A.P. Kentucky All State Team

Please. This list has no credibility to me.

Ryan Taylor being Honorable Mention is a joke! Kentucky hardly produces college talent, and it's even more rare that it ends up at a school like Louisville.

Where's Arman Marks (Eastern, James Madison), Zach Price (Jeffersontown, Louisville)? Vinny Zollo (Clark County, Western Kentucky)? Marcellus Barksdale (Tates Creek, IUPUI)? Kevin Shaw (Seneca,??)?

They'd eat the lunches of almost any of the honorable mention candidates.

I grew up in the 13th and have never heard of the kid from Whitley Co. Roberts was widely regarded as the third best player on his team behind Hooker and Mitchell. Madon was good and made history at Bell Co, but he'd struggle to start for some of the top Louisville/Lexington programs. Very good high school players... yes; but, better that some of the other players they were selected over??????

There are plenty of players I've omitted too. Think Treg Setty - Mason County, Southern Illinois; Cory Rogers - George Rogers Clark; Tamron Manning - Scott County, Quinten Snider - Ballard, Derek Willis - Bullitt East, or any of the really good bigs in the Northern Kentucky area like Geisler, Thelen, etc.

Heck, I'm starting to think that, top to bottom, you could find a collection of players who weren't selected that are better than the ones who were. And to think, these names were off the top of my head.

Just another good representation of N Ky basketball:isurrender: Jake Giesler D2 POY in N Ky, Kellen Smith D1 POY in N Ky, Jake Thelen leading scorer in N Ky and not even an Honorable Mention in the group:confused:

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just another good representation of N Ky basketball:isurrender: Jake Giesler D2 POY in N Ky, Kellen Smith D1 POY in N Ky, Jake Thelen leading scorer in N Ky and not even an Honorable Mention in the group:confused:

Our #1 player out of the 10th didn't make it either, Cory Rogers, and he also made the All state team from the Sweet 16.

It was not just a Northern Ky thing, lots of good names left off IMO.

A few more names: DeOndre McWhorter - Moore, Jermaine Jackson - Iroquois, Jordan Shanklin - Warren Central, Josh Forrest - Paducah Tilghman, Devon Rowan - North Oldham, Brandon Hatton - Dixie Heights, Taylor Barnette - Lexington Christian, Scott Schuette - Lexington Catholic.

Looking through the names, it seems like this was a really 'up' year for Kentucky's basketball talent. Tough job for any committee to pick from so many names, and didn't wanna bash anyone selected, because they are all good players. There were certainly some names I expected to see on there that were omitted though.

Shanklin is on the list as an honorable mention. I was disappointed he wasn't he wasn't on one of the first two teams, but there are some tough guys ahead of him.

For the record, Kameron Woods (Eastern), Ryan Fucci (Tates Creek), and Taylor Martin (Lexington Catholic) are three players that I definitely felt were deserving. Look at what Butler is doing in the NCAA right now, and if Kentucky is sending 'Honorable Mention' talent to that program, then we're producing tons of talent. The last gem Butler found in Kentucky was a guy named Shelvin Mack. He's not turned out so bad for them.

Also, does anyone have an update on Shaw of Seneca? I saw him last year against Scott County (matched up with Guyn) and thought he held his own for the most part. Really good player, whom I understand has a younger brother that is a big part of what Trinity has for next year. Are any schools looking at him as of right now?

I believe the younger Shaw you are talking about goes to St.. X.

I ought to just save this next bit to a draft, since I trot it out several times a year:

Media outlets that subscribe to the AP wire service are the only ones eligible to vote for the AP All-State team (as well as weekly rankings). Generally, only media outlets in the larger cities (Somerset, E'town, Hoptown, places like that) are subscribers, because the service is expensive.

Newspapers make up the largest bloc of AP voters. In this era of shrinking newspaper budgets, reporters (the ones casting the votes) really only see the teams in their immediate area, and as a result, that's generally who they vote for. At some places, those reporters are pressured to cast "homer" votes for local kids.

I believe the younger Shaw you are talking about goes to St.. X.

Ah. Thanks for the correction. I knew that he had a younger brother that most thought was a promising player at one of the big privates in Louisville.

Was really impressed with what I saw from Seneca last year? Do you have any updates on Kevin Shaw or Martez Harris? Both could really play.

If this is an up year, I hope we never have a down year. It looks like a pair of easy wins for Indiana again this year.

Sorry to beat a dead horse to death, but this is comparing apples to oranges really.

In 2009, Indiana's population was ~6.42 million; by contrast, Kentucky's 2009 population was ~4.31 million. Roughly speaking, for every two natives of Kentucky, there are three natives of Indiana.

Even though our class is 'up' by our standards if you're considering the talent we're putting into the college ranks, but Indiana happens to be having even more of an 'up' year.

This year, they'll have four McDonald's All-American's in: Marquis Teague (Kentucky), Cody Zeller (Indiana), Branden Dawson (Michigan State), and Marshall Plumlee (Duke).

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/prospects/_/class/2011/state/in

I think its somewhat of an anomaly that this year, they have 10 players who are going to BCS conferences, plus one going to Butler.

It doesn't hurt that in ESPN's ratings, they have the #8,#12, and #20 overall players in their class either.

It isn't like this is just an average year for them either.

Our #1 player out of the 10th didn't make it either, Cory Rogers, and he also made the All state team from the Sweet 16.

It was not just a Northern Ky thing, lots of good names left off IMO.

Are you referring to KABC P.O.Y.? If so that voting is not always a true indicator of anything. I read that All-Sweet 16 team was determined by when you lost in tourney.

Are you referring to KABC P.O.Y.? If so that voting is not always a true indicator of anything. I read that All-Sweet 16 team was determined by when you lost in tourney.

I am refering to the POY voted on by the coaches in the 10th region. Believe that is a very good indicator. On the state all-tourney team.....To my knowledge you had to win one game to qualify(which I don't agree with) then if your team lost and you had a player selected they were announced after that game. Cory's stats were very good for the 2 games he played and deserved to make all tourney team.