Covington Catholic 14 St. Henry 6

The Good: The hitting! CovCath pounded out 19 hits today with Jake Lankheit hitting two HR (350 #1 365 #2).

The Bad: CovCath looked tired today and I guess they had a good reason as they had to get a field that was soaked in shape to play today. The kids had to be at the diamond at 11am and had to hang around until their game later in the afternoon and indeed they looked tired.

The Ugly: Some questionable play in the field today.

BAWAC Inc. Offensive Star of the game: Normally when you have a player who hits two HR's and adds a single, has 5 RBI's and scores 2 runs you would think he would be the Offensive Star of the game BUT..... Freshmen Grant Schreiver in his first varsity appearance goes 3 singles and a double (4/4) scores 3 runs knocks in 1 run and doesn't look like a freshmen at the plate one bit. His double was hit off the right field wall. Impressive day young Mr. Schreiver indeed..

Grubers Grill Defensive Star of the game: Nothing special today.....

PeeWee's Place Star of the game: Going with Jake Lankheit (see above for the reason why)

Edited by Theoldguy

CovCath Pitching

Fagel W (1-0) 77 pitches 18 PA 6 hits 4 runs 4 earned runs 1 walk 4 K's (1 looking) 1 HR and 2 wp

Mader 41 pitches 13 PA 3 hits 2 runs 1 earned run 2 walks

CovCath Hitting:

Reese 4 PA 2 runs scored 3 hits 1 rbi 1 walk and 1 sb

Shumate 1 PA 1 run scored 1 hit and 1 rbi

Best 5 PA 1 run scored 2 hits 1 K 1 sac 1 cs and 1 fc

Lankheit 4 PA 2 runs scored 1 hit 5 rbi's and 2 HR (350 #1 & 365 #2)

Robinson CR and 1 run scored

Lonneman 1 PA and K

Severson 5 PA 1 hit double and 3 Nutini (HBP)

Schneider 3 PA 2 runs scored 1 hit double 1 K and 1 fc

Maile 2 PA

Grosser 3 PA 1 rbi and reached base via E-4

Mader 1 PA and 1 rbi

Arnzen 3 PA 2 runs scored 1 hit double and 1 walk

Rolf 1 PA 1 K

Schreiver 4 PA 3 runs scored 4 hits double 1 rbi and 1 sb

Stein 3 PA 3 hits 2 rbi's

Robinson 1 K

40 PA 14 runs 13 singles 4 doubles 2 HR's 12 RBI's 2 Walks and 5 K's

Need to mention one play in the second inning that I just love to witness;

Arnzen doubles, man on second, no outs, Schreiver singles, then steal second base, no outs men on second and third, Stein at the plate and on a 0b1s count Steins lays down a beautiful squeeze bunt scoring Arnzen and while the pitcher tries to throw out Stein at first (Stein beats the throw and was safe) young Mr. Schreiver comes home sliding and beats the tag for a two RBI bunt single for Stein.

Outstanding bunt Sea Hawk, outstanding.

CovCath improves their record to 6-1 and has a busy week ahead of them playing Baseball, during the CovCath Spring Break! You reading this HHS fans?

Monday April 11th Holmes @ CovCath in a 35th District seeding game 5pm

Tuesday April 12th Hamilton Badin @ CovCath 5pm

Wednesday April 13th Ft. Thomas Highlands @ CovCath 5pm

Thursday April 14th Cooper @ CovCath 12noon yep 12 noon and I can't make it due to work

Friday April 15th Campbell County @ Campbell County 5pm

Saturday April 16th Doc Morris Wooden Bat Tourney teams times and location TBD

Sunday April 17th Doc Morris Wooden Bat Tourney teams times and location TBD

TOG, I think your defensive star of the game is Jake behind the plate. Didn't he throw out 3 runners trying to steal? He would have had a 4th at second if not for the mixup on who was covering the play. Jake has come a long way behind the plate in one year. Keep up the great work Jake!

TOG, I think your defensive star of the game is Jake behind the plate. Didn't he throw out 3 runners trying to steal? He would have had a 4th at second if not for the mixup on who was covering the play. Jake has come a long way behind the plate in one year. Keep up the great work Jake!

:thumb:

Won't disagree with your comment but honestly I except Jake to make those plays (I think he would agree with me) and indeed you are correct, he has improved immensely not only in his calling of the game but in his leadership on the field.

As long as the pitcher keeps a runner close and doesn't allow the runner to get a great jump, the catcher should throw out the runner. Remember I was a catcher and to me at least I thought I should throw everyone out and in fact was always happy when someone tried to steal on me.

To me, my picking a player for the defensive play of the game is a diving catch, a tag out at the plate on a great throw something that reaches out and grabs me during the game.

I will place a star in the box if I think it was an outstanding play and then decide which one to pick. Again to me at least there was nothing over the top to choose from on Sunday, and far too many brain dead plays and that is why the comment in the ugly.