Everything posted by GR8BigBull
-
My District 8 top Coaches.
Where does Gooch coach? Just curious, I played at Kentucky Wesleyan when he coached DBs in 1983. Never heard where he ended up after playing a couple years in the USFL for the Birmingham Fire (I believe). Was a very firey player at Morehead State and an intense young coach back then.
-
Think this team would win a couple???
How is this post "calling you out"? I just stated that the thread was and should have been about the greatness of the players compiled on the Pennsylvania team. Nothing more, nothing less. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, you are correct. Just wish the focus of "some" of these threads could remain on the original subject. You could have suggested a few former Trinity standouts in particular spots for comparison. That is my opinion. Also, in my opinion, you provided a list a many fine football players at the high school level and the original team offered up from PA were fine high school, college and professional football players. Did any of those players besides the Gardners or Raible play at the professional level? I am seriously asking because I don't know for sure about the rest of the list. If we are going to discuss this I can offer up some vialble discussion.
-
Think this team would win a couple???
NOTE: Post #7 you already made the move. Never said you broke any rules. Why so defensive? I merely stated that a thread that started about a VERY talented team of Pennsylvania prep players, loaded with many NFL Hall of Famers, was seriously challenged by an All TRINITY team.
-
Vic Anderson/Super Southern 100 by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution
I believe the "holding them accountable" was already being taken care of! :thumb:
-
Think this team would win a couple???
Some fine high school football names on the list but I really cannot believe that this thread went that direction. I guess I should have just figured it (as many, many others) would end this way.:mad:
-
Vic Anderson/Super Southern 100 by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution
You may also sound as if you are KNOCKING on Doug Beaumont as well. They are two fairly different players who both have bright futures. As one plays on one side of the ball and can showcase his talent of running the football, the other plays darn near every snap of every game and DOES probably suffer in the regional and national spotlight because of that. That is no fault of either player. Well deserved congratulations to Victor Anderson and best of luck wherever he decides to take his talent for the next chapter in his young career.
-
Vic Anderson/Super Southern 100 by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution
This is not in defense or support one way or the other but I will say that at a Major College fottball program, a single player will not have to carry a team. I know you did not say that but that is the fact, there are far too many players who contribute to the overall success of the team at the D-1 level. I will say that I saw Vic as sophomore against Scott County in the State Title game. He absolutely BLEW that game wide open. The game was not a blowout until Vic went wild and if Coach Glaser had kept him in the game for an extended period, we MAY have seen a record rushing performance. Mattingly got his share of carries AFTER Vic scored 2 to maybe 3 TDs, then he played a little more sparingly. I guess I will say that Victor Anderson has a lot more potential for college than some may think. HE WILL need to stay healthy or he WILL get resruited over and play less. He has the uncanny sense of feeling the pressure, hit, goalline,etc. Has a natural lean when running and DEFINITELY keeps his feet moving. As far as any comparisons with any other players, you need to expect that because everyone will want to see how their favorites stack up against some of the ELITE players. That would be a compliment in my book.
-
Vic Anderson/Super Southern 100 by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution
I do not think Vic changing directions and deciding on Louisville OR Kentucky would be thought of in a bad light. The actual signing date has yet to come and there are very many athletes who do change their minds before signing day. He made an oral commitment, of course we all like to talk about men of their words and so on. Just as long as he can give the people at WVU a "heads up" so they can pursue some other recruit before it gets too late. These young athletes should continue to evaluate a prospective school as long as necessary since so much is riding on that signing day.
-
Think this team would win a couple???
Crazy!!! Those players had to have some outstanding High School accomplishments just to get them to the next level where they pobably had equally great accomplishments to get them to the next level AND had equally as great accomplishments to be in the PRO FOOTBALL Hall of Fame. So yeah, I would say that is just a little on the CRAZY side, IMHO!:creepy:
-
Think this team would win a couple???
BTW, Gifford said that hit changed his perspective on his football career. I can only imagine.
-
Think this team would win a couple???
Frank "The Tank"? Gifford pre Kathy Lee of course.:ylsuper:
-
Franklin County's Ammons- Where is he going?
What bothers me is that alot of these coaches are so convinced they KNOW talent that they consistently make the same mistakes over and over. How many times do they overlook a kid because they DO NOT fit a mold by their height or weight or lack of speed/quickness. They are wrong as much as they are right but will not change their thought processes. The staff at WKU seems to go after local names who do not go to big schools and also grab Junior College talent. Short lived successes in the past, hence the lack of big wins since their National Championship year. The staff at EKU seems to think that 3rd - 4th level talent in Florida is STILL superior to talent in state. I do think they could do a much better job of keeping some in state players, but seemed to have burned a lot of bridges. I will say that U of L has gotten a little more Louisville/Kentucky friendly in recent years and Kentucky has done quite well in recent years in keeping the kids IN STATE. I also agree that there a re a lot of local players who could help a lot of these programs (Murray as well). The smaller schools usually wait until the bigger schools "stake their claims" to go after some of the overlooked talent. Usually finding some "diamonds in the rough." Good Luck to Ammons on a prosperous future in college. Get the education but most of all enjoy your college experience wherever it may be!
-
Franklin County's Ammons- Where is he going?
They are a Div 1-AA (DI) school in Jacksonville, FLORIDA! Have been beating up on OVC teams for a couple years now.
-
AP All-State
- Doug Beaumont Mr.Football
Will NEVER try to insinuate that I have seen all candidates for this year's award BUT I cannot see the choice being disputed by very many. The things that Beaumont can do for a team are countless. He will play at the next level SOON! And most likely the level beyond that. Not too many high school athletes that you see (while still IN high school) you can say that about with a lot of confidence.- Count Down Till Kickoff
WOW!!! Is that ALL?- Status of Trinity QB Nick Petrino?
I agree but fortunately most know an MCL tear usually requires immobilization and NO surgery, usually. If he takes time and lets the injury heal (and then rehabs and strengthens the knee) he should have no lasting effects to limit him in college.- The future of Bob Beatty
If you think this is an issue that I will lose sleep over, you are wrong. Just posed a question as many others do in this forum. I don't understand the defensiveness of your reply. I believe most working individuals KNOW that with a "job well done" comes a manner of compensation. I WAS NOT the one bringing that up, just asking about the post. Sorry if I offended ANYONE!- The future of Bob Beatty
I would say that,"yes a $20,000 raise WOULD be VERY nice and a good reason for any coach to stay put at the high school level ANYWHERE!" All personal information I do not think anyone wants to divulge on a message board though. I was curious though how a coach at a school like St. X or Trinity is compensated. If there are any limits on what a quality coach can get paid versus what a teacher/coach can get paid at a public school. A question for another thread I suppose.- The future of Bob Beatty
Times are a changing as they say! I DO find it hard to believe that you did not have anyone on your team (while at Manual) who did not play until high school. I will bet that you were just unaware of these individuals. As a coach, you would definitely be aware of the less experienced players. I may very well be wrong though. I have been wrong once before when I thought I was wrong but I was actually right.- The future of Bob Beatty
He oughta run for mayor of St. Matthews then mayor of Louisville, then Governor. JMHO!- The future of Bob Beatty
It sound easy, doesn't it? Try to get football savy players out of a school with Performing Artists as the majority of your "male" population. I have seen players come to games LATE because of All-State band competitions and interviews for various programs. I know this sort of thing happens at most schools, it just seems to happen ALOT at certain schools. In addition to this, there are always 12-15 kids who come out for football as a freshman or sophomore and never knew how to adjust a chinstrap or put on shoulder pads. Heck, I joke with some of the new players by telling them that their tailbone pad is actually a nose pad. Half them do not know any better. I may be totally wrong but I would venture to say there are very few IF ANY players at St.X OR Trinity who have never played full contact football before going out for the school teams there. I am fairly sure that most of the (NON Big 3 schools) have the same or similar experiences. By having 70-100+ freshmen players, that in itself would deter the inexperienced player from "giving it a shot" as a freshman (just to have something to do or add to a college resume). We do what we can and have had several players who did try football for the first time as a freshman go on to be starters and huge contributors. This was especially true this year with a starting WR & DT and reserve LB. None of the three played before High School but played well for us this year and played KEY roles.- The future of Bob Beatty
If that is what you perceived to be written then you have some work to do on your translation skills.:thumb:- The future of Bob Beatty
Exactly, I have never seen so many defensive replies to what was essentially a compliment to the school and entire athletic program. I never once said I had things figured out and that Beatty was anything but a great coach. Just stated an opinion and gets everybody's feathers ruffled....GEEZ! Aren't we a little touchy? I would feel like it was a slap in my face if I was a hard working young man and heard everyone talk about how Coach Beatty does so much more with so much less to work with, that is the insult. That is EXACTLY why it is a tribute to the situation Trinity has built for its current student/athletes and alumni as well. Everyone should have an opportunity to play for such a high quality, Nationally Ranked Football team.- The future of Bob Beatty
Reread my first statement! I never detracted from Beatty and never said that ANY Tom, Dick, or Harry (Mike or Joe) could replace Beatty. Let us not think there have been some very distinct changes over the years at Trinity leading up to the hiring of Beatty and afterwards. The scope/range of the types of student/athletes has changed as has the facilities and the overall commitment to the football program has. I suspect there has been an overall commitment to athletics in general with the tremendous facilities they now have at their disposal. This is one reason I cringe when others talk about how they are so successful and "doing it with less"(?) Less what? Don't try that talent card or facilities or whatever. Let us all be realistic, Trinity has more of just about everything than most and they have worked to get that. (Not saying than St. X or even Male, just most). I, as well as alot of others, would take six or eight less talented athletes (who are dedicated, loyal, and football savy) over one pure athlete any day. Multiply that by the numbers of football players and you have a team full of warriors ready to lay it on the line for the general. That is not all that bad of a situation to be in. I am sure too that Trinity does compensate their coach reasonably well and that would allow them to "replace" Beatty with someone almost as capable with a little more ease. - Doug Beaumont Mr.Football