Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Would Highlands be a prohibitive favorite vs ????

Featured Replies

No disrespect, but, beating Elder won't be beating a national power, at least not this year. Outside of Trinity, I really don't think there are any Ky teams that could match up with the national powers(Top 100 teams) and even Trinity can't in most years.

 

I believe Elder just lost to Miami Central who is ranked in the top 20 by 4pts. That right there tells me that they are pretty good..

  • Replies 71
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
Beating Elder in the Pitt will be more of a feat than winning any game on their schedule IMO. You could send Highlands to Johnsonville, Bell Co, Bolwing Green or John Hardin and winning in the Pitt against that GCL team will be much more impressive.

 

I agree. It will be a tough task. Still doesn't make Elder a national power. Bell Co, BGreen and JHardin aren't national powers either.

 

Could Highlands beat Don Bosco, Aquinas, Prattville, S.Panola, Hoover, Trinity? Those are national powers.

I agree. It will be a tough task. Still doesn't make Elder a national power. Bell Co, BGreen and JHardin aren't national powers either.

 

Could Highlands beat Don Bosco, Aquinas, Prattville, S.Panola, Hoover, Trinity? Those are national powers.

 

I dont think Highlands will beat Elder....thats a lot different than beating JC, CCH or Boyle co. If they do.. it will be by less than a td...Elder will be the best team they play by far this year.. I dont care what there record is or how bad Trinity beat them. Elder will be challenged all year and make them a better team. Its a different animal across the river in the GCL.

The thing that scares me is the weak schedule the Birds have leading up to the game..Elder is challenged every week and the Birds starters will be out by halftime..

Its a different animal across the river in the GCL.
Well, that is what we are told on here every year.
Well, that is what we are told on here every year.

And it is true nearly every year.

  • Author

The GCL is one of the best football areas in the nation and has some very large private schools and public schools. The state of Ohio has numerous metro areas, as well, unlike Ky. I know Ky has barely 200+ hs football teams, whereas Ohio has over 800. Quite a difference. Plus, whereas Trinity and St X are large private schools in Ky, nearly doubling the average 6a schools boys enrollment, Ohio has numerous schools with equal size and several that are alot bigger. The depth of talented teams is the difference, but, they also have alot of smaller, weaker teams, too..

The GCL is one of the best football areas in the nation and has some very large private schools and public schools. The state of Ohio has numerous metro areas, as well, unlike Ky. I know Ky has barely 200+ hs football teams, whereas Ohio has over 800. Quite a difference. Plus, whereas Trinity and St X are large private schools in Ky, nearly doubling the average 6a schools boys enrollment, Ohio has numerous schools with equal size and several that are alot bigger. The depth of talented teams is the difference, but, they also have alot of smaller, weaker teams, too..

 

The GCL is only private schools. Elder, Moeller, St. Xavier, and LaSalle are the big ones. It also contains smaller schools like McNicholas, Roger Bacon, Alter, Badin, Purcell Merrian and a few others that I can't think of.

No disrespect, but, beating Elder won't be beating a national power, at least not this year. Outside of Trinity, I really don't think there are any Ky teams that could match up with the national powers(Top 100 teams) and even Trinity can't in most years.
In case you are unware Elder has lost to Trinity(KY 6a State champ) ST Eds (Ohio D1 State champs) And Miami Central (Florida 6a State champs). Being a national power is not a year to year thing Meaning cause Elder has some loses they are not a national power. You a become national power when yearly you are one of the best teams in your state reguardless of class as well as when you reach the title game or win state noumerous times in your state. Also when you do play out of state powers you are competative in those games. BTW Trinity & Highlands always in most years matched up with out of state teams.
  • Author
In case you are unware Elder has lost to Trinity(KY 6a State champ) ST Eds (Ohio D1 State champs) And Miami Central (Florida 6a State champs). Being a national power is not a year to year thing Meaning cause Elder has some loses they are not a national power. You a become national power when yearly you are one of the best teams in your state reguardless of class as well as when you reach the title game or win state noumerous times in your state. Also when you do play out of state powers you are competative in those games. BTW Trinity & Highlands always in most years matched up with out of state teams.

 

Wow, I didn't realize this years state championships had already been played. Let's look at what Highlands has done vs Ohio schools. Since 1998, they have played 12 games vs Ohio opposition and and have a combined 4-8 record with 3 of those 4 coming against Winthrow(twice) and Trotwood, with neither of these being close to as good as the GCL powerhouse teams. Against the better teams, they are a combined 1-8, being 0-4 vs Elder, 0-2 vs Colerain, 0-2 vs St Francis Desales and 1-0 vs St X. The St X win came in 2009, so, Highlands went from 1998 to 2009 before finally getting a win vs one of the Ohio power teams. If they matched up so well, wouldn't they be a little better than 1-8? Winning state championships and consistently being one of the top teams in Ky doesn't make you a national power. Doing it in Ohio, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Alabama, etc.. That makes you a national power. Plain and simple, Ky just doesn't produce the type football teams that can play with the big boys and Highlands is no exception to that. Yes, from time to time, they may get a W or 2, but, not consistently enough to claim national power status. Ky power, yes, national, no...

Don't forget that HHS has only been doing the two platoon system for the past two years..I believe the record would probably be a little different if this had been started a while ago..HHS would always get worn down in the second half.

  • Author
Don't forget that HHS has only been doing the two platoon system for the past two years..I believe the record would probably be a little different if this had been started a while ago..HHS would always get worn down in the second half.

 

Hey, Highlands has 20 state championships. They've been a Top Ky team for a long, long time. The 2 years of platooning may well make a difference in future matchups, but, that's yet to be determined. A national power doesn't happen in 2 yrs, so, based on what we do know, you have to say no as of now. Hopefully, that'll change.

Wow, I didn't realize this years state championships had already been played. Let's look at what Highlands has done vs Ohio schools. Since 1998, they have played 12 games vs Ohio opposition and and have a combined 4-8 record with 3 of those 4 coming against Winthrow(twice) and Trotwood, with neither of these being close to as good as the GCL powerhouse teams. Against the better teams, they are a combined 1-8, being 0-4 vs Elder, 0-2 vs Colerain, 0-2 vs St Francis Desales and 1-0 vs St X. The St X win came in 2009, so, Highlands went from 1998 to 2009 before finally getting a win vs one of the Ohio power teams. If they matched up so well, wouldn't they be a little better than 1-8? Winning state championships and consistently being one of the top teams in Ky doesn't make you a national power. Doing it in Ohio, Florida, Georgia, Texas, Alabama, etc.. That makes you a national power. Plain and simple, Ky just doesn't produce the type football teams that can play with the big boys and Highlands is no exception to that. Yes, from time to time, they may get a W or 2, but, not consistently enough to claim national power status. Ky power, yes, national, no...
Come on your are getting way off base. Did i need to say that they were last years state champs. I'm from Florida but now live in Louisville. I'm not a Highlands fan but I do root for them when they play out of state. I have alot of repect for them because they always believe they can win and they are well coached no matter how much talent they have. When they beat Cincy St X they reached national power status. I though there was no way they had a chance but they won. I simply give credit when it's due reguardless of the state a teams comes from. I'll be the first to tell you I love my home State Florida where there is some serious football along super speed. Having said that I still make sure when looking at other states football the i'm not bais in fact the state of ohio has had the toughest teams from top to bottom in the past 4 years.

I'm not really sure I know what this thread is even about anymore, but regarding the "national power" debate I'll give my two cents...

 

Being considered a national power in high school football is entirely in the eye of the beholder. I am unaware of a definitive source that officially decides who is/isn't a national power. UK fball fan has make his case for why HHS should not be considered a national power, and IMO it's a solid case he makes. However, I could just as easily point to the fact that Highlands currently ranks second in the nation in all-time wins, has played (and won) in the nation's premier prep football event (the Herbstreit Classic, in 2007), has been listed on multiple occasions in the official high school football national record book, and has been nationally ranked several times, including a third-place finish in the USA Today Super 25 back in 2009, and thus claim that HHS is in fact a national power based upon these accomplishments. I can have my opinion and UK fball fan can have his, and neither one is more correct than the other.

I think Highlands is 'nationally recognized' but not yet a 'national power'. I think in the coming years Highlands will become a 'national power' and not just 'nationally recognized'.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.