Boys 2011 10th region draw

Small schools in the area vote for Mason Co to have the tournament because of the money they get out of it if they're in it. I can't blame them but it is a home court advantage for Mason Co and everyone knows that . If you don't believe in a home court advantage , just ask John Calipari.

Teams get money for even if the region is at Mont Co, or anywhere else.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't true that when the region is at Mason they pay out to all the schools in the region and not just the ones that make it to the tournament. I am sure that I have read that on here from the Mason fans as one the reasons it should be in Mason. And if I remember this did not happen at Montgomery or the BOK where only the schools that made the region received money. If so, they in effect buy the votes of the smaller schools that rarely make the regional.

Isn't true that when the region is at Mason they pay out to all the schools in the region and not just the ones that make it to the tournament. I am sure that I have read that on here from the Mason fans as one the reasons it should be in Mason. And if I remember this did not happen at Montgomery or the BOK where only the schools that made the region received money. If so, they in effect buy the votes of the smaller schools that rarely make the regional.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I would like to know how much money the 10th Region tournament roughly makes at the Fieldhouse. Are we talking six figures over the 4 days? If that's anywhere near close and each team in the region gets a cut regardless of whether or not they made it, that's like 5,000 dollars to each school.

That's a lot of money, especially for the smaller schools.

I like this Draw,You have the 2 best teams in region in the bottom bracket(Scott and Clark) and the top has the best overall parity as all the teams are almost even..Should be a fun weekend..

Not according to Cantrall's ranking the regions. Here is his rankings of the 10th:

10th REGION

1. Clark County 82.9

2. Mason County 75.3

3. Scott 71.5

4. Campbell County 69.2

5. Montgomery County 66.7

6. Pendleton County 63.6

7. Harrison County 60.3

8. Augusta 47.1

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/02/28/1651808/high-school-boys-basketball-dave.html#ixzz1FFW7Ej00

I would like to know how much money the 10th Region tournament roughly makes at the Fieldhouse. Are we talking six figures over the 4 days? If that's anywhere near close and each team in the region gets a cut regardless of whether or not they made it, that's like 5,000 dollars to each school.

That's a lot of money, especially for the smaller schools.

If that's the case, that is a lot of money for any school these days.

Checking back in several of the posts from 2009 and 2010 it's stated by some that IMO I consider to be reliable posters that from 2000-2007 almost without exception the participating schools received $5000 per team and that the nonparticipating schools also received some money because the region was so profitable at Mason. I do not believe that the non-participating schools received any money from the tournament at Montgomery or BOK. IF this is correct it is easy to understand why the smaller schools and those who know they rarely make the region to vote to have it at Mason every chance they get. But that doesn't mean that this profit sharing is not buying their votes and loyalty to The Fieldhouse. But then again it could be The Fieldhouse popcorn that so many on here are so in love with that buys their loyalty.

But seriously you can't blame the schools if this is correct because everyone's budget is pinched these days and it is a nice and dependable source of revenue. Is the solution to see if the other venues can do the same? Probably not. Is the solution to do as the SEC does with bowl revenue? In their case all the revenue from all the bowl games is added together and doled out by shares to all schools. Schools that participate and the SEC office are given more shares but all the non-partiicipating schools still get at least one share. So even UK got bowl revenue all those years that they did not go to a bowl. Maybe, but then this would be a cut to schools such as Mason, Montgomery, GRC, etc. that have a reasonable chance to go to region most years.

How do other regions handle the profits if any? My guess is that this is one of the few regions to turn a profit which does say how well Mason has generally run the region all these years. If Mason does give money to all schools, how did this come about? Was Mason just being generous or did the other schools all of a sudden notice that Mason was sittlng on a large bundle of cash every year and they started doling it out to appease the other schools or was it decded by all the schools as a fair way to handle the profits or some other reason?

All regional tournaments on the boys side draw profits that are pretty darn nice. Girls tourney's tend to make money but itis minimal amounts.

A typical year for a 10th region tourney financially runs something like:

Each participating school is capped at a 5,000 check.

each non particpating school receives a share of what is left. This usually ranges in the 500-750.00 dollar range.

Now compare that to 9th region checks. IN some years past schools that particpate were getting around 2,500 to 3,000.

So the 10th has always been a bigger money maker than the 9th to my knowledge when it comes to the revenue it generates.

However ALL regional tourneys make money

I know that but there is no penalty for the team that cancels without a good excuse. Just seems to happen to much.

The game was originally canceled because of snow. Kenton county schools were in session with delay, and other games were played in the area that night but Clark must have had worse weather so the game was canceled. It was rescheduled, and not sure why it was canceled the second time...Scott had no issues and as far as i know preparing to play.

Thanks for the link, fascinating to look at. In 2007 at the Fieldhouse and 2009 when held at the BOK each participating 10th region team got a little over 4,000.

No difference.

What's funny is that in 2007 roughly 42,000 was reported in ticket sales, in 2009, it was roughly 52 thousand dollars in ticket sales. The extra money went to the BOK to hold the event.

Thanks mcraycraft for the links. Really good to see how strong high school basketball is in KY and that all regions are profitable. It was interesting to see how the money is divided in different ways from region to region. Some give to all schools, some only to participating teams and a lot give extra shares for each game you advance. Some of the regional champs really made off with a nice chunk of money for winning.