November 21, 201114 yr I believe that Miller is the best player on this team right now. He's the calming force over these young players and that is a trend I see continuing throughout the year. Teague's play doesn't bother me too much right now. I think he has more pressure on him to perform than anyone else on this team. Some may argue, but following the footsteps of Rose, Evans, Wall, and Knight, there are some very high expectation on the young PG. When Coach Cal reigns him in and convinces him that he doesnt' have to be John Wall and Brandon Knight, and that he just needs to play as himself and let the game come to him...he's going to be tough. Granted UK should have won by a larger margin, but don't anything away from ODU, they are a tough team. I feel like Cal needs to get his big men to box out more. We dont' have a lot of strength down low, and while Davis an Company are very athletic, they need to do more than just react to the ball.
November 21, 201114 yr Miller, Lamb, Jones, Davis, and Kidd-Gilchrist need to start the next game and see what happens. Yeah there is no true point guard there, but our type of offense doesn't have to have a true point all the time. (hints Brandon Knight wasn't a true point).
November 21, 201114 yr Miller, Lamb, Jones, Davis, and Kidd-Gilchrist need to start the next game and see what happens. Yeah there is no true point guard there, but our type of offense doesn't have to have a true point all the time. (hints Brandon Knight wasn't a true point). It might need a true PG but it helps to have two guards. I see Miller coming off the bench simply because he seems to do well and can handle it.
November 21, 201114 yr Teague will be fine once he realizes he doesn't need to play like Wall, Knight, or Rose. He needs to be a facilitator, penetrater, and a passer. He'll learn that he needs to score when the baskets come easy.
November 21, 201114 yr I wish he would let Miller play some point forward type of minutes with Lamb...Darius is a natural passer and gets team mates involved...Lamb needs to score to play well. I think Teague will be fine, but I worry about his attitude...I don't know if he gets it like Wall and Knight did...time will tell!
November 21, 201114 yr You guys are forgetting that if you have Miller as the 2 guard it hurts UK defensively in a lot of games. He cannot guard most 2s.
November 21, 201114 yr I actually like Miller coming off the bench actually. Seems to fit him well and he can easily get into the rhythm of the game. I would like to see him get 30+ minutes a game though. So far Lamb has ran the point just fine.
November 21, 201114 yr :lol: I know Darius played well yesterday, and I know he's a KY kid, so everyone wants him to be the star, but this team has 6 guys that are more talented than Darius on the roster. He'll get 20-25 minutes a game most games, and that's what he should see. You can't just play a kid because he's a hometown kid and a senior. You have to play the most talented guys because more often than not, they give you the best chance to win.
November 21, 201114 yr I wish he would let Miller play some point forward type of minutes with Lamb...Darius is a natural passer and gets team mates involved...Lamb needs to score to play well. I think Teague will be fine, but I worry about his attitude...I don't know if he gets it like Wall and Knight did...time will tell! I don't worry about his attitude. I worry about his mustache.
November 21, 201114 yr I don't worry about his attitude. I worry about his mustache. No question. That thing is bad bad bad.
November 21, 201114 yr :lol: I know Darius played well yesterday, and I know he's a KY kid, so everyone wants him to be the star, but this team has 6 guys that are more talented than Darius on the roster. He'll get 20-25 minutes a game most games, and that's what he should see. You can't just play a kid because he's a hometown kid and a senior. You have to play the most talented guys because more often than not, they give you the best chance to win. If it wasn't for Darius yesterday, I wouldn't have been surprised if they lost. The Cats were a whole different team with him on the floor. I think we saw some of that in the Kansas game as well. He's like a calming force. The younger players looked lost against that zone. I don't fully agree with the bolded. I do think that experience can pay off a lot of times. Would I play five guys like Darius over the young studs? No. But for them to be successful, he will be a focal point throughout many of the games this year. I fully believe that, and I could care less about him being from Mason County.
November 21, 201114 yr ^If he was close to the talent level of the other guys at his positions, I'd probably agree with you, but he's not. MKG, Lamb, and Jones are all light years ahead of him in talent. You can't have him out there over those guys if all guys are healthy and foul trouble isn't an issue. As I said, Darius played a very good game yesterday and was a calming influence as you said. He's a very valuable part of this team, I agree. I think the 6th man role is perfect for him, but I don't see anyway he should be playing more minutes than Lamb, Jones, or MKG. I'm not the least bit surprised they struggled a bit. They haven't seen a zone yet, and as Cal said, he really hasn't practiced much on offense or plays yet so it was to be expected.
November 21, 201114 yr ^If he was close to the talent level of the other guys at his positions, I'd probably agree with you, but he's not. MKG, Lamb, and Jones are all light years ahead of him in talent. You can't have him out there over those guys if all guys are healthy and foul trouble isn't an issue. As I said, Darius played a very good game yesterday and was a calming influence as you said. He's a very valuable part of this team, I agree. I think the 6th man role is perfect for him, but I don't see anyway he should be playing more minutes than Lamb, Jones, or MKG. I'm not the least bit surprised they struggled a bit. They haven't seen a zone yet, and as Cal said, he really hasn't practiced much on offense or plays yet so it was to be expected. I enjoy him coming off the bench has well, I think its good for his game and he doesn't have to force things as much. While I agree that MKG, Lamb, and Jones are all better than Miller, I think Miller can put together all three of their games in one. The three studs are all great at a few things, Miller is good at all things.
November 21, 201114 yr ^I disagree. Miller is solid at everything, but so is Lamb (can't hold his size against him). MKG is a better passer, defender, handler, and rebounder than Miller. He also finishes better and is only slightly behind him in shooting IMO. Jones and Darius are completely different type of players, so I don't really feel a comparison between the two is accurate.
November 21, 201114 yr ^I disagree. Miller is solid at everything, but so is Lamb (can't hold his size against him). MKG is a better passer, defender, handler, and rebounder than Miller. He also finishes better and is only slightly behind him in shooting IMO. Jones and Darius are completely different type of players, so I don't really feel a comparison between the two is accurate. Lamb is my favorite player on the team, but he isn't the greatest at penetrating a defense, nor rebounding...both something that I think Miller is much better at than Lamb. They are both pretty even on defense I feel, maybe even giving the nod to Miller. Miller is a much better shooter, especially from deep than MKG in my opinion. MKG finishes stronger at the hoop, but I think Miller finishes better around the 5-7 foot range. MKG is definitely a better rebounder. Passing I think they are even. Agreed about Jones. I just through him in there, because Miller can rebound well. With saying all that. I love this team and the fact that we can even have the discussion. I'm very contect with Miller on the bench to start a game, but when its coming to the end and on the wire...I want Miller on the floor.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.