Ray Allen breaks the NBA 3-pointer record

The Celts have 2 players in the record books regarding the 3 point shot. Allen joined which former C who was credited with the first ever successful 3 point try in the NBA?

I honestly have no idea. I'm not even sure what year the NBA went to the 3 pointer, but I'm going to go with Larry Legend.

I honestly have no idea. I'm not even sure what year the NBA went to the 3 pointer, but I'm going to go with Larry Legend.

I think it was the beginning of the 1979/80 . However, it was not the Rookie. Fine, fine guess though.

This is one of those "you either know it or you don't" because it's not a former superstar. Role player but one that you will know.

Congrats to him, I enjoy the NBA more now that there are more teams loading up.

But how irrelevant are the other teams now. The gap in talent between the powerhouse teams and the average teams is getting a bit ridiculous.

West - Lakers, Spurs, Oklahoma City, Mavs

East - Celtics, Heat, Chicago, Orlando, and maybe I'll throw in Atlanta.

Who else has even a chance to compete? I think I'm being generous by even putting down Chicago, Orlando, and Atlanta, because frankly I don't think any of them have much of a shot at an Easten Conference trophy.

Reggie and Ray have very similar career stats... But Ray is slightly better in most categories (3P%, MPG, PPG, RPG, APG, FT%,).

The kicker comes here: It took Reggie Miller 18 seasons and 1,389 games to reach his mark. It took Ray Allen 15 seasons and 1,022 games to break it. If Allen had stayed healthy for the majority of his career, he realistically could've broke the record in only 12 seasons. :scared:

On that note, though, if I'm giving a plus to Ray because of how many fewer games it took him to hit the mark I have to give it up to Reggie because of his durability and health throughout his career.

Reggie played 1,389 of a possible 1,476 games.

Ray has played 1,022 of a possible 1,230 games.

If Ray plays as long as Reggie did, this record will be so far out of reach... He's the last player I can think of who has shooting ability, but also a well rounded enough game in other aspects to justify the playing time he's getting to reach that mark. Kyle Korver's a great shooter, but his game suffers too much in other areas for him to ever come close to playing enough minutes and getting enough shots.