Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

WoodyJr

Suspended
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by WoodyJr

  1. By all accounts he's a TOP quality person. It just seems like he hasn't accomplished an incredible amount at BC ?? (1 playoff upset was it?) What little bit I watched it looked like over coaching. Perhaps others could critique my observation .. :sssh: If I was going to start a college program from scratch, I'm not so sure that a HS coach is where I'd start ?? Woody Jr
  2. Does he get a life jacket with that? Cause he's in over his head IMO Woody Jr
  3. I'm a little confused and amused by the number of various folks throwing cold water on someone noting a high turnout for football (not to pick on Jay;) ) Stick1 covered several nice points - all of which should be easily understood by those who follow HS football. I find it hard to believe there are more than a few oddball coaches(Duffy?) who would NOT want a high turnout of players for their team. Simple common sense leads one to realize that more to choose from can offer more talent, competition, flexibility, comraderie(sp?), replacements for injuries, friend/relatives of players supporting your program, etc, etc....... It's like a snowball rolling down a hill - ever increasing positives IMHO :thumb: The downside is .... uh, ........ what, you have to buy more jerseys & pre-game spaghetti dinners? Bravo Raceland :ylsuper: and all the other programs generating such involvement by their young people in this day & age when so many kids are more focused on the release date of the next PSP3:cry: Besides, in the end the scoreboard is not the primary measure of success - is it? P.S. Jay, I guessing Morgans success in the last 2 years is due more to the nice run of talented players (& perhaps coaches) than the numbers?? After all, I doubt that you had a whole lot MORE than 30 boys for the numerous years of less than stellar success before this ? Correct me if I'm off base:sssh: Woody Jr
  4. You mean like Midland Lee - 15,000 capacity + 3,000 on the hill ? or how about Permians - 19,300 with instant replay scoreboards ?? Must be tough to get players out down there huh??
  5. For an 18yo to enjoy being the center of attention is a fairly normal developmental phase, it's all the adults consumed with OJ's life & behave like "MayoManiacs" that are the ones behaving abnormally IMO. Woody Jr Yeah, it was a dumb article, the editor should never have let it run IMO. It was as if the interviewer was just a casual observer and didn't know enough about the whole environment & history to be able to ask pertinant questions. And why there was a coach, adult, or lawyer there to oversee answers seemed odd - I didn't think there's any legal issue hanging over him. This is a case where maybe HS/NCAA rules are a deterent to a student being able to hire someone (qualified that is) to watch out for his interests - since many of us have criticized OJ's current and/or past "advisors" :confused:
  6. One reason you often hear suggestions that an older coach from one state "might" be interested in a new job across the river in another state is that they can double-dip moneywi$e - retirement from the original state AND a paycheck from the job in the new state. It happens all the time around here ;) Just providing a little background Woody Jr
  7. Just curious. Not being there locally now, could you please explain the vote re; Lutz's actions? either here or PM Thanx, Woody Jr
  8. What are the odds that "Titans" is one of the choices ?:lol: Woody Jr
  9. Why would someone trying to start a college football program from scratch go with a HS coach rather than someone with college experience? Woody jr
  10. Thanx for the info. Any thoughts on the hiring process? Woody Jr
  11. Hey GiaT, When I heard the rumor while visiting last Fall, combined with the fact that we wouldn't be able to play them this coming year, it made sense. The posting about hiring coaches against his wishes doesn't seem to make sense. Last I remember, I thought Parker was also coaching on the sidelines with Lutz - someone could update me if different. I can see Lutz just stopping with no concern about his ranking on win lists, etc. If the Freshmen of last year were their next really good group that would give a new coach several years to refine them in his style. (though didn't our freshmen beat them?). I know the son following the father is a popular coaching story but I don't see it ths time. Snyder maybe, but they said the story there was he 's going into business. I can just envision the scene across the bridge. Football is life for so many over there. Power struggles and strong opinions are going to be the norm. It will be interesting to watch it play out. Woody Jr
  12. Hummmmm, theres a real nice guy there but maybe in over his head :sssh: Woody Jr
  13. Gosh, old habits die hard Woody Jr
  14. Well it would make sense. He's one of theirs, has college experience, it would be a good fit. Someone on here also mentioned that KCC is starting up a football program - Does Snyder have any connection with them? Woody Jr
  15. Are you saying a local HS coach is going to take this job? I'm surprised KCC is financially able to start football. Are they that well off $$wise? Woody Jr
  16. I understand - NO offense meant or taken 3 I kept it simple b/c many got mad over my critique of certain players last season Sometimes loyal fans and those close to programs have a difficult time realizing that great HS performances don't necessarily translate into those big Saturday afternoon games we see on TV. As mentioned, there are a LOT of factors affecting future athletic participation. Some have a life path in other than academic pursuits so that can inhibit college choices. Some prefer smaller settings or being close to home. I hope Blume lands in a good situation for him to get an education & continue playing football if that is what he desires. By all accounts he is a very hard working young man and a top quality person. Best wishes to young mr. Blume whatever he choses:thumb: cheers, Woody Jr
  17. Wow Even though we had heard the rumors when Ashland played them this past year it's hard to imagine coach Lutz leaving. I know folks around Kentucky will think that nothing compares to the programs at X and T, Highlands, etc. (sorry to leave a lot of great programs out). But I believe Ironton is truely one of the most unique places you'll find when it comes to HS football. Reading the book Friday Night Lights about Permian will give you some idea. Ironton is a small town with history back to the early days of pro football when the Ironton Tanks and Portsmouth (OH)Spartans played the other infant teams - many whom died out as the NFL began to grow into what it is today. BTW, Portsmouth (our neighbor 25 miles downstream) played the GB Packers in the very first "NFL Championship", and they later became the Detroit Lions. As was quoted in the linked article, theres nothing else to do in Ironton. Industries have basically died out and everyone lives for Friday night HS football - it's like the twilight zone. Even though the Tigers are a big rival for us (& unfortunately beat us regularly - but WE still schedule them every year!) I have gone to many, many games there just to enjoy great HS football. They have packed more than a couple thousand in there for big games and it's an incredible experience. Coach Lutz 's teams still line up in Woody Hayes' "Robust T" and dare you to try & stop it. Owen Hauck's Boone Co teams had nothing on Ironton's offensive execution:thumb: I believe you would get 100% agreement that Lutz got everything out of what he had on a more regular basis than anyone you've ever seen. It would be fun to do a psych profile of the guys applying for this position. :jump: While it's a great program, the pressure is going to be unimaginable for the person who steps in next. I'm guessing they will prefer someone with connections to the program and may defer to Lutz's recommendation but I would love to be a fly on the wall. While not ideal, he has given them enough time I believe to choose a coach rather than waiting until summer when an asst would likely be forced into the job. This is gonna be fun to watch Cheers, Woody Jr
  18. OK Rambler, here's my chance to ride you a little ;) Talk about getting richer, is there any school around that has gotten the number of experienced, top quality people as asst coaches, in multiple sports over the last year or two than those Rams of yours ?? I wish we had several of those guys. We could start with that big tall guy in your dugout I'm not sure if many people realize the guys that have come on board for Raceland lately. Cheers, Woody Jr
  19. Could you describe that ground ball to third, 4 to 1 double play a little more ? Woody Jr
  20. OMG he was the FB in front of Blume! I thought he had maybe the best game against Ashland last yr
  21. You could always put Johnson on the line so no one will get hurt trying to tackle that horse this year . Just trying to help ;) Woody Jr
  22. Since the UK coach just this week told the press that UK has submitted a "request" to host a regional - I would guess KHSAA hasnt known long. I don't even think it's been announced to the press???????? Woody Jr

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.