Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Football Blowout Etiquette

Featured Replies

It seems each week there is someone upset by how their team was treated in a blowout game. Of course there are gray areas to be discussed, but here are my rules for how to handle a blowout win:

 

1. Until you get to the running clock or the last 5 minutes of a game, anything goes.

 

2. Once you get to the running clock, the team that is winning by 45+ should pull their first team offense.

 

3. Winning team's first team defense can stay on field to maintain 45 point lead and protect second team from getting beat on by losing team's first team. First team D can stay on field until the losing team pulls its first team offense.

 

4. Winning team up by 45+ should have backups running basic offense with no trick plays and no long passes.

 

If teams follow these rules, we should see no problems with teams claiming poor sportsmanship.

Hee are my thoughts.

 

If I am getting beat by bad it isn't the other teams job to stop themselves. It is my job.

 

I think anything goes until the clock starts running. Once the clock starts running I think the winning coach should start subbing. If they keep there starters in on Defense & special teams I am okay with it.

I agree with 2,3,4. 1 is a little vague. If a team is up 42-0 with 5 min left, anything goes? I think a coach can show good/poor leadership and representation of his team based on these circumstances. One would often like to think, what goes around comes around but everyone knows some teams won't ever be able to be beat the big dogs. From what I've read, Beatty did not show good judgement in game management and conduct himself very well. I know Mueller doesn't conduct himself well in blowouts either. But I suppose those teams who are often blowing teams out are most often scrutinized. Personally if I were in this position, I'd rather be the one talked badly about vs getting my tail kicked.

I agree with 2,3,4. 1 is a little vague. If a team is up 42-0 with 5 min left, anything goes? I think a coach can show good/poor leadership and representation of his team based on these circumstances. One would often like to think, what goes around comes around but everyone knows some teams won't ever be able to be beat the big dogs. From what I've read, Beatty did not show good judgement in game management and conduct himself very well. I know Mueller doesn't conduct himself well in blowouts either. But I suppose those teams who are often blowing teams out are most often scrutinized. Personally if I were in this position, I'd rather be the one talked badly about vs getting my tail kicked.

 

I have to believe that deep down everyone feels that way.

I think half of the burden falls to the team that is losing. The moment they pull their starters the team that is winning must immediately do the same - even if it means they have to take a timeout to do so. I also think that in a blowout neither team should be trying trick plays or onside kicks or calling timeouts (all of which Manual did in the final minute of their first blowout loss to Trinity.)

Agree with all of the above, but the difficulty is that everything is seen through the prism if the losing team.

 

If the better teams runs any play and scores or even gains significant yardage, then the losing teams fans go nuts.

 

The other item to mention is that much of this is stoked by the behavior of the team that is down. Once they sense the game is over, sometimes the kids change their behavior, in that, instead of focusing on stopping the other team, now they want to take cheap shots, or start running their mouths in order to get someone from the leading side to react.

  • Author
I agree with 2,3,4. 1 is a little vague. If a team is up 42-0 with 5 min left, anything goes? I think a coach can show good/poor leadership and representation of his team based on these circumstances. One would often like to think, what goes around comes around but everyone knows some teams won't ever be able to be beat the big dogs. From what I've read, Beatty did not show good judgement in game management and conduct himself very well. I know Mueller doesn't conduct himself well in blowouts either. But I suppose those teams who are often blowing teams out are most often scrutinized. Personally if I were in this position, I'd rather be the one talked badly about vs getting my tail kicked.

 

Yes, the 5 minutes to go part of #1 is the one item that is subject to debate for me. If I am up 42-0 and don't play my backups, that is shame on me as coach. Five minutes seems like the point where I should be able to get my 2nd teamers on the field for offense and defense.

I think you also have to consider what the needs are of the winning team. Are certain players coming off an injury and need the reps? Does the team need to learn how to play a full (or almost a ) full game? Does the team need to work on certain things in anticipation of upcoming games? One could argue that the losing team has put themselves in the embarrassing position and that is not necessarily the winning's team problem. The primary focus of the winning team is improving their team, I would think, not worrying about their opponent's feelings. I don't know that there is a bright line between right and wrong on this. Keep in mind that sportsmanship is not confined to just the game itself. It is the acts and comments leading up to a game and afterwards as well.

  • Author
I think you also have to consider what the needs are of the winning team. Are certain players coming off an injury and need the reps? Does the team need to learn how to play a full (or almost a ) full game? Does the team need to work on certain things in anticipation of upcoming games? One could argue that the losing team has put themselves in the embarrassing position and that is not necessarily the winning's team problem. The primary focus of the winning team is improving their team, I would think, not worrying about their opponent's feelings. I don't know that there is a bright line between right and wrong on this. Keep in mind that sportsmanship is not confined to just the game itself. It is the acts and comments leading up to a game and afterwards as well.

 

Those acts/comments should have zero impact on how a coach handles his team in the game. If you play to those types of things, you only hurt yourself and your team.

It seems each week there is someone upset by how their team was treated in a blowout game. Of course there are gray areas to be discussed, but here are my rules for how to handle a blowout win:

 

1. Until you get to the running clock or the last 5 minutes of a game, anything goes.

 

2. Once you get to the running clock, the team that is winning by 45+ should pull their first team offense.

 

3. Winning team's first team defense can stay on field to maintain 45 point lead and protect second team from getting beat on by losing team's first team. First team D can stay on field until the losing team pulls its first team offense.

 

4. Winning team up by 45+ should have backups running basic offense with no trick plays and no long passes.

 

If teams follow these rules, we should see no problems with teams claiming poor sportsmanship.

 

Dead on for me

It seems each week there is someone upset by how their team was treated in a blowout game. Of course there are gray areas to be discussed, but here are my rules for how to handle a blowout win:

 

1. Until you get to the running clock or the last 5 minutes of a game, anything goes.

 

2. Once you get to the running clock, the team that is winning by 45+ should pull their first team offense.

 

3. Winning team's first team defense can stay on field to maintain 45 point lead and protect second team from getting beat on by losing team's first team. First team D can stay on field until the losing team pulls its first team offense.

 

4. Winning team up by 45+ should have backups running basic offense with no trick plays and no long passes.

 

If teams follow these rules, we should see no problems with teams claiming poor sportsmanship.

 

Good post VR. I agree with you 100 percent. Winning with class is very important and the guidelines you have suggested would ensure that.

I personally like the way John Petett does it at Monroe Co. When the game is 100% in control he starts substituting immediately, IMO as a HC you owe it to the guys who go against your starters everyday and make the team better but don't get a chance to get their name called or spend much time in the spotlight. Sometimes as a fan you would like to see the scoring continue, but in this case I think you have to reward those who deserve it when you have the chance...

I have a problem with tell 2nd string not to score. It doesn't matter if your up 40 or 50 points, no matter how much time is on the clock or whether 1st or 2nd string of losing team is in. These kids can't wait to get in the game and hopefully show what they have been learning in practice during the season. Let them try an execute the same plays the 1st string does in a real game situation, what better way to see their progression. I would hope all coaches understand that. This is in no way being unsportsmanlike. IT IS THE JOB OF THE OTHER TEAM TO STOP YOU.

I think you can throw it all out in the playoffs. It's not the winning teams fault that they are not playing a suitable opponent, nor should they be penalized because of it. The next week may be the one week that they need to be sharp, and need to work on things or look at some things versus an opponent rather than their own teamates at practice. You sign up to play in the playoffs, it's a part of it.

I personally like the way John Petett does it at Monroe Co. When the game is 100% in control he starts substituting immediately, IMO as a HC you owe it to the guys who go against your starters everyday and make the team better but don't get a chance to get their name called or spend much time in the spotlight. Sometimes as a fan you would like to see the scoring continue, but in this case I think you have to reward those who deserve it when you have the chance...

 

Agree 100%.

 

The best leaders care about their people; ALL of their people. As you rightly point out, giving your subs experience not only rewards them, but strengthens the whole team (for this year & future years).

 

I can tell that you are part of the military community, where the BEST leaders are forged.

Great post VOR, and don't forget..."do unto others as you would have them do unto you".

 

No, I didn't just make that up.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.