Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Kentucky 87 UT-Chattanooga 62

Featured Replies

The question is will he truly accept that role this year, being a returning sophomore, which makes him a graybeard on Cal's teams. I'm guessing he has no intention of returning for a junior season, so his eyes are on the NBA and the upcoming payday. It is now or never for him, so will he be willing to sacrifice individual goals for the good of the team if he thinks it will hurt his draft stock.

 

Personally, I think Cal's track record has proven that buying into the team concept and playing the way he wants improves everyone's stock. But, will Jones see it that way?

Replace "Junior" with "Sophomore" and I think everyone thought the exact same thing last season as well. Problem for him is that Cal has shown he does not mind benching him, even in crucial moments. Last season he did not have much choice but to play him. He is as big of a reason as to why I do not see UK reaching the summit unless he comes to grip with his attitude and abilities.
The question is will he truly accept that role this year, being a returning sophomore, which makes him a graybeard on Cal's teams. I'm guessing he has no intention of returning for a junior season, so his eyes are on the NBA and the upcoming payday. It is now or never for him, so will he be willing to sacrifice individual goals for the good of the team if he thinks it will hurt his draft stock.

 

Personally, I think Cal's track record has proven that buying into the team concept and playing the way he wants improves everyone's stock. But, will Jones see it that way?

 

The problem is right now he's not playing well and improving his individual draft stock OR helping his team. He's just hurting both.

When Jones plays like he is a 4, he is great. When he plays like he is a 2, he stinks. Get down low, take it to the rim, hit the boards and play defense. If you want to mix in a couple 3 pointers a game, fine. Jones needs to watch tape of Patrick Patterson.

 

^

This.

I agree. As I stated, I think everyone benefits when the players buy into Cal's system. The question is whether Jones will see it that way. Will he believe sacrificing personal success for the team will actually boost his stock? It is the same reason that I thought Stacey Poole would have been better off staying at UK. He may post better numbers and get more minutes elsewhere, but I think staying at UK and contributing to one of Cal's teams would have boosted his NBA chances more.

 

I certainly thought Jones was gone last year, but the lockout impacted some decisions it seems. Calipari's pre-season comments about telling Jones not to come back if he isn't prepared to work hard and be a top 3 player in the country doesn't lead me to believe he has any thoughts of remaining another season.

 

Draft-wise, I think Jones made a mistake by not going last year. He can improve and still get drafted lower with what will likely be in the 2012 draft.

Ouch!!![ATTACH]35169[/ATTACH]

 

Like I said, they hurt, but you don't walk off of the court while your team is still playing defense.

IMO......Jones will never play in the NBA....if he is drafted, it will be in a late round....then he will not be tough enough to handle the pressure of pro basketball......

^That's insane....He'll be a first round pick whenever he decides to go to the league. Whether he is successful there, who knows, but he'll easily be a 1st rounder.

IMO......Jones will never play in the NBA....if he is drafted, it will be in a late round....then he will not be tough enough to handle the pressure of pro basketball......

 

I've love to make a hefty wager with you on that.

I've love to make a hefty wager with you on that.

 

Me to.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.