Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

What would be your all time Duke team.

Featured Replies

I forgot about Trajan Langdon.

 

If you go back and look at his numbers I'm sure they're up there. Anyone that get's that awesome of a nickname is deserving of some recognition in my opinion. That was back in the 90's when the Great Alaskan Shootout was a pretty big tourney early in the season. Perhaps him and guys like Wojo make the Duke C team.

  • Replies 42
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fully realizing it's like arguing over supermodels I'd take the pure PG on a true all-star team including taking the all-time NCAA assist leader.

 

Absolutely. Can't lose with either. They are both Jersey boys also. As is Kyrie Irving.

If you go back and look at his numbers I'm sure they're up there. Anyone that get's that awesome of a nickname is deserving of some recognition in my opinion. That was back in the 90's when the Great Alaskan Shootout was a pretty big tourney early in the season. Perhaps him and guys like Wojo make the Duke C team.

 

Plus he is from Alaska. I do remember that tourney though.

If you go back and look at his numbers I'm sure they're up there. Anyone that get's that awesome of a nickname is deserving of some recognition in my opinion. That was back in the 90's when the Great Alaskan Shootout was a pretty big tourney early in the season. Perhaps him and guys like Wojo make the Duke C team.

 

And to think the C Team would have guys like Wojo, Luol Deng, William Avery, Shelden Williams, Corey Maggette and others on it. Cherokee Parks.

I think the Bobby Hurley vs. Jay Williams debate is a good one. Hurley was the ultimate PG. Williams was the ultimate scoring PG in his prime. If it is pure cohesion, Hurley is the guy.

Another variable to the debate is the fact that Hurley wasn't the best payer on his team while Williams was.

Now now calm down everyone... Look at this from a college stand point and be objective. Everyone knows you hate Duke and so do I because as a UNC fan, we are their real rival. Now back to the point of this thread. If you had to pick the best starting 5, who would you pick?

 

5. Laettner - not a true center, but a great college post player.

4. Brand

3. Grant Hill - if I had to pick a favorite Duke player, he would be it. Always respected Hill.

2. JJ Redick - Did he ever miss a 3?

1. I went with Jay Williams, but Hurley would be 1A.

 

JJ Redick-Yeah he missed three's when it mattered, which was the NCAA tournament. However I still would have him in the starting 5 for Duke.

Guys I think this thread goes back to the youth vs. age debate again. :lol:

 

I think there is no way Mike Gminski is not on a Duke team somewhere. Same with Johnny Dawkins. I haven't even touched the great ones "before my time" such as Art Heyman, Marin, Vega, Jeff Mullins or Dick Groat. Heck, even Gene Banks seems to be a forgotten soul among the so called passionate Duke fans on here.

 

There is one thing to be said maybe for many UK fans: They seem to be willing to talk about the All Time greats beyond their life spans more readily than Duke fans here.

 

Just an observation from the box seats with Statler and Waldorf. :thumb:

I am going

 

1. Jason Williams

2. JJ Redick

3. Grant Hill

4. Shane Battier

5. Christian Laettner

 

Bench:

 

Johnny Dawkins

Elton Brand

Carlos Boozer

Mike Dunleavy

Danny Ferry

Kyrie Irving

Bobby Hurley

 

I have to have a bench as well. I can't just name 5.

 

This would be my starting 5. The only tough decision for me is the 4 spot...I'd go with Battier over Brand or Boozer.

 

And, just for fun for those of us who don't like Duke, who would be your all-time most hated Duke lineup...

 

1 - Steve Wojciechowski

2 - Thomas Hill

3 - Shane Battier

4 - Christian Laettner

5 - Cherokee Parks

Guys I think this thread goes back to the youth vs. age debate again. :lol:

 

I think there is no way Mike Gminski is not on a Duke team somewhere. Same with Johnny Dawkins. I haven't even touched the great ones "before my time" such as Art Heyman, Marin, Vega, Jeff Mullins or Dick Groat. Heck, even Gene Banks seems to be a forgotten soul among the so called passionate Duke fans on here.

 

There is one thing to be said maybe for many UK fans: They seem to be willing to talk about the All Time greats beyond their life spans more readily than Duke fans here.

 

Just an observation from the box seats with Statler and Waldorf. :thumb:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

If you go to the 'How old are to thread' in the General Discussion thread you'll find that the largest age groups on BGP were over 50 and 21-30. If you poll the 21-30 UK fans you'll find less of Sam Bowie, Jack Givens, Pat Riley and Kyle Macy and more Antoine Walker, Tony Delk, Tayshaun Prince, Jamal Mashburn. If you poll the 50 and over then it will be vice versa. There are way more UK fans who were alive and watching Rupp's Runts but none of us Duke fans on here were paying attention to college basketball or not even born when Coach K was hired. I am quite sure if our older posters make a Duke all time team then Mike Gminski, Art Heyman, Dick Groat and others will be recognized. I am one of those fans of sports who really can't relate to things I didn't see and I have made that clear in the Best NBA players thread.

 

Long story short....the reason most UK fans are more willing to talk about UK's All Time Greats is because most of you were there. You also have a more storied history than Duke as well. You racked up 3 of your 7 titles before segregation.:D

 

Couldn't resist.

 

Your post implies that UK fans come out of the womb with complete knowledge of UK's All Time Greats when we all know that is far from the truth. It is definitely a young vs old debate but the original thread asked for 'your' Duke top 5 and being an admitted non historian of sports.... if I didn't see it I can't relate.....so no one before Johnny Dawkins will be on my list. JJ Redick is one of the few on my team without a ring. That has to factor in as well as age when it comes to putting an All Time Duke team together.

  • Author
I think the Bobby Hurley vs. Jay Williams debate is a good one. Hurley was the ultimate PG. Williams was the ultimate scoring PG in his prime. If it is pure cohesion, Hurley is the guy.

 

You are correct. I would change my starting 5 with Hurley in it, because he would keep all those stars happy. He would probably average 15 assists a game...

You are correct. I would change my starting 5 with Hurley in it, because he would keep all those stars happy. He would probably average 15 assists a game...

 

at least.....

What about their 2 stars on the 1978 team that was runner-up to UK? I think their names were Mike Giminski and Gene Banks. They were very good if memory serves me correctly.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.