Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What should the Reds do over the winter?

Featured Replies

Since we can all agree that the Reds are done this year, I thought it would be a good idea to see what everyone thinks the Reds should do the rest of the season as far as call ups, and then what they do over the winter. Some of you have been critical of GM Walt Jocketty, so here is your chance to play GM, and show us how smart, or dumb you just may be.

  • Replies 55
  • Views 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

Some things to consider.

 

1. If Sappelt shows he can hit in the majors, do you name him the everyday LF, and lead off man.

2. Do you try to so sign Phillips to an extension. If you can't, do you pick up his option, and try to move him for some top prospects?

3. Try to move Ramon the next couple of weeks, and bring up Mesoraco, and let him play?

4. See if Alonso can play 3B in winter ball. If he can't, do you trade him?

5. Name Chapman as the closer?

6. Is Scott Rolen going to be healthy? Do you try to trade him, and go with Francisco who also seems to be injury prone? Put Alonso's bat into the lineup and live with his defense at 3B, or is the job Frazier's to lose?

6. Then comes the hard part. Trying to figure out what the rotation will look like next year. Do you try and sign Willis to a 2 or 3 year contract? That would be a big risk given his history. Is Volquez part of your future? If not, ( and I really think he is) what do you look for in a trade? Where does Travis Wood fit into your plans? I still think he has the stuff to a quality pitcher in the majors.

 

 

 

Alright all you young GM's out there. Let's see what you got.

1. Sappelt will probably have to be a .300 hitter to be really valuable, although anybody that has a knack of getting on base has value. If he proves himself as a viable leadoff hitter, he has the job.

 

2. I don't think Phillips is a $12M player. I would buy out the option and possibly offer him a two-year deal for around $16M, depending on what else is out there.

 

3. Don't deal Hernandez unless you get a player or two that have a legitimate chance to contribute. And if I was the Reds, I would still be interested in bringing him back to share time with Mesoraco, if Hernandez is inclined to accept that role.

 

4. If Alonso was capable of playing another position, he would have been put there from the time he turned pro. He is locked out of a spot, thanks to Votto, and is best used as a trade piece right now.

 

5. I wouldn't pick up Cordero's option, but I would still prefer to try Chapman as a starter.

 

6. I don't see another team taking a chance on Rolen. Frazier is the best bet to split time with Rolen.

 

7. Why would anyone throw two or three years at Willis, given his history? Cueto, Volquez, Leake, Bailey and Chapman are a good start and Arroyo probably can't be dealt. Wood has to work his way back. This is still a position of strength for the Reds, but there is no reason to sell low on Volquez and Wood.

 

The Reds have a few guys that are the foundation ... Votto, Bruce, Mesoraco and some of the pitchers. Stubbs isn't quite at that status, but he is a valuable player if asked not to play a key offensive role.

  • Author
1. Sappelt will probably have to be a .300 hitter to be really valuable, although anybody that has a knack of getting on base has value. If he proves himself as a viable leadoff hitter, he has the job.2. I don't think Phillips is a $12M player. I would buy out the option and possibly offer him a two-year deal for around $16M, depending on what else is out there.3. Don't deal Hernandez unless you get a player or two that have a legitimate chance to contribute. And if I was the Reds, I would still be interested in bringing him back to share time with Mesoraco, if Hernandez is inclined to accept that role.4. If Alonso was capable of playing another position, he would have been put there from the time he turned pro. He is locked out of a spot, thanks to Votto, and is best used as a trade piece right now. 5. I wouldn't pick up Cordero's option, but I would still prefer to try Chapman as a starter. 6. I don't see another team taking a chance on Rolen. Frazier is the best bet to split time with Rolen.7. Why would anyone throw two or three years at Willis, given his history? Cueto, Volquez, Leake, Bailey and Chapman are a good start and Arroyo probably can't be dealt. Wood has to work his way back. This is still a position of strength for the Reds, but there is no reason to sell low on Volquez and Wood.The Reds have a few guys that are the foundation ... Votto, Bruce, Mesoraco and some of the pitchers. Stubbs isn't quite at that status, but he is a valuable player if asked not to play a key offensive role.
Very good insight Westsider. If you bring Hernandez back what do you do with Hanigan? How much are you willing to spend to bring Cordero back? If Sappelt is a starter do you keep Heisey as a fourth outfielder or move him? Do you try and bring Willis back at all?

As good as Alonso has been so far in the majors, I think they have to keep him. Let him try 3rd. Put him in RF. He looks nasty at the plate and would be great insurance in the future in Votto cannot be maintained.

Very good insight Westsider. If you bring Hernandez back what do you do with Hanigan? How much are you willing to spend to bring Cordero back? If Sappelt is a starter do you keep Heisey as a fourth outfielder or move him? Do you try and bring Willis back at all?
A lot of things have to be determined in the next few weeks, like whether Willis is for real and the Sappelt/Heisey/Alonso situation.

 

The Reds next year have three positions that are uncertain ... left field, shortstop and third base. Unless Rolen retires, the latter has a $6.5M commitment.

 

There are some pieces that could be moved ... Sappelt, Heisey, Alonso, Hanigan, maybe a pitcher or two like Wood. You can package some of that to address the other positions. I don't know what the free agent list looks like, either.

As good as Alonso has been so far in the majors, I think they have to keep him. Let him try 3rd. Put him in RF. He looks nasty at the plate and would be great insurance in the future in Votto cannot be maintained.

 

If he can't play LF, he sure as heck can't play RF.

If he can't play LF, he sure as heck can't play RF.
No doubt. I think he's the best trade chip the Reds have to make a move for whatever their needs may be. Too early to make a guess as to what that is. I also would plan for the departure of Votto when his deal expires, however they plan on doing that. At this point, I think you have to showcase some of your pieces and plan for the future, as well as figure out who you can plug in on the cheap so to speak.

Who is the better all around player? Hanigan or Hernandez? Who is a more valuable trade chip? Who would you like to have spending time with Mesoraco and giving him advice?

Hernandez is clearly the better player. He's also more valuable, but I'd rather have Hanigan helping Mesoraco, not that I feel as if that even matters that much. The Reds won't even need either catcher once DM gets going. From what I've read, Mesoraco is as close to a lock to be a good player in the league as there is in any farm system.

As good as Alonso has been so far in the majors, I think they have to keep him. Let him try 3rd. Put him in RF. He looks nasty at the plate and would be great insurance in the future in Votto cannot be maintained.

 

3rd or RF? You're talking about two of the KEY defensive positions on the field and you want to put a bad defender there?

I'd make a hard decision on Votto. If I am correct, he has 2 years left on his contract. I start figuring out if he wants to be a Red long-term. If not, I move him while he's very valuable.

 

That decision also answers the Alonso issue. If you're keeping JV long-term you ship Alonso. If not, move JV and put Alonso at 1B for a few years.

I'd put Chapman in the rotation until he shows me he is not a starting pitcher.

I'd make a hard decision on Votto. If I am correct, he has 2 years left on his contract. I start figuring out if he wants to be a Red long-term. If not, I move him while he's very valuable.

 

That decision also answers the Alonso issue. If you're keeping JV long-term you ship Alonso. If not, move JV and put Alonso at 1B for a few years.

 

I agree with you. If Votto has no chance of staying past 2013 then he has to be moved. I hate it but it's a fact.

I'd make a hard decision on Votto. If I am correct, he has 2 years left on his contract. I start figuring out if he wants to be a Red long-term. If not, I move him while he's very valuable.

 

That decision also answers the Alonso issue. If you're keeping JV long-term you ship Alonso. If not, move JV and put Alonso at 1B for a few years.

This is why I'd keep Alonso, and try to find somewhere for him. He would be great insurance for Votto.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.