Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Pitino plans to quit in 2017

Featured Replies

^ Agreed. I'm very much against the idea as well. I think I speak for most Louisville fans when I say that a hire of the magnitude Pitino's own is the standard for future Louisville basketball hires.

  • Replies 30
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rick himself has said that Richard as a "coach in waiting" will never happen.

  • Author

So what is the story? It all just seems odds to me.

I don't find that any different than others "of a certain age" who are nearing retirement. And honestly, I don't see 6 years as that long away. And making it definite definitely is a boon for the program, as it allows the grooming/acquisition/transition of a new coach.

 

I like it. I think it's the perfect way to go.

 

The "coach in waiting" route is an absolute disaster. It will destroy recruiting as the time nears, and the hand picked successor is usually horrible. I think it is a great move by Pitino... :thumb:

Rick himself has said that Richard as a "coach in waiting" will never happen.

 

So does that mean that he really is the coach in waiting?:lol:

  • Author

It will be odd to think that if Rick does stay through 2017, he will have coached more than twice as long at UL than he did at UK.

The "coach in waiting" route is an absolute disaster. It will destroy recruiting as the time nears, and the hand picked successor is usually horrible. I think it is a great move by Pitino... :thumb:

 

This.

Well, for me (and I may be the only one), I simply don't see a downside to Pitino announcing he's planning on retiring. And it does kind of let the air out the perennial "Pitino won't be back after next year" I hear. So, we've got 6.5 more years....By then we'll know who is coming in. And again...I'm good with that.

^ I certainly don't have any issues with him announcing this, except that it was on the day when the football team was in a bowl game. That was in poor taste IMO. Other than that, I don't have a problem with Rick doing this. I don't believe him for a second, but if that's what he wants to say, then so be it. If I remember right, he used to say he would never coach beyond age sixty.

Rick Pitino is allergic to the truth!

 

I do not know how the issue of him not coaching after 2017 plays out, but Rick is the least forthright coach in history.

 

And you know what.....I still like him, but he is not to be trusted in what he says or does.

Doesn't really seem any different than Cal saying that he will not stay at UK more than ten years.

Here's something I find interesting that no one has mentioned yet....He didn't actually say he would coach until 2017, only that he won't go past his current contract. I take it to mean, "I'm not sure when I'm retiring, but it will definitely be no later than 2017."

Here's something I find interesting that no one has mentioned yet....He didn't actually say he would coach until 2017, only that he won't go past his current contract. I take it to mean, "I'm not sure when I'm retiring, but it will definitely be no later than 2017."

 

Good point

Who cares?????

Who cares?????

 

You cared enough to open the thread and post... :idunno:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.