January 18, 201214 yr But Vandy typically only plays 1 game in the tournament. That's just proof of how far he'll go to avoid it! :lol:
January 18, 201214 yr If I'm Cal, I'm mad that I don't get a single 5 day Saturday to Thursday break all season. Shut up and play Stallings. Not a bad counter arguement there.
January 18, 201214 yr Author How do you know that to be the case, I'm just curious? The Wednesday night conference games are played on the SEC Network. The Thursday night games are on ESPN or ESPN 2z
January 18, 201214 yr Fans have to wait another three-plus weeks before John Calipari brings his Kentucky Wildcats to Nashville for the first meeting between the SEC’s current co-leaders, a Feb. 11 tilt at Vanderbilt’s Memorial Gym that will feature a visit from ESPN GameDay. Vanderbilt Coach Kevin Stallings didn’t need to wait until then to address what could be construed as a little preferential treatment toward the ‘Cats. Stallings, whose team is preparing for a short Thursday-Saturday turnaround this week with games at Alabama and vs. Mississippi State, said today that it’s “not right” for Kentucky to receive a league schedule that lacks a Thursday-Saturday combo for the second consecutive season. And it’s not just that. The Wildcats benefit from Saturday games with four tired SEC opponents that are coming off Thursday night games – the most of any team in the league. “Go figure that one out for me, would you?” Stallings said. “We all agreed to do it, so if you have one like we have one, I’m not going to complain with the one that we have. To not have any and to be able to play four teams that have to do it to play you … that’s not right.” http://blogs.tennessean.com/vanderbilt/2012/01/17/kentucky-basketball-schedule-irks-vanderbilt-coach-kevin-stallings/ :cry: It sucks, I know it does. But if you want to a big boy and play on national television, sacrifices have to be made for your team and conference.
January 18, 201214 yr I think he has a legit point, however, I don't think it really has any impact on the games. It would be interesting to hear the reasoning for it though. My guess is it has something to do with ESPN wanting to showcase UK as much as possible. :idunno:
January 18, 201214 yr I think he has a legit point, however, I don't think it really has any impact on the games. It would be interesting to hear the reasoning for it though. My guess is it has something to do with ESPN wanting to showcase UK as much as possible. :idunno: Sure it does. And also it is giving Vanderbilt more national exposure. It is the SEC's fault (which Vandy is apart of) for jumping on board with ESPN. Think the Big East likes all there Saturday-Monday games? What kills is having the second game earlier in the day. If UK/Vandy were playing at 11:00 a.m., it would be a big detriment. That is what I feel killed UK two seasons ago when they lost. Not to mention UT was a good team and should have made it to the Final Four. Plus Vandy will be at home, not the other way around.
January 18, 201214 yr He needs to use the other angle. The NCAA tournament is 2 games in 3 days. Tell your kids that is what you're preparing for instead of complaining that someone else doesn't have to do it. Hell, sell them on the fact that you'll be more prepared in the NCAA tournament.
January 18, 201214 yr But Vandy typically only plays 1 game in the tournament. I was trying to make that point in jest
January 18, 201214 yr He needs to use the other angle. The NCAA tournament is 2 games in 3 days. Tell your kids that is what you're preparing for instead of complaining that someone else doesn't have to do it. Hell, sell them on the fact that you'll be more prepared in the NCAA tournament.In that case Vandy could take off on Saturday.
January 18, 201214 yr The Wednesday night conference games are played on the SEC Network. The Thursday night games are on ESPN or ESPN 2z Well that makes sense but still sounds like it's driven by the networks. What teams could UK have played on Thursdays that wouldn't have forced that team into playing 3 games within 5 days? Also I went back and looked at Auburns schedule they, have at least 3 days between each game from the start or SEC season until the end of the season, yet I haven't heard of Coach Stallings saying any thing about that?
January 20, 201214 yr So I looked into this a little more. Stallings is correct that UK does not have a Thursday-Saturday turnaround this season. They DO have a Thursday to Sunday turnaround though. They play Thursday 3/1 vs UGA, then travel to play Florida on Sunday 3/4. Florida will not have played since Tuesday 2/28, and have two extra days of rest coming into the final SEC regular season game. Playing on Sunday 3/4 will also give them one less day of rest than normal heading into the SEC tournament. With that said, here are the rest discrepancies for UK this year: 5 more days than opponent: 1 2 more days than opponent: 2 1 more day than opponent: 4 2 less days than opponent: 1 And Vandy for comparison: 4 more days than opponent: 1 2 more days than opponent: 1 1 more day than opponent: 1 1 day less than opponent: 5
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.