Purchasing A Laptop - Help

BleedBlue12

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything is the same after you get used to it. Just alot less hassle. Now they get viruses, but it is alot harder for them to get them. I think they are faster as well, but that isn't based on anything other than my opinion. I just think once you go Mac you never go back.

How is the bolded possible? Not too long ago on here we had a debate (not you, I use "we" in general), and people were swearing Macs couldn't get viruses...Color me confused on this one. :confused:

How is the bolded possible? Not too long ago on here we had a debate (not you, I use "we" in general), and people were swearing Macs couldn't get viruses...Color me confused on this one. :confused:

They've always been able to get viruses, there just aren't that many out there that effect Macs. I don't know if the number of viruses for Macs out there are increasing or not, but they've never been "not able to get a virus."

They've always been able to get viruses, there just aren't that many out there that effect Macs. I don't know if the number of viruses for Macs out there are increasing or not, but they've never been "not able to get a virus."

Believe me I know. Talking to a lot of Mac owners and trying to explain that to them is like talking to a wall though. They swear up and down that Macs can't get viruses, when in reality they can and the more popular they become the easier it will be for them to get.

Believe me I know. Talking to a lot of Mac owners and trying to explain that to them is like talking to a wall though. They swear up and down that Macs can't get viruses, when in reality they can and the more popular they become the easier it will be for them to get.

Some Mac users are ridiculous, I agree. You just have to talk to the ones that have some sense :D

Some Mac users are ridiculous, I agree. You just have to talk to the ones that have some sense :D

In all honesty, it's the users that have given me my distain for Macs. I've known some that have used them and not had good experiences with them, but most love them. I don't doubt for one second they are of a very high quality, but the constant "worship" like attitude most Mac users have towards them is disgusting.

For me the price of the Mac is impractical for what I use my laptop for. I surf the net, use email, and Microsoft Office. I don't need to spend $1000+ to accomplish those things.

For the record I'm on UK's campus and I've had no issues at all. 4 of my roommates have MacBooks and they also never have issues.

Good feedback. Thanks for sharing.

How about the multiple programming running at the same time that BleedBlue mentioned as one of his usage factors? Why did you choose MacBook? The more details, the better.

It is really hard to make one for a Mac but there are a few out there. From what I understand, you really have to mess up to get a virus on them.

Good feedback. Thanks for sharing.

How about the multiple programming running at the same time that BleedBlue mentioned as one of his usage factors? Why did you choose MacBook? The more details, the better.

Multiple programs does not cause any traffic or slow my computer down at all. The small things are what makes the difference in the MacBook. The main thing I love is the trackpad on Macbooks. You can do everything with the pad, where you're limited with a PC. Just navigating a Mac (with some time and practice) is 10 times easier than navigating on a PC. The bridges between other Apple products and the features they have are also attractive to me, like the remote. I can touch more on this later but I have to get to work.

I've got a Toshiba PC laptop I got at wal-mart 2 years ago and never had a single problem with it. My wife also has a Mac desktop and it's really neat, but I'm still learning it. I get frustratred with technology though so it also makes me mad:lol: I also have my iPhone 4g and my iPad2 that I both love. I don't think you can go wrong with Toshiba or a Mac!

My girlfriend has a Mac, so learning how to use one wouldn't really be an issue. I've used one plenty of times, and I agree they are probably the most reliable computers out there. However, I have never attempted gaming on it. How do Macs do with games such as COD? Another issue I have with the Macs is price. I can probably afford the cheapest Mac available (still a great computer) but it has a very small screen size. I watch a lot of movies on my laptop in addition to playing games. I prefer nothing smaller than a 15" screen. As much as I would LOVE to have a MacBook Pro, it is not really an option for me at this point. I will own one in the future because they truly are great computers. For now though, I have to stick with PC for my intents and purposes. I'm also not sure how a Mac would work with my engineering programs such as Aspen. I should have mentioned that earlier.

That's pretty much it, short 2 GB of RAM. The nVidia GeForce video with it's own 1 GB dedicated memory helps tremendously.

That's a pretty good price, too, given what DDR3 RAM runs, or ran last time I priced it.

Any issues with overheating? That's what did in my current laptop, due to what is apparently a flawed design.

Any issues with overheating? That's what did in my current laptop, due to what is apparently a flawed design.

Sounds like you have a HP with an AMD processor. I've had a lot of problems with HPs of that sort overheating. AMDs generally run hotter than Intel processors.

Mine is Satellite A505 and I'm using it primarily as a desktop. It's connected to a docking station and 2 external monitors, and it runs 24/7. I've had it over a year and have had no problems of any kind and it still runs circles around my Macbook.

mydesktop.jpg

Sounds like you have a HP with an AMD processor. I've had a lot of problems with HPs of that sort overheating. AMDs generally run hotter than Intel processors.

Mine is Satellite A505 and I'm using primarily as a desktop. It's connected to a docking station and 2 external monitors, and it runs 24/7. I've had it over a year and have had no problems of any kind and it still runs circles around my Macbook.

:lol: Actually I'm using an HP with AMD right now (my mom's) to look for new laptops. It is getting pretty hot. But my laptop is a Gateway with the i3 processor. It's gotten to the point where it won't run for more than a few minutes before overheating and shutting down. I'm strongly considering the Toshiba I posted earlier because of your recommendation. You seem to know quite a bit more about these things than I do.