck of an accomplishment.... Mackenzie Lee= my pick for preseason 10th region POY next season...... Jehlik and E. Prewitt might compete for a spot on the first team... wouldn't be shocked if they make another state run next year... It was a joy to watch Maggie Prewitt... will miss watching her play...
  21. Congrats to Montgomery.... hopefully Prewitt has no ill effects from her injury (didnt' sound too bad) and will be ready to go tommorrow night... Key will be getting quality play from Webb and Garland off the bench in what could be a high scoring ballgame.... Quarters has been the stumbling block for them the past three years... if they win tommorrow night, I like their chances to get to Saturday Night....
  22. Same thing as last night... huge second quarter pretty much killed the opponent... went on a 11-0 run to start the 2nd quarter to break a 14-14 first quarter tie... Miller is just so smooth... can't get over how much his shot has improved over the years... Montgomery loses a ton of players (Stull, Clark, Stephens, etc.), and it should be interesting to see how Bourbon (slowly improving under Flynn) can play against them next year... Rash will be a key.... I am also rooting for a Mason vs. Lexington Catholic Final, but I have to say I'll be rooting for Catholic (can't go against my homeboy Salsman)... would be a great finale....
  23. Didn't get to stay around for this one, but sounded like Scott was extremely uptight early and Montgomery prounced on it.... I think most had Mason and Montgomery as the top two in Region 10 in preseason... should be a fun matchup.... If Stevens has a big night, Montgomery has a shot IMO... I think Scott is another team that is a serious contender for a region title next year... scrappy team... solid coach... I look forward to seeing how they progress....
  24. GRC had a nice run in the first quarter, but the second quarter (especially the late three at the buzzer) really put a damper on their sales... Congrats to Mason, hard to believe this was the first time I had been able to watch them this year, with my school studies and not playing Bourbon for the first time in what seems like ages, didn't get a chance to see the Royals first hand till tonight... It's amazing to me how much Miller has improved from year to year... It was pretty clear to me... Mason is the "now" team, GRC is the "future" team... I know the people around the 40th have talked about it all year, and I think the region will clearly see it... I wouldn't be shocked to see multiple state appearances for GRC the next few years... Stenzel is the real deal, I like the Rogers kid, and Hatton is going to provide quality leadership next year... plus for my money, Humphrey is the best coach in the region....
  25. Congrats to the Lady Indians.... quite an accomplishment.... Mason has nothing to be ashamed of.... the run they have had is defintely nothing to sneeze at... Chambers, Cline, and Litzinger have been a joy to watch... Jehlik was the difference... she has improved greatly since the beginning of the season, and it shows.... Montgomery can make a deep run in state if they play like they have since their loss at Bourbon in early Feb... after that game they have taken off like a rocket...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.