Everything posted by Hoopstars
-
8th Region Week 8 Review
Great work as always and rankings make sense to me. I’m personally not a big believer in SK. They can only win one way- lower scoring. Score gets above 55 and they are in serious trouble.
-
Spencer County 80 Grant County 74
Good catch. After I threw them in there I almost deleted it- his athleticism is unique but probably not gonna take over the game in sense of scoring. And my opinion why he doesn’t is a little bit of both- gaither teams do play a pretty conservative style.
-
Spencer County 80 Grant County 74
Fair take. Three differences between south and OC in my mind. First- schedules. South is way easier. Multiple gimmees. Records similar but how they got there not. Secondly- I’ve said a number of times regarding OC- new coach, new system, almost all new players. Huge learning curve and tremendous opportunity to improve. Most of this doesn’t apply to south or if it does to a lesser degree. Same coach. Same system. Lots of returners. Cake baked to a degree. Third- impact player who can take game over. OC has it. North has it. Collins. Grant. Owen etc. and south doesn’t. All the leads to OC getting a much greater benefit of doubt for me fwiw. That being said- I have to admit I was wrong and south is not as bad as I thought they would be. Regarding Doss- coincidentally almost everything I said about Oldham applies to Doss! Doss had Lex cat beat when they were winless and I think they just had desales down big and blew both games. New coach. New scheme. New players. Player who can take over. Oddly similar story to OC
-
Male 81 Scott County 37
It could level out but then you will end up with two good programs but most probably not elite. Something like an Oldham County- three programs- 2 usually pretty good each year. But that is far better than the Shelby County situation.
-
Male 81 Scott County 37
Scott County following in the footsteps of Shelby county. State power decimated following addition of newer school which gets all the talent.
-
Collins 58 Simon Kenton 54
A score and outcome a computer would have predicted in simulations. SK 1-6 when opponent scores 55 or more.
-
Oldham County vs. North Oldham Predictions/Updates
This is why you should never analyze and predict with your heart….
-
North Oldham 75 Oldham County 65
Called that.
-
Oldham County vs. North Oldham Predictions/Updates
Everyone can have their opinion. Switch the two to the other team and dallas plays exactly the same as max, just smaller. How do I know? Because Dallas was max his first three 3 years and max played differently last year when he had different personnel. The both look to shoot a bunch. They both play like a combo guard. I also think north wins. High single digits.
-
Grant County at Simon Kenton Predictions/Updates
In 4 of SK’s 5 losses they have given up 60 points. They haven’t given up more than 54 points in any win. Grant gets to 55-60 they probably win. I’ll say they do and win a big one on the road. Not short confident though!
-
Simon Kenton vs. Collins Predictions/Updates
This game is by far better than the Spencer-Grant matchup? That seems like a good one too. Odd that tomorrow the same 4 play against each other- just flipped…great two days of competition for all 4 teams!
-
Oldham County vs. Owen County Predictions/Updates
Dang. My interest level in this game just plummeted…
-
Oldham County vs. North Oldham Predictions/Updates
Oldham is probably E town or Danville Christian. And no, north is missing scales. Huge loss.
-
Henry County Classic Saturday 1/21/23
I’ll go with Grant Oldham, collins and south. In order of confidence if prediction, South, Grant, Collins, Oldham
-
6th Region Week 7 Review
Interesting that none of the top scorers are on the top rated teams…
-
Oldham County vs. North Oldham Predictions/Updates
I agree with your premise for pretty much every one who plays point- outside of a few. the game has changed and the traditional point is a dinosaur, unfortunately IMO and almost all 1s are combo guards which leads to more “clunky” play than a traditional point would produce. Dallas included. Without looking I assume Green and Dallas both lead their teams in shots taken. With green it’s probably out of necessity based on the personnel but time will tell- Dallas has always been a combo guard in my opinion- never a true point.
-
Grant County 71 Conner 44
Ashland is a nice win but can’t be as impressive as what Grant did to Connor or North’s multiple wins over really strong completion. Lot of love for Simon Kenton on this board but to me North, Collins, Owen and Grant resumes are way more impressive. Simon Kenton has losses to some very average teams and narrow wins over pretty weak teams. I think end of day SK is middle of pack in region. Good opportunities to prove me wrong coming up!
-
Oldham County vs. North Oldham Predictions/Updates
You are probably right that most people would say that. And Dallas is excellent, a proven winner and a great competitor. But- I’d take a 6’6 point over a 6’0 any day- assuming skill level comparable- which it is in this case. Certainly next level potential is by far and away in Greens favor. Doesn’t mean Dallas can’t get it done Friday….
-
Oldham County vs. North Oldham Predictions/Updates
I think north wins but wouldn’t shock me to see OC win based on the old rule of thumb that the team with the best player generally wins- which is Oldham in this case. Dallas has only beaten OC once in 7 (I think) tries and that was last years super ugly, burn the film OT game. Granted this OC team is different, but if things are tight North kids could begin to think about their year in year out lack of success vs OC. Both teams play zone so it will probably come down to 3s and who rebounds better.
-
8th Region Week 7 Review
It is fair to question grant- lost by a combined 41 to Owen and Collins on road. But very hard to “connect the dots” this year in HS hoops. Collins lost to anderson and struggled to beat south. Grant beat them both easily. Time will tell.
-
6th Region Week 7 Review
Nice work. Looks about right. Hard to get a good feel for PRP. Compared to the other top ranked teams their schedule is much much easier…
-
Ballard 80 Male 71 (LIT Final)
To your last comment- I can’t see how you could feel he gets the most of his talent unless he feel this years group isn’t very talented. they average 12/13 points a quarter in many big games? He has a D1 point guard and a 2 other guys with with offers from a top notch NAIA school.
-
Ballard 80 Male 71 (LIT Final)
Agreed- I said there are two basic philosophies. One coach type creates schemes designed to proactively win- basically maximize and unleash your talent and have faith that will lead to victory. These coaches tend to play faster. More free. Up tempo styles. These teams also tend to make more mistakes and take more questionable shots- but players have that freedom. The other philosophy- like a Szabo and many other successful coaches is to design that minimize the chance of losing- so you see a total opposite style of play. Slow. Methodical. Depend on physicality and toughness and less on skill. I personally prefer the first and I think it tends to get more out of players but the other philosophy works as well.
-
Ballard 80 Male 71 (LIT Final)
Big props to both these teams and coaches. Male- amazing job implementing a scheme that is tailored to the talent they have. Brutal schedule and found a way to compete. Willis- tremendous job in allowing his guys to make plays and have freedom and not over coach- stark difference from past IMO. Two styles of coaching- one develops a system to win- Willis and Haworth, the other is develop a system to not loose (IE Szabo). Both can work but the first is a better way to lead IMO.
-
Trinity 56 Saint Xavier 44 (Frosh)
Probably a more appealing game to watch than the varsity matchup from Friday. 25% shorter and more points…