February 29, 201214 yr I'd guess UCLA is back on the ropes with Bazz after this hits tomorrow... SPORTSbyBROOKS » UCLA Confirms SI Exposé on Player Drug Use
February 29, 201214 yr I'd guess UCLA is back on the ropes with Bazz after this hits tomorrow... SPORTSbyBROOKS » UCLA Confirms SI Exposé on Player Drug Use Wow
February 29, 201214 yr I'd guess UCLA is back on the ropes with Bazz after this hits tomorrow... SPORTSbyBROOKS » UCLA Confirms SI Exposé on Player Drug Use Is this the Dorhmann article I heard about today?
February 29, 201214 yr Word is Nerlens has dropped Florida and Providence (if they were ever seriously considered).
February 29, 201214 yr Word is Nerlens has dropped Florida and Providence (if they were ever seriously considered). Who does that leave other than UK & Cuse?
February 29, 201214 yr Author Who does that leave other than UK & Cuse? Georgetown and UConn....Although I can't imagine him seriously considering UConn with the NCAA tournament ban...
February 29, 201214 yr Georgetown and UConn....Although I can't imagine him seriously considering UConn with the NCAA tournament ban... If he considers himself a one-and-done then I'd say UConn is out. He says he wants to somewhere where he can play right away AND play for a championship.
February 29, 201214 yr Who does that leave other than UK & Cuse? "Nerlens Noel has narrowed his list to Kentucky, Georgetown, Syracuse, UConn, and North Carolina" from KSR, who got it from Scout.com But I think it will probably be between UK and Syracuse. At least that's what it seems like we've been hearing the whole time.
February 29, 201214 yr I like our chances, especially if Cuse is going to have the crowded front court next year that I think they will.
February 29, 201214 yr I'd guess UCLA is back on the ropes with Bazz after this hits tomorrow... SPORTSbyBROOKS » UCLA Confirms SI Exposé on Player Drug Use Here is the article. Partying, players disrespecting program led to problems at UCLA - SI.com - Magazine
February 29, 201214 yr In an era in which coaches spend considerale time managing athletes with inflated egos, Howland assembled a mostly selfless group. The players were also mature beyond their years, a vital attribute given that Howland was neither a nurturer nor a player's coach. Other than during practices and games, he had little contact with his athletes, according to players. He showed up moments before a workout began and was gone before players paired off to shoot free throws at the end. Several team members say that his approach was how they imagined an NBA coach would run a team. The task of indoctrinating a new player - such as Westbrook, another unranked recruit, who enrolled in 2006 - fell to the veterans. It was a team of prefects, the protectors of the UCLA dynamic, who looked out for each other, making sure that no one got into trouble, that no one threatened what they were trying to accomplish or what UCLA has always been about. They were a tight group. If they went out, to the movies or a party, they were 15 strong. That kind of camaraderie is not unusual on good teams, but Howland's former players say he had very little to do with instilling it. He focused on basketball strategy, not team building. Each of the players who spoke to SI said they found Howland socially awkward and disapproved of the verbal abuse they say he directed at his staff, the student managers and the weakest players. One player said if he saw Howland waiting for the elevator he would take the stairs. The players were puzzled by some of their coach's idiosyncrasies. Howland seemed obsessed with the temperature in the film room. If it was not exactly 76 degrees a student manager was certain to feel Howland's wrath. The water bottles handed to him had to be just cold enough and not too large. He occasionally kicked players out of pre-game walk-throughs held in hotel ballrooms if the players weren't executing properly. Two players recall being tossed, on different occasions, for failing to get low enough on defense even though they were wearing jeans that constricted their movements. In a game during the 2007-2008 season, several players on the bench noted Howland's frustration with the shot selection of Westbrook, whose freelancing had resulted in several baskets. But rather than substituting for him, Howland informed one of the officials that Westbrook was wearing socks bearing an NBA logo, which violated NCAA uniform guidelines. Howland told the official he had an obligation to remove Westbrook from the game because of his socks. The official claimed to be unaware of the rule and let play continue.
February 29, 201214 yr Not exactly the bombshell I was expecting but still doesn't make Howland look very good.
February 29, 201214 yr Ben Roberts @NextCats Shabazz Muhammad's dad tells ESPN: "UCLA is going to have to get control of that program if they’re going to go forward."
March 1, 201214 yr Author Who said it? "Only Duke and UNC decide who they want to recruit. Kentucky is starting to, but they aren't there yet." I guess 3 straight #1 recruiting classes isn't convincing enough....
March 1, 201214 yr Who said it? "Only Duke and UNC decide who they want to recruit. Kentucky is starting to, but they aren't there yet." I guess 3 straight #1 recruiting classes isn't convincing enough.... Cowherd?
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.