Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Smash Mouth Football

Featured Replies

Every season, some of our more Nothern friends ask why their eastern friends refer to their style of football as "Smash Mouth". Admitadly, we in the east have not been successful at discribing what we mean by the term, as we see it as a phylosiphy more then a term. It almost seems that some take it as an insult when one person refers to their team as "Smash Mouth", not the way I think it was intended.

 

So, I have found some National coverage of the style we call "Smash Mouth". Enjoy.

 

Smash Mouth Football

By David Fleming

Page 2

 

Unable to claw his way any closer to Carolina quarterback Jake Delhomme, Atlanta defensive end Patrick Kerney used a teammate for a stepping stool and simply hurled himself, like a rabid dog attempting to snap his yard chain, at a wall of Panthers blockers. In midair he was bent backwards, flipped, kicked, elbowed and then driven, headfirst, into the turf. When he landed, Kerney yanked off his helmet as if it were filled with yellow jackets and hurled it across the field before falling into a heap near midfield where he stayed, writhing in intense pain, for what seemed like several agonizing minutes.

 

Link

 

 

 

Broncos 'love smash-mouth style of football'

 

ESPN's Kirk Herbstreit says it and opponents know it: Broncos are bringing it hard and fast.

 

BY CHADD CRIPE - [email protected]

 

"They are aggressive. They'll pin their ears back and they will attack you. É They love this smash-mouth style of football in the trenches and getting very aggressive."

 

 

 

 

 

What is Smashmouth Football and why does it still work 40 years later?

The Smashmouth principle is remarkably crude, you simply run the ball up the guts and force them to deal with it. The moment they double up the defense count to handle the pressure, you attack the gap that they have left by using the extra resource. The effect in Rugby is rather like getting one of their players yellow carded without having to get the Ref involved. This simple strategy won the 2006 Superbowl for the Pittsburgh Steelers. It has also played out well for the Pretoria Bulls. Its as close as you will get in rugby at the moment, but the Bulls Offense lacks structure and speed.

 

Link

  • Replies 33
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ram, I think Raceland has gotten away from the "smash mouth" philosophy and become a finesse' type team. JMO

  • Author
Ram, I think Raceland has gotten away from the "smash mouth" philosophy and become a finesse' type team. JMO

 

I prefer just a "football team". I know we are not "smash mouth", but I don't think we are "finesse" either. Just a "football team" works well for me.

I prefer just a "football team". I know we are not "smash mouth", but I don't think we are "finesse" either. Just a "football team" works well for me.

 

I sure hope we come together and become a football team. I am tired of all the drama of the past 2 years.

I believe the term was created prior to the addition of the facemask, when football was "smash mouth". I would say that is all anyone played regardless of actual style of play. Now it is used more to describe a team that is "tough" and likes to hit or team that runs a "throwback" offense. Just my take.

I believe the term was created prior to the addition of the facemask, when football was "smash mouth". I would say that is all anyone played regardless of actual style of play. Now it is used more to describe a team that is "tough" and likes to hit or team that runs a "throwback" offense. Just my take.

 

I agree..I always considered smash mouth football was a team that was physical and ran the ball 3 yards and a cloud of dust!

When I think of a smashmouth team a few things come to mind:

1. Power set on offense- I formation, Power I, Wishbone, T formation, maybe even Wing-T.

2. Having a bread and butter run play (like an Off-tackle Power) that the coach doesn't care to call on 3rd and long or 4 & 5.

3. Maybe some option.

4. One old coach on the sideline that says everytime an incomplete pass is thrown, "Only 3 things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad!"

5. Fans yelling "Pass the ball!!!" every time a run play only gets a yard or two.

 

For colleges, Stanford under Harbaugh was about as smashmouth as it gets these days I think. It was pretty cool to watch, I hope the new coach continues that style of ball. If I had a team I would want them to be "bad" enough to run one or two run plays (power and counter-gt) all game. I'd want to even tell the defense which side we were running too :lol:.

I think that smash mouth football is the best kind of football to watch. It resembles the old school sytle of football and makes me think of Jim Brown, Jim Thorpe, and Red Grange and how tough these guys really were.

 

I do like watching some spread offenses run, but my preference will always be smash mouth football.

Don't matter what kind of offense you run, Smashmouth has to do with your team philosophy, the way its coached, the way your team plays, if your team flys around, plays physical, then it is smashmouth, I seen some teams that were all finesse and throw it every down on offense then go over on defense and knock your head off, so I would say that they are smashmouth......

Don't matter what kind of offense you run, Smashmouth has to do with your team philosophy, the way its coached, the way your team plays, if your team flys around, plays physical, then it is smashmouth, I seen some teams that were all finesse and throw it every down on offense then go over on defense and knock your head off, so I would say that they are smashmouth......

 

Go Watch the Harlan Co. Black Bears play and Coach Tom Larkey will let you see 1st hand what Smashmouth Football is all about.

When I think of a smashmouth team a few things come to mind:

1. Power set on offense- I formation, Power I, Wishbone, T formation, maybe even Wing-T.

2. Having a bread and butter run play (like an Off-tackle Power) that the coach doesn't care to call on 3rd and long or 4 & 5.

3. Maybe some option.

4. One old coach on the sideline that says everytime an incomplete pass is thrown, "Only 3 things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad!"

5. Fans yelling "Pass the ball!!!" every time a run play only gets a yard or two.

For colleges, Stanford under Harbaugh was about as smashmouth as it gets these days I think. It was pretty cool to watch, I hope the new coach continues that style of ball. If I had a team I would want them to be "bad" enough to run one or two run plays (power and counter-gt) all game. I'd want to even tell the defense which side we were running too :lol:.

 

Hmmmmm this sounds familiar.

When I think of a smashmouth team a few things come to mind:

1. Power set on offense- I formation, Power I, Wishbone, T formation, maybe even Wing-T.

2. Having a bread and butter run play (like an Off-tackle Power) that the coach doesn't care to call on 3rd and long or 4 & 5.

3. Maybe some option.

4. One old coach on the sideline that says everytime an incomplete pass is thrown, "Only 3 things can happen when you throw the ball and two of them are bad!"

5. Fans yelling "Pass the ball!!!" every time a run play only gets a yard or two.

 

For colleges, Stanford under Harbaugh was about as smashmouth as it gets these days I think. It was pretty cool to watch, I hope the new coach continues that style of ball. If I had a team I would want them to be "bad" enough to run one or two run plays (power and counter-gt) all game. I'd want to even tell the defense which side we were running too :lol:.

 

 

Pretty accurate on the 1st part.

 

2nd part and a close second would be Wisconsin.

I sure hope we come together and become a football team. I am tired of all the drama of the past 2 years.

 

Care to explain the Drama? Just Curious..

I prefer just a "football team". I know we are not "smash mouth", but I don't think we are "finesse" either. Just a "football team" works well for me.
Absolutely!! A win is a win. As long as at the end of the game our team has a more points than the opponet is winning football and thats what matters! :thumb:.

I will say that if given the choice I prefer smash mouth football. I just love to watch my team run the football down an opponets throat, even telling them where the play is going and them laying there "panacked" and helpless to do a thing to stop it.

 

I sure hope we come together and become a football team. I am tired of all the drama of the past 2 years.

 

Amen Doc :thumb:! All that complaining and whining does two things...it destroys a football team and will no doubt get a team beat quicker than anything. You can mark that down !

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.