Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Purchasing A Laptop - Help

Featured Replies

I'm in the market for a new laptop. I want to spend around $1000 on it, and was wondering what you all would recommend. Any help is greatly appreciated.

  • Replies 54
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are you going to use it for?

  • Author
What are you going to use it for?

 

A little bit of everything. Mostly for school work, but I also play some games. I do some music editing as well. I multitask a lot, so I need something that can run several programs fluidly. Preferably anything with the i5 or i7 processor. 4 GB RAM or higher.

I'm a Toshiba man, myself. I've never had any other brand give me the performance and reliability. I have 10 in service at work and have never replaced any of them due to anything other than abuse. Can't say that for the Dells and HPs I've replace with them. My Satellite with a Pentium 133 in it, just died a couple of months ago.

 

I don't know the model # right off the top of my head, but my primary work machine is a Toshiba Satellite with an i7 on board. I paid $900 for it, about a year ago, and had the RAM bumped up to 8 gig, and upgraded to Win 7 Pro. It has exceeded my expectations. I don't do gaming, but I run multiple virtual machines (Server 2003, Win 7, and XP), usually Outlook and Excel, and 5 or six terminal server sessions on it all at the same time, and you could not tell, if you didn't know it.

 

I'm on my Macbook right now, but I wouldn't recommend it for all you want to do, especially the gaming.

  • Author
I'm a Toshiba man, myself. I've never had any other brand give me the performance and reliability. I have 10 in service at work and have never replaced any of them due to anything other than abuse. Can't say that for the Dells and HPs I've replace with them. My Satellite with a Pentium 133 in it, just died a couple of months ago.

 

I don't know the model # right off the top of my head, but my primary work machine is a Toshiba Satellite with an i7 on board. I paid $900 for it, about a year ago, and had the RAM bumped up to 8 gig, and upgraded to Win 7 Pro. It has exceeded my expectations. I don't do gaming, but I run multiple virtual machines (Server 2003, Win 7, and XP), usually Outlook and Excel, and 5 or six terminal server sessions on it all at the same time, and you could not tell, if you didn't know it.

 

I'm on my Macbook right now, but I wouldn't recommend it for all you want to do, especially the gaming.

 

Is this the one?

 

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/947319/Toshiba-Satellite-A665-S5183X-Laptop-Computer/;jsessionid=0000HszJM3jVPoX5tyYZTwD8jZM:13ddq0u44?cm_mmc=Mercent-_-Shopping-_-Computers_and_Servers-_-947319

Go with a Mac man. Kinda different if you haven't used on before, but so much less hassle IMO.

Mac..

 

Yup. I beg you BleedBlue please go with a Mac even if it cost just a little bit more.

Why a Mac? What do you all like about it? Does it play nice with windows programs for school? If you have to email a word or excel type of document, how do you do that with a Mac?

Why a Mac? What do you all like about it? Does it play nice with windows programs for school? If you have to email a word or excel type of document, how do you do that with a Mac?

 

Everything is the same after you get used to it. Just alot less hassle. Now they get viruses, but it is alot harder for them to get them. I think they are faster as well, but that isn't based on anything other than my opinion. I just think once you go Mac you never go back.

 

That's pretty much it, short 2 GB of RAM. The nVidia GeForce video with it's own 1 GB dedicated memory helps tremendously.

 

That's a pretty good price, too, given what DDR3 RAM runs, or ran last time I priced it.

Why a Mac? What do you all like about it? Does it play nice with windows programs for school? If you have to email a word or excel type of document, how do you do that with a Mac?

 

Macs run Word, Excel,Powerpoint, etc. You can even send files from a Mac to a PC and vice versa. I've had no problems whatsoever.

Macs run Word, Excel,Powerpoint, etc. You can even send files from a Mac to a PC and vice versa. I've had no problems whatsoever.

 

I've never once had a file that I couldn't open on my Mac because it was from a PC. My MacBook is my most prized possession. I literally have a crush on it.

Macs run Word, Excel,Powerpoint, etc. You can even send files from a Mac to a PC and vice versa. I've had no problems whatsoever.

 

I have talked with a couple of people today and they say they would be asking questions about connectability in the college setting using a Mac. One person who is in technology actually said he wouldn't recommend a Mac for someone in college. Not that he has researched it but he would have some reservations. I know people who have Mac's and they love them so I can't say I have ever heard a negative comment about Mac's. But I think BleedBlue should research the college campus aspect if he is going to consider a Mac. Most large colleges have their own technology center. I would get in touch with them and see what they suggest. The caveat I would have there is Dell has college campuses wrapped up so ask them questions about why if they start pushing Dell. It may be that they are just more familiar with Dell and that is why they are pushing it. I think that Toshiba Satellite unit Swamprat mentioned sounds like a strong option for BleedBlue.

I have talked with a couple of people today and they say they would be asking questions about connectability in the college setting using a Mac. One person who is in technology actually said he wouldn't recommend a Mac for someone in college. Not that he has researched it but he would have some reservations. I know people who have Mac's and they love them so I can't say I have ever heard a negative comment about Mac's. But I think BleedBlue should research the college campus aspect if he is going to consider a Mac. Most large colleges have their own technology center. I would get in touch with them and see what they suggest.

 

For the record I'm on UK's campus and I've had no issues at all. 4 of my roommates have MacBooks and they also never have issues.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.