Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

All Time Biggest Upsets in State Title Games

Featured Replies

Obviously yesterdays Mayfield/Hazard game was a big one, what are some other big state title game upsets that cone to mind?

Trinity over a Shaun Alexander led Boone in 94'. I believe that was a 4-loss Rocks team.

Obviously yesterdays Mayfield/Hazard game was a big one, what are some other big state title game upsets that cone to mind?

 

A game all expected Mayfield to win yes but given the health of Mayfield after the Beechwood game all that really follow closely knew that this one would be tight and it was. Mayfield was down 2 offensive lineman, 1 defensive lineman, Jackson's knee injury and Scott with the pulled hammey. Not the same team that beat Beechwood.

Trinity over a Shaun Alexander led Boone in 94'. I believe that was a 4-loss Rocks team.

 

Not sure you can say any Trinity win was an upset. That was not meant as a bad thing.

Not sure you can say any Trinity win was an upset. That was not meant as a bad thing.

 

I don't think so either.

1984 2A final. 4 loss NewCath upends defending state champ Ft. Know 12-7, on a very late 4th quarter td pass/screen.

Trinity over a Shaun Alexander led Boone in 94'. I believe that was a 4-loss Rocks team.
We did have 4 losses. But I don't think that was much of an upset. We would've beat them more often that not.

I'm thinking '87, Shelby over Boone.....

1984 2A final. 4 loss NewCath upends defending state champ Ft. Know 12-7, on a very late 4th quarter td pass/screen.

 

Based on what I have heard from others, that is one I was thinking. I was too young to actually know then, but from what I have heard from several who got to see that game, I would agree.

Don't know if this one is in the all time category, but the '90 Class A title game with Russellville beating Bellevue 21-7 could be one. Bellevue had a very good team that year and after beating Beechwood, I cam remember many believing that was the title game that year, similar to the semifinal game between Mayfield and Beechwood last week.

Based on what I have heard from others, that is one I was thinking. I was too young to actually know then, but from what I have heard from several who got to see that game, I would agree.

 

It was a 12-7 final and NewCath had at least 3 turnovers.

I'm thinking '87, Shelby over Boone.....
Had played in last regular season game and I believe Boone won the regular season game 34-0

Trigg County came out of nowhere to upset Harrodsburg in the 1971 playoffs, then had to beat Richmond Madison in the semis. They beat 1A power Lynch at old Stoll Field to win their first state title. I don't think anyone saw that one coming.

 

Bourbon County (a #4 seed I believe) won the 1997 2A title.

Caldwell County over Danville in the 2A final in 1998.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.