Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Anthony Hickey Named Mr. Basketball

Featured Replies

Spiderman! Congratulations and what great memories we will all have of his tourney this season.

  • Replies 32
  • Views 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is great. Post season should be included. He deserves this award. I have seen in the past where it went to a particular player just because of where he had committed to play college ball. Congrats to Anthony. You earned it, and deserve it.

Congratulations but w/o a doubt his Sweet Sixteen performance changed a lot of peoples votes as it should have. He had a very special tourney.

  • Author

I think I'm going to have to go the other direction. I think the Sweet 16 MVP award should be given to the best player in the tournament. Mr. Basketball should be given to the best player in the state based on the entire season's performance. Just my opinion...

I think I'm going to have to go the other direction. I think the Sweet 16 MVP award should be given to the best player in the tournament. Mr. Basketball should be given to the best player in the state based on the entire season's performance. Just my opinion...

 

Would Hickey still not be worthy?

  • Author

He's worthy, but he isn't the best player in the state.

He's worthy, but he isn't the best player in the state.

 

I can respect that. Would you go with Behanan? If so, should their performance as well as their team's performance against Eastern be a fair barometer?

  • Author
I can respect that. Would you go with Behanan? If so, should their performance as well as their team's performance against Eastern be a fair barometer?

 

I'd go with Behanan because I think he's individually the best player in the state. I don't think any one game or any one tournament is a fair barmeter - I think the award should be based on the entire season.

 

Hickey was the best player on a really good team. Behanan was the best player on a team that didn't get past Warren Central.

 

I'm not downing Hickey by any means. I watched him in Lexington and he is an outstanding talent. I just feel like the Mr. Basketball award has turned into the Sweet 16 MVP award.

 

I don't think Hickey is a bad choice at all - I just personally feel like Behanan is a better choice. Behanan is a McDonald's All-American and second team PARADE All-American.

I'd go with Behanan because I think he's individually the best player in the state. I don't think any one game or any one tournament is a fair barmeter - I think the award should be based on the entire season.

 

Hickey was the best player on a really good team. Behanan was the best player on a team that didn't get past Warren Central.

 

I'm not downing Hickey by any means. I watched him in Lexington and he is an outstanding talent. I just feel like the Mr. Basketball award has turned into the Sweet 16 MVP award.

 

I don't think Hickey is a bad choice at all - I just personally feel like Behanan is a better choice. Behanan is a McDonald's All-American and second team PARADE All-American.

 

Yeah he was a McDonald's All-American but second team was a stretch for me.

  • Author
Yeah he was a McDonald's All-American but second team was a stretch for me.

 

I can agree with that but I still think there's no doubt that he's the top player in Kentucky.

I'd go with Behanan because I think he's individually the best player in the state. I don't think any one game or any one tournament is a fair barmeter - I think the award should be based on the entire season.

 

Hickey was the best player on a really good team. Behanan was the best player on a team that didn't get past Warren Central.

 

I'm not downing Hickey by any means. I watched him in Lexington and he is an outstanding talent. I just feel like the Mr. Basketball award has turned into the Sweet 16 MVP award.

 

I don't think Hickey is a bad choice at all - I just personally feel like Behanan is a better choice. Behanan is a McDonald's All-American and second team PARADE All-American.

 

I don't take it as you downing Hickey. Just interested in your opinion. As a BG grad I obviously would not be mad had Behanan gotten it. I never got to see Behanan play but Boyle played Christian County this year and Hickey was his usual awesome self...29 points in 17 minutes and a stat stuffing game for him as he exchanged pleasantries with my avatar that evening. He was easily the best player we faced and that I saw all year but like I said I never got a chance to see Behanan. I definitely understand where you are coming from.

 

FWIW, I saw GRC, Trinity, CovCath, Dixie, Eastern and quite a few others and Hickey, Fant, Shanklin, Gaines, Woods and Abell were all some of the best players that I saw this year. Fant really impressed me as he seemed to improve a lot from last year. I wish I could have seen Behanan. He is obviously one amazing player. I almost went to the 4th region final but decided to stay close to home to see who would win the 12th region. Regretting that decision now.

I don't take it as you downing Hickey. Just interested in your opinion. As a BG grad I obviously would not be mad had Behanan gotten it. I never got to see Behanan play but Boyle played Christian County this year and Hickey was his usual awesome self...29 points in 17 minutes and a stat stuffing game for him as he exchanged pleasantries with my avatar that evening. He was easily the best player we faced and that I saw all year but like I said I never got a chance to see Behanan. I definitely understand where you are coming from.

 

FWIW, I saw GRC, Trinity, CovCath, Dixie, Eastern and quite a few others and Hickey, Fant, Shanklin, Gaines, Woods and Abell were all some of the best players that I saw this year. Fant really impressed me as he seemed to improve a lot from last year. I wish I could have seen Behanan. He is obviously one amazing player. I almost went to the 4th region final but decided to stay close to home to see who would win the 12th region. Regretting that decision now.

 

 

Yeah, you missed some real classics. Chane was a monster. My only knock on him is that he had significant turnovers that ultimately proved to be deciding factors in both the postseason games. I think he turned it over on Bowling Green's final possession of regulation and two overtimes in the district championship when they could have held for the final shot, and of course threw the ball away on their last possession down two in the region final. But no doubt, best player in the state.

I wish I could have seen him play live. I hope he signs with a big name and I can watch him in college. Look at Shelvin Mack and what he has done at Butler. I can see Hickey doing something similar.

I was lucky enough to get to see most of them play, including Behanan. Hickey dominated the 4 games I watched at some point during the game, Behanan dominated at times but turned it over A LOT.

Congratulations to Mr. Hickey and to his proud father! Every year there are several ways that this award can go but, only one player can win it and since I joined Bluegrass Preps back in the day the voters have never gotten it right according to the posters. It's really good for the state, we have several worthy candidates and it's always the cause for good friendly debating. I can't wait to see some of the talent that I saw playing at Rupp during the tourney take on Indiana in the All-Star game here in Indianapolis!!!!!!!!

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.