Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Jones on ESPN's Grantland

Featured Replies

  • Replies 31
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is what I said in the prediction thread.

 

After a lot of Matt Jones exposure I find him to be a pompous, blow-hard who is completely unlistenable. But, he does occasionally write a good piece like that.

I enjoyed it, as well as the UNC and Duke article. It's going to be a very fun year.

I've enjoyed the articles, though I think the UNC one gives the most concrete evidence/support as to why the Heels will win. Outside the talent argument (which is an argument UNC can make as well or better than UK), Jones doesn't offer what the UNC article did IMO on why the Cats will win it all.

 

A good read? Yes. Good support for his argument? No.

I thought he done pretty good with it. Not many more angles he could have taken I don't think.

I've enjoyed the articles, though I think the UNC one gives the most concrete evidence/support as to why the Heels will win. Outside the talent argument (which is an argument UNC can make as well or better than UK), Jones doesn't offer what the UNC article did IMO on why the Cats will win it all.

 

A good read? Yes. Good support for his argument? No.

 

I completely agree. I definitely enjoyed the read. He definitely knows his history and has quite a passion. I haven't gotten around to the other two articles yet, but I plan on it.

I've enjoyed the articles, though I think the UNC one gives the most concrete evidence/support as to why the Heels will win. Outside the talent argument (which is an argument UNC can make as well or better than UK), Jones doesn't offer what the UNC article did IMO on why the Cats will win it all.

 

A good read? Yes. Good support for his argument? No.

 

 

The UNC article convinced me that UNC will cut down the nets. Much to my dismay.

The UK article was a good one, but the UNC article spent way to much ink trashing Larry Drew. UNC will not win the title, no way. They have to many soft players that start with Henson.

The UNC article convinced me that UNC will cut down the nets. Much to my dismay.

 

The one weakness that I think might hurt UNC is perimeter shooting. Barnes is okay, but they really need freshman P.J. Hairston to provide that outside scoring threat. Down low, I'm not sure there's anybody who can match what they're bringing to the table in Zeller, McAdoo & to a lesser extent, Henson.

 

Like you, it pains me to acknowledge that the Heels are the favorite to win the title. There are certainly teams that can beat them, but they'll be the toughest out in March IMO.

The UK article was a good one, but the UNC article spent way to much ink trashing Larry Drew. UNC will not win the title, no way. They have to many soft players that start with Henson.

 

Considering the drama around the Larry Drew saga they probably could have devoted an entire article on Larry Drew.

 

The UNC article was more convincing than the UK article. That's for sure.

The one weakness that I think might hurt UNC is perimeter shooting. Barnes is okay, but they really need freshman P.J. Hairston to provide that outside scoring threat. Down low, I'm not sure there's anybody who can match what they're bringing to the table in Zeller, McAdoo & to a lesser extent, Henson.

 

Like you, it pains me to acknowledge that the Heels are the favorite to win the title. There are certainly teams that can beat them, but they'll be the toughest out in March IMO.

 

 

I worry how well oiled their machine will be by March.

We drew up a similar report on the current UK squad here in Louisville and filed it under "The Nightmare Scenario." The Cats are absolutely stacked.

 

As for Matt Jones, his first paragraph includes a butchered quote from a Supreme Court Justice -- and the wrong Supreme Court Justice at that -- and a crack at the personal life of the coach that led his beloved Cats to three Final Four appearances. Solid start... I can't believe I read the whole thing.

I enjoyed it, as well as the UNC and Duke article. It's going to be a very fun year.

 

I agree. I thought the previous articles offered a solid analysis in the midst of the humor. I totally agree with the point about UNC and Roy Williams needing a PG to make their system go.

 

I got a kick out of the comment in the Duke article that they'd be set up well if the baskets are raised to 15 feet, then his dad responds with, "Or if they lower them to six."

 

Good stuff.

Considering the drama around the Larry Drew saga they probably could have devoted an entire article on Larry Drew.

 

The UNC article was more convincing than the UK article. That's for sure.

 

My mistake, I thought each writer was supposed to give reasons why their team would win it all this season, not dwell on a has been, terrible point guard who quit the team last year. There certainly could be an entire article about LD, but that was not the place or format. If he was part of this year's squad, I could see some relevance. His mention could have been one sentence, but the writer dwelled way to long on Drew. Respectfully disagree about UNC's being more convincing. UK will beat UNC twice this year.

I read it and did laugh when he said you only know about us because of one horse race and fried chicken. He made a few decent points that often college hoops fan need reminding though. Winning a national title in college is as much about luck as it is talent and coaching, in a best of 1 game as opposed to best of 7 like in pro sports, any team can and will win.

 

Ouch that hurt complimenting Jones, oh well I guess this is my life now. It was a good piece though.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.