Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

When should stadium/gym chants by student sections be reigned in?

Featured Replies

I went to a basketball game and the opposing team chanted "27-14." Referring to the football score that, get this, they lost. They were happy to only lose by 13. I can remember a Highlands chant "We got big Cox" referring to Highlands center Marvin Cox at the time. And there were some pretty indecent NCC cheers.

Edited by littleluck55
typo

  • Replies 36
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unbelievable that a coach would do that.

Wow. Actions speak louder than words.....

If this needs to be in another forum I apologize but it relates to the chanting of the Manual student section this past Friday as well as some other incidents I have witnessed in recent years.

 

Since it seems that the "in" thing to do now is in unison chant some "witty" banter throughout ball games my question is when does it cross the line and need to be quashed?

 

At Trinity Friday night the Manual students at least twice began chanting I believe you are gay

 

A few years ago the Ballard students at a football game called out Trinity's QB by name and said he sucked, just like his father.

 

Even more years ago at an LIT basketball game a Ballard player made an impressive dunk over an opponent trying to take a charge. For most of the rest of the game every time that player touched the ball the Ballard student section chanted tea bag.

 

My question is when does this type of thing cross the line?

 

And before anyone says it I know kids will push the envelope and I don't blame them. I blame the adults that should IMVHO stop it. Trinity's students do it as well BUT at all games there are assigned faculty proctors that stop it quickly. If it is tacky enough I know students that have been given a detention for it.

 

It was Male in the 2009 playoff game. Unless there was one I missed and both did it.

  • Author
It was Male in the 2009 playoff game. Unless there was one I missed and both did it.

 

Ballard was first in the regular season game at their place, basically every time our offense was on the field. I had forgotten about Male.

That coach watches a little to much wrestling.

 

During high school games my sophomore year I got chanted at throughout the St. Henry game and was called "Swamp ___" (rhymes with pass). I think it preceded my junior year too. Senior year there was nothing because we dominated their team. It wasn't something that really bothered me, considering I played 3/4 of the JV game and then turned around and played 3/4 of the Varsity game, but I can tell you right now that my mother and several other parents were very upset with the Administration of the Crusaders for allowing the student section to personally attack a student athlete without reprimanding them.

 

To me, it just speaks a lot about the character of the individuals and the school. I've heard much worse and I'm sure it will continue to happen. From my experience, the players could really care less, its usually the opposing parents, or other adults trying to enjoy a game without all the deragatory chants.

To me, it just speaks a lot about the character of the individuals and the school. I've heard much worse and I'm sure it will continue to happen. From my experience, the players could really care less, its usually the opposing parents, or other adults trying to enjoy a game without all the deragatory chants.

 

I couldn't even remember a time during a game while I was playing that I could hear the students yelling. I could always hear the coach. While sitting on the bench I could hear but for some reason during a a game everything was tuned out. I agree it's probably the parents.

That coach watches a little to much wrestling.

 

During high school games my sophomore year I got chanted at throughout the St. Henry game and was called "Swamp ___" (rhymes with pass). I think it preceded my junior year too. Senior year there was nothing because we dominated their team. It wasn't something that really bothered me, considering I played 3/4 of the JV game and then turned around and played 3/4 of the Varsity game, but I can tell you right now that my mother and several other parents were very upset with the Administration of the Crusaders for allowing the student section to personally attack a student athlete without reprimanding them.

 

To me, it just speaks a lot about the character of the individuals and the school. I've heard much worse and I'm sure it will continue to happen. From my experience, the players could really care less, its usually the opposing parents, or other adults trying to enjoy a game without all the deragatory chants.

 

MJ-You did not mention how long ago this incident happened. Even though it did not bother you, as you obviously excelled on the court, it was wrong. These things usually do offend parents and other spectators. My experience the past 2 years at St Henry games is that there are at least 2 or 3 faculty members assigned to a game to patrol the student section--which is what needs to happen with every school.

MJ-You did not mention how long ago this incident happened. Even though it did not bother you, as you obviously excelled on the court, it was wrong. These things usually do offend parents and other spectators. My experience the past 2 years at St Henry games is that there are at least 2 or 3 faculty members assigned to a game to patrol the student section--which is what needs to happen with every school.

 

My apologies. I believe that it would have been the 2002-2003 school year.

 

Like I said, wasn't a huge deal to me and I think wouldn't to most players. My friends called me worse haha! But I thought it might add to the conversation.

It was not Male but another school in Trintiy's district. I was there.

How sensitive are we becoming? Seriously, a group of opposing fans chanting, "You suck" about a player is really considered offensive now? :lol: Like MJ said, the players don't really care or know it's even going on.

How sensitive are we becoming? Seriously, a group of opposing fans chanting, "You suck" about a player is really considered offensive now? :lol: Like MJ said, the players don't really care or know it's even going on.
Yes it is when it is directed towards a 15 year old girl from students with whom she used to go to school . With friends like that you don't - well you know the rest of the saying .

I would not allow any cheer attacking an opposing team, coach nor an opposing player by name or number. I know some people may think that takes away some of the fun, but I don't think so and that would be my rule. The CCH crazies have as much enthusiasm and fun as any student fan group I know of and I don't think I have ever heard them attack the opposing team or players like some of the cheers listed above. Get creative. You don't need to be negative or classless to support your team and have a good time doing it.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.